Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stuart Duff latest from Redweb

Stuart Duff looks set to join his home town club after training with Aberdeen this afternoon.

Jimmy Calderwood confirmed that he is set to sign "I don't foresee any problems with Stuart. He was out training with us this afternoon and everything went well. We will have to wait until the Club Doctor is back tomorrow to give Stuart his full medical but I cant see anything untoward arising so I see him being with us until the end of the season."

more to follow

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1218016,00.html

Sounds like a similar set up to the Neil McFarlane / Danny Griffin deals from a couple of seasons back.

If that is the case, then i have no problem with that.   

I was half expecting him to be signed up on a three year deal... ::)

Wouldn't have minded Griffin being signed on a longer term basis....

Duff however. :-\

I'll reserve judgement on Duff.

Derek Young's signing didn't exactly fill us with enthusiasm but he's not set a foot wrong since he joined.  In fact I was a bit disappointed he was benched for Saturday.

Still struggling to see what everyone means by Young has done okay. If they mean he has charged about alot and given 100% in most matches then I suppose that is fair enough. However I still cannot see what positive contiubtion he has brought to the team and how he has improved us as a team. Guy has no ability whats so ever and has struggled against any team who pass the ball with Falkirk in the league being a prime example. He never touched the ball.

As for Duff I cannot remember him once impressing me when we have played United so not a good start but will see how he does in a red shirt before making any judgements. 

Derek Young's signing didn't exactly fill us with enthusiasm but he's not set a foot wrong since he joined.

Not exactly true, he was utterly gash against Killie away at the start of the season (even though he won the corner we scored from woohoo) as he was doing his usual pointing to other players where to go and wandering away from where he should have been. Again as Jute says he was MIA against Falkirk and did nothing in the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149670&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149494&contentPK=19599761&folderPk=85757&pNodeId=149264

Calderwood said: "I don't think Stuart has got too much to prove. I don't want to sound big headed but I expect him to prove my judgment of him right. I have heard a lot about him and I have tried to sign him twice before. In the two days he has been here he has only substantiated what I thought of him.

Derek Young's signing didn't exactly fill us with enthusiasm but he's not set a foot wrong since he joined.  In fact I was a bit disappointed he was benched for Saturday.

Agree wasn't inspired by the Derek Dung signing, but surprised me for his first few months here, but really think the initial form has worn off, and personally think he has been poor for several weeks now

If they mean he has charged about alot and given 100% in most matches then I suppose that is fair enough

But he already charged about and gave 100% in his initial stint with us. Of that there was no doubt. But it wasn't his commitment and effort that made us nae too fussed to lose him. It was more the fact that, no matter how much effort he put into his game, he was still lacking in the quality required to play for AberdeenFC.

I read in the paper this morning that JC was saying Duff had been played out of posistion at left back, which he wasn't comfortable with, and that his best position was in midfield - he invisaged him plugging the Clark shaped gap - maybe he will be a decent player in midfield.

That's what I like about JC, he will look at a player, see he is being played out of position, then play him in his strongest role to get the best out of him.......

I read in the paper this morning that JC was saying Duff had been played out of posistion at left back, which he wasn't comfortable with, and that his best position was in midfield - he invisaged him plugging the Clark shaped gap - maybe he will be a decent player in midfield.

That's what I like about JC, he will look at a player, see he is being played out of position, then play him in his strongest role to get the best out of him.......

:lolabove:

Brilliant Chunky

CALDERWOOD TIPS DUFF FOR A STARRING DONS ROLE

08:50 - 18 January 2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood believes new recruit Stuart Duff can become a midfield star for the Dons.

The 25-year-old trained with his team-mates yesterday and is in contention to make his debut against former club Dundee United tomorrow.

Duff, who will sign a contract running to the end of the season after completing his medical today, has been used as a left back most recently by United but Calderwood does not view that as his likely role.

The Dons manager, who will retain the player for the long term if he can prove his worth between now and May, said: "Stuart can play anywhere across the defence but I feel his best position is in midfield. He has vision, is athletic, good in the air and has two good feet.

"I remember, just after I took charge at Dunfermline, hearing Alex Smith rave about Stuart. When I saw him play I realised why. He was full of confidence and doing well.

"I think he has lost confidence recently. He has been playing a lot at left back and, although he can play there, I didn't think it suited him.

"He is a player I have always admired. Just looking at Stuart in his first training session I can see he can be a really big asset for us."

Duff severed his eight-year association with Dundee United yesterday when his contract was cancelled to enable him to join the Dons.

The Tannadice side has not stipulated he should be left out of the Aberdeen team when the clubs meet in Dundee tomorrow.

The only thing which could keep Duff out of the travelling squad is a hitch in completing the formalities of his transfer.

Calderwood said: "Stuart's medical has been delayed until Friday because the doctor was not available any earlier but I don't foresee any problems, certainly not judging by the way he trained.

"There is nothing to prevent us from playing him against Dundee United."

The Dons manager has revealed the new arrival received a hot reception from his Pittodrie colleagues.

He said: "We held back from training to wait forStuart to arrive, so he's already been getting dog's abuse from the rest of the players. He was an hour late but I couldn't really fine him on his first day, especially before he'd signed a contract."

Duff, an Aberdonian and former Pittodrie season-ticket holder, was granted a free transfer after dropping out of Craig Levein's first-team plans at United.

Levein said: "Stuart leaves with my best wishes. He's a good lad but I just felt he'd been here too long and a fresh start would do him good. He wasn't going to play for us and at his age he needs games."

Calderwood is hopeful there will be further new arrivals during the transfer window and is in talks with Dutch defender Dave Bus, who is available on loan from De Graafschap.

Michael Hart, who faces up to five weeks on the sidelines with a back injury, remains a Dons player. Preston North End, the club he will join under freedom of contract, have not yet increased their offer for the player.

Calderwood held talks with Lee Miller yesterday as the forward considers the offer of a new contract by the Dons. Miller is keen to extend his stay in the north-east.

Richie Byrne, the other player in negotiations over a new deal, has also expressed his desire to reach an agreement.

I disagree.  I think he did well to start with, but of late he has been awful. 

My problem is he's keeping De Visscher out of the side without looking doing anything to justify his starting berth - IMO he would be a far better option on the right hand side.

In particular, against Motherwell at home he was bloody awful and cost us both goals...

I suppose he can do less harm in midfield than in defence, however it's hardly inspiring that a player that has been told he can leave a team we should be doing better than, is someone we have signed ...  :

Dude, welcome back  :thumbsup: First kelt then the pho. Rock on.