Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Moving Away

Andrew

On subject, I say go for it Andrew

You're "young" enough to give it a go and if it doesn't work out still head home.

Regarding folk's comments about missing family, the world is just so much smaller a place than when thel likes of me were your age.

Whats the worst that can happen.....you dinnae like it, you come home.

If you don't try it, you could always regret not taking the chance  :thumbsup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely living anywhere is what you make it tho - the weather doesn't bother me in the slightest - I don't spend endless days watching the telly or playing on an xbox and having a bbq in the rain just adds to the fun

Friends and family are exactly why I love living in Scotland

I love going on holiday but I love coming home again too

Each to their own I suppose  :thumbsup:

Absolutely all of this.

At your young age,  I'd travel and see as much of the world and different cultures as you possibly can, before making any decisions about where to settle.

We moved to the US, 5 years ago at the grand old ages of 44 and 43, for a very specific reason  ( and it wasn't to avoid conscription or the plod).  We live in Alaska, and love it, have lived in a couple of other States and have definite preference for the northern half of the country.  Can't abide being south of the Mason Dixon line.

With all that being said, we're retired, don't have to work and my wife flies home 3 times a year to visit her family.

I might try to make it back if we make a final  :o ,  but our plan has always been to return to Scotland to live.

One thing I'd say about getting into the US (and Canada) is it's a lot harder (and more expensive) to get a visa to live here than you might think.

At your young age,  I'd travel and see as much of the world and different cultures as you possibly can, before making any decisions about where to settle.

We moved to the US, 5 years ago at the grand old ages of 44 and 43, for a very specific reason  ( and it wasn't to avoid conscription or the plod).  We live in Alaska, and love it, have lived in a couple of other States and have definite preference for the northern half of the country.  Can't abide being south of the Mason Dixon line.

With all that being said, we're retired, don't have to work and my wife flies home 3 times a year to visit her family.

I might try to make it back if we make a final  :o ,  but our plan has always been to return to Scotland to live.

One thing I'd say about getting into the US (and Canada) is it's a lot harder (and more expensive) to get a visa to live here than you might think.

Agree re the visa side of things and have always wanted to spend time in Alaska. But absolutely love living in California (NYC was exciting etc but got to be draining after a while).

Agree re the visa side of things and have always wanted to spend time in Alaska. But absolutely love living in California (NYC was exciting etc but got to be draining after a while).

I can only re-iterate regarding the visa situation. It took well over 8 months, plus a face to face interview with USCIS in Chicago, plus a shit load of additional info, affidavits from family and friends etc. to get my Spouse visa back in 2012. Actually began the process in early 2011, lawyer kept asking for more info, filed in about Sept 2011, green card in June 2012! Cost about $5000 in total.

Now I'm going through it again, because my wife died before the 2 years "conditional" period was up I have had to apply for "Change of Status", more affidavits, more documents, more forms and another $2000. Filed in October and I'm still waiting to hear"

Lawyer says I should be OK, but this is USCIS we're talking about. Having said that I'd still like to go for full US citizenship once I qualify.

As has been said, if you're looking at the USA do PLENTY research into how/why you are going to get your visa.

• 1 month later...

Since Korova wouldn't play Pater Pawlet baby I realised I have to move away. Anyway I have to move away anyway. I have to move away. I really should move away. I think I might move to Canada. I a

Canada? They don't want you baby.