Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lovell not offered new deal

• 1 month later...

Sorry BTR, but i pretty much disagree with all of that. 

Miller and Lovell are different types of players completely.  Miller is good with his back to goal, holding the ball up, bringing other people into play, and is more of a "target man" than Lovell.

Lovell is more of an out and out striker who thrives when the ball is played through the channels, so he can get in behind defences.  As much as i like him, i've not seen anywhere near the movement or sharpness that he had when he was at Dundee.

Miller in my opinion, is a far better player.  Lovell may be the better center forward in terms of goals to starts, but as we've seen this season Miller is beginning to add goals to his game - add that with all the rest of his attributes and he's by far and away our most dangerous asset in an attacking sense, as has been alluded to by the coaches of the teams we've faced this season in the UEFA cup.

That's the thing about Lovell. We've all seen what he is capable of from his time at Dens Park. When he's on form and has the supply, he is a devastating striker. But he's never been given a fair crack of the whip!! I mean, he was the ONLY full-time Aberdeen player to score against Bayern Munich. What does he need to do to get into JC's good books? Change his name to Richie Byrne? Wear a Dunfermline top?

I'd still easily have Lovell and Miller upfront than Mackie who, despite being given a start in just about every game he can make it to, is still an abysmal excuse for a footballer ... nevermind a striker!!!

Lovell is fucking awful. You go on about the goals he scores. What about all the games he DOESN'T score in? For somebody who somehow has built up a mysterious belief in some deluded fools that he's the best striker at the club, he doesn't half look fucking shit in the majority of games he plays.

Lovell is fucking awful. You go on about the goals he scores. What about all the games he DOESN'T score in? For somebody who somehow has built up a mysterious belief in some deluded fools that he's the best striker at the club, he doesn't half look fucking shit in the majority of games he plays.

I wouldn't say he is awful. Aberdeen just don't play the game the way that suits Lovell best so his confidence is low and I think he has been managed quite poorly. The end result is awful, I agree, but you have to take some consideration of the circumstances. Playing with a team who play the ball on the floor through the channels I would bet Lovell will score a ton of goals. Unfortunately that won't be us.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Playing with a team who play the ball on the floor through the channels I would bet Lovell will score a ton of goals. Unfortunately that won't be us.

We played this way when he came on at half-time against Gretna.  We ended up creating alot of chances, two of which were one-on-ones between Lovell and the keeper.  Both times he took an extra touch and proceeded to trip over the ball.  It was very embarrassing.  It is quite staggering just how short of confidence he is.

We played this way when he came on at half-time against Gretna.  We ended up creating alot of chances, two of which were one-on-ones between Lovell and the keeper.  Both times he took an extra touch and proceeded to trip over the ball.  It was very embarrassing.  It is quite staggering just how short of confidence he is.

....but thats the crux of it. Confidence is everything for a striker and Lovell has had his knocked well out of him. JC is not willing to try to manage him back to confidence so we are just as well getting rid.

Guest bloo_toon_red

....but thats the crux of it. Confidence is everything for a striker and Lovell has had his knocked well out of him. JC is not willing to try to manage him back to confidence so we are just as well getting rid.

Comprende amigo.  I was merely adding weight to your claims.  You know, weight, as in, "Ajja has a very heavy wallet". ;)

I don't understand this confidence thing.

Sure you need a certain amount of confidence to play at a high level of any sport but surely you realise that you've got a level of 'it' if you're making a living out of the sport?

Why is it only strikers who need confidence and why is it them who are constantly singled out as lacking some when they are playing badly?

If I missed a couple of sitters during 90 minutes one Saturday then I'd still be a cocky fucker come the time of the final whistle.  Especially if I was going to go into the car park, get into my flash motor and speed off to nail my popstar girlfriend.

If I'd missed two penalties on the trot then I'd be nervous about taking the next one but I'd still have the confidence to kick the ball 12 yards past a 'keeper or fancy my chances in a 1-on-1.

Low in confidence strikers?

Fucking bottling, cry baby cunts more like!

Guest bloo_toon_red

Why is it only strikers who need confidence and why is it them who are constantly singled out as lacking some when they are playing badly?

I wouldn't say that.

Langfield's confidence was shot to feck after the recent drubbings we'd taken.  Considine's confidence definitely took a severe dent earlier in the season when he was holding back his normal game.  Scott Severin's reluctance to take a game by the scruff of the neck, like he used to be able to, is something to do with confidence as well I'd say.

I guess having high/low confidence is tied to consistency and is what marks out an average player from a good one.

He's got a lot of unfair stick over this, both times he was outside the box when he received the ball, the first he was sent out wide because he had to bend his run to stay onside because JDV took so long to look up and play the through ball which made it easier for the defender to get across and tackle him before he could get into a better shooting position.

The second one, he had to beat a defender, which he did and was unlucky that the second defender diving in got a slight nudge on the ball which stopped him striking it cleanly.

He would've been crucified just as much if he'd hit both opportunities first time instead of getting into a position where it was easier to score.

His link up play is fantastic, he produced a great assist for Nicholson's goal, and did the same sort of thing in the cup replay against Falkirk, one of the few games where we've played passing football. He has also won us a penalty and created a goal from nothing from chasing a lost cause ball and out muscling a defender to win the ball. In both these games I've seen him be described as lazy afterwards, even by our manager in one instance.

Guest bloo_toon_red

He's got a lot of unfair stick over this, both times he was outside the box when he received the ball, the first he was sent out wide because he had to bend his run to stay onside because JDV took so long to look up and play the through ball which made it easier for the defender to get across and tackle him before he could get into a better shooting position.

The second one, he had to beat a defender, which he did and was unlucky that the second defender diving in got a slight nudge on the ball which stopped him striking it cleanly.

Maybe you got a better perspective on it than I did but I still think the Lovell of old would've buried both chances.

Similarly, I was about to lose the rag with him for not shooting just as he played that assist for Nicholson.

I'm willing him on as much as possible to prove all the doubters wrong, but he does himself no favours on these occasions.  I thought he was our best player at Ibrox a few weeks ago.

I don't understand this confidence thing.

Sure you need a certain amount of confidence to play at a high level of any sport but surely you realise that you've got a level of 'it' if you're making a living out of the sport?

If I missed a couple of sitters during 90 minutes one Saturday then I'd still be a cocky fucker come the time of the final whistle.  Especially if I was going to go into the car park, get into my flash motor and speed off to nail my popstar girlfriend.

If I'd missed two penalties on the trot then I'd be nervous about taking the next one but I'd still have the confidence to kick the ball 12 yards past a 'keeper or fancy my chances in a 1-on-1.

Low in confidence strikers?

Fucking bottling, cry baby cunts more like!

If you don't put it down to confidence/self-belief then what is it ? He is clearly not a bad footballer or he wouldn't have been so successful for Dundee. C'mon, answers answers....

If you don't put it down to confidence/self-belief then what is it ? He is clearly not a bad footballer or he wouldn't have been so successful for Dundee. C'mon, answers answers....

Dip in form.

Making the wrong choices.

Not putting a shift in.

Niggling injury.

Plenty of decent reasons without having to cop out at "low in confidence".

Yes, deluded fools, that's what we must be to think Lovell is a good player, FFS, gies a break.

He isn't getting a fair crack at it, limited by niggling injuries and JC and as Ajja said, our style of fitba.

As has always been the case with Lovell, he needs a constant run in the team. That hasn't been forthcoming. I'd like him to stay as the replacement IMO won't be as good but he is proving more and more unreliable so I would not have any grumbles about him being allowed to leave. 

If the injuries were the only problem with him then I’d be happy enough to keep him as a supersub.  But he doesn’t come on with 15 minutes to go and bust a gut which is what you want someone with fresh legs to do.

It just hasn’t worked out for him here for one reason or another.  Why that is, is a completely different argument but I’d rather have a player who at least looked interested in turning up.

As far as I’m concerned, his card is marked at AFC.