Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Lovell not offered new deal

The BBC gossip column just lifts info from the papers - Think they're just reading between the lines of this from this morning:

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149212&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232924&home=yes&more_nodeId1=149229&contentPK=19564969

CALDERWOOD'S CONSISTENT DEMAND OF STRIKER LOVELL

08:50 - 16 January 2008

Steve Lovell has been told he must prove his consistency if he is to earn a new contract with Aberdeen.

With goalkeeper Derek Soutar moving on in thesummer, Lovell is the only player left at Pittodrie who has not been offered a deal.

The Englishman believes he does not deserve a new contract due to his poorseason at Aberdeen and his manager Jimmy Calderwood is in full agreement.

Former Dundee forward Lovell has scored three goals in the last five games for the Dons, but Calderwood is looking for more before he is convinced he should offer the player a new deal.

Calderwood said: "I read his comments about not feeling he has earned a new contract here and he is absolutely right. He is a favourite with the supporters, but there is a lot more to the game than just scoring goals.

"Darren Mackie is a fine example. Stevie is a better scorer, but Darren gives you other things. His work-rate is good, he chases lost causes and turns them into possession and he doesn't give the opposition a minute's peace.

"A Lovell on form would be a massive asset, but I need to see him doing the business in a three-month run, not in short bursts."

Calderwood insists he has not ruled out offering the player terms, but says Lovell must prove his fitness.

He said: "He had his best pre-season with us in the summer, but niggling injuries have meant he has not had a good run in the team.

"Derek Soutar is the type of lad who tells you exactly what is on his mind, but Stevie is a different animal. He is a deep individual and it is not easy to gauge how he feels at times.

"The big thing for Stevie is keeping himself fit as when he is on form, with the power and pace he has, he is a smashing player."

One player whose short-term future has been secured is Birmingham City winger Sone Aluko. The England youth international's loan deal has been extended until the end of the season.

I hope he does prove his worth over the coming months - way better option than Dobie IMO.

He's not had a good run in the team because Calderwood hauls him off whenever he goes 15 minutes without scoring.

A match fit, and match sharp Lovell would be a tremendous asset to the team, but he needs a good long run of games to get to that level.

Getting rid of Lovell would be a mistake. If he gets a decent run of games and we get a midfielder to supply him and Miller with decent service still think that we could have a decent front pairing who will get us the goals we need to get into Europe again this season.

Cannot believe players with injury history like Byrnne and Tounzani have been offered deals and Lovell is not.

Guest dundee_red

Getting rid of Lovell would be a mistake. If he gets a decent run of games and we get a midfielder to supply him and Miller with decent service still think that we could have a decent front pairing who will get us the goals we need to get into Europe again this season.

Totally agree with you there.  I thought some of the link up play between Miller & Lovell on Saturday showed that the potenital for them to be a good partnership is there.  The question is:  will they get the opportunity to develop it?

I'm pretty certain Lovell still has the best goals to games ratio (and by a considerable distance) of any striker on our books.

Lee Miller supposedly adds something to the team which is the reason why he can get a run of ten games without scoring and not be dropped, whereas Lovell has one or two dry games and is binned.  He's not even that dissimilar to Miller, Miller does have a much better first touch, but Lovell's movement and sharpness mark him out as the better centre-forward.  With the fixture congestion we have coming up, now is the time for him to get that much-needed match fitness and I wouldn't bet against him seizing his chance and getting into double figures before the season's out.

Lee Miller supposedly adds something to the team which is the reason why he can get a run of ten games without scoring and not be dropped, whereas Lovell has one or two dry games and is binned.  He's not even that dissimilar to Miller, Miller does have a much better first touch, but Lovell's movement and sharpness mark him out as the better centre-forward. 

Sorry BTR, but i pretty much disagree with all of that. 

Miller and Lovell are different types of players completely.  Miller is good with his back to goal, holding the ball up, bringing other people into play, and is more of a "target man" than Lovell.

Lovell is more of an out and out striker who thrives when the ball is played through the channels, so he can get in behind defences.  As much as i like him, i've not seen anywhere near the movement or sharpness that he had when he was at Dundee.

Miller in my opinion, is a far better player.  Lovell may be the better center forward in terms of goals to starts, but as we've seen this season Miller is beginning to add goals to his game - add that with all the rest of his attributes and he's by far and away our most dangerous asset in an attacking sense, as has been alluded to by the coaches of the teams we've faced this season in the UEFA cup.

Really do want Lovell to prove that he's worth a new contract but cant see him being an Aberdeen player next season. Whether he plays well and scores goals or not, he may feel that he hasnt been given a fair shot and spends too much time on the bench so will fancy moving on. He is a good finisher (apart from Parkhead last season when he should have scored 4) but has also this season shown that he hasnt fancied it much so will just wait and see.

Sorry BTR, but i pretty much disagree with all of that. 

Miller and Lovell are different types of players completely.  Miller is good with his back to goal, holding the ball up, bringing other people into play, and is more of a "target man" than Lovell.

Lovell is more of an out and out striker who thrives when the ball is played through the channels, so he can get in behind defences.  As much as i like him, i've not seen anywhere near the movement or sharpness that he had when he was at Dundee.

Miller in my opinion, is a far better player.  Lovell may be the better center forward in terms of goals to starts, but as we've seen this season Miller is beginning to add goals to his game - add that with all the rest of his attributes and he's by far and away our most dangerous asset in an attacking sense, as has been alluded to by the coaches of the teams we've faced this season in the UEFA cup.

I thought i was the only person who thought this. Agree with every single word. Get someone (Miller) to hold the ball up, and stick wee through balls in for Lovell and we'll see goals galore. Worked at Dundee, and it'll work here as well. If Lovell's the preferred starter at the weekend, we'll probably just hoof it up to him though. This will lead to cries of "he's lazy", "he doesn't fancy it", "he's shite". He's none of these things. He's just not much good in the air.

Starting 5 games and scoring 3 goals ..

Well I was thinking more in terms of his entire time at AFC, but I guess if the jersey fits...

Miller has 1 goal in his last 8 games, 8 goals this season froom 29 games, 12 goals from 52 starts (plus 9 as sub) since signing.

Lovell has 3 from his last 5 (only 2 starts?), and as such only 3 from 5 starts this season, 21 goals from 45 starts (plus 31 as sub) since signing.

Call me old fashioned, but a centre forward's job is to score goals.  Lovell is better at this and given the chance, he will do it, and better and more frequently than Lee Miller.  For all Miller's lack of pace and ability to look like he's towing a caravan for 90 minutes, he would be a far more complete player if he could sort out his extremely poor positional awareness.  If he could sort that part of his game out, he'd score much more goals and would probably find that his doubters would warm much more to him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lee Miller is a cracking footballer, but I think the wool has been pulled over people's eyes when it comes to his goalscoring ability (or lack of) in the SPL.

The problem with both Miller and Lovell in the squad is not that they are too similar footballwise.  The problem is that they are both players who only offer something when they have the ball at their feet.

If we're chasing a game, need to keep the ball up the opposition half to give our defence a breather or need to unsettle the opposition defenders by constantly putting them under pressure then they offer nothing.  Never mind tracking back to help out.

As with midfield, you need one hard tackling ball winner and another who has the legs and brain to link up to the strikers.

One striker wanting the ball but not willing to stick a boot in to win it himself, is a luxury we can barely afford.  Two playing like that would be suicide.

The problem with both Miller and Lovell in the squad is not that they are too similar footballwise.  The problem is that they are both players who only offer something when they have the ball at their feet.

If we're chasing a game, need to keep the ball up the opposition half to give our defence a breather or need to unsettle the opposition defenders by constantly putting them under pressure then they offer nothing.  Never mind tracking back to help out.

As with midfield, you need one hard tackling ball winner and another who has the legs and brain to link up to the strikers.

One striker wanting the ball but not willing to stick a boot in to win it himself, is a luxury we can barely afford.  Two playing like that would be suicide.

Kinda what we're missing in the loss of Brewster?

I still think Lovell is capable of being the undisputed number one striker at the club.

He was a signing that genuinely excited me about where the team was headed under Calderwood. The team has gone on to fulfill a lot of that excitement but Lovell has been a desperate disappointment. He has been good, excellent at times in fact but the truth is he hasn't came close to being what he could/should have been be it through injury/lack of form etc.

That said, he is probably better than we can afford to replace him with and I still have faith he will come good as he still is a very good player, I just wish he'd show it more often.

Incidentally, that goal against Falkirk was the first time I saw a genuine "partnership" between Lovell and Miler. Long may it continue.

• 2 weeks later...