Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

World Cup 2022: Uefa members back winter tournament in Qatar

mizer

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/german-football-boss-reinhard-rauball-says-uefa-may-leave-fifa-20141115-11nldd.html

The head of the German football league (DFL) said the crisis at FIFA over the 2022 and 2018 World Cup bid process could raise questions about its credibility and thoughts of Europe breaking away from the world governing body.

World soccer's governing body was plunged into chaos this week when FIFA ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert said there were no grounds to reopen the controversial process which led to Russia being given the 2018 finals and Qatar the 2022 tournament.

Allegations of corruption and bribery surrounding the process have accompanied FIFA and the host nations ever since.

Three hours after Eckert's statement, former US prosecutor Michael J. Garcia, who led the investigation over an 18-month period, said Eckert's 42-page statement had misrepresented his report and that he would take the case to the FIFA appeals committee.

"It was a serious attempt to process the issues regarding the 2018 World Cup and 2022 World Cup," DFL President Reinhard Rauball told Kicker magazine on Saturday.

"The result is the communication nuclear meltdown which rocks the foundations of FIFA as I have never experienced it," said Rauball, who is not a member of FIFA.

The DFL is in charge of Germany's top two professional divisions.

Rauball, who is also chairman of Borussia Dortmund, said FIFA should make the report public in order to see "what was accused and how it was evaluated."

"Two things must happen," he said. "Not only publishing the ethics commission decision but also the appeal by Mr Garcia so it is clear what is being accused and how it was evaluated."

"Also what was not taken into account and if it was correct to leave those things out," he said.

Rauball, who has been critical in the past of FIFA's decision to award the World Cup to Qatar, said if that did not happen then questions would be asked about whether FIFA was the right body to lead football.

"If that does not happen and this crisis is not solved credibly then one has to think about the question whether one is still in good hands at FIFA," he said.

"One option that would be seriously considered is for UEFA (European nations) to break away from FIFA."

I see Bernstein is calling for England (and others from UEFA) to boycott the next world cup. I'd genuinely agree with it, FIFA need to be brought into line.  Though I can see it just leaving England completely out in the cold, especially if that oxygen thief Blatter is still around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30522170

Fifa's independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia has quit in protest over the handling of his report into bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

The American lawyer cited a "lack of leadership" at the top of football's world governing body.

Garcia said he lost confidence in the independence of German judge Joachim Eckert, an ethics committee colleague.

Garcia resigned a day after Fifa's appeals panel rejected his challenge of Eckert's summary of his report.

Russia won the right to host the 2018 World Cup, while Qatar was awarded the 2022 tournament

Garcia's findings were released as a 42-page summary of the 430-page report.

He said the summary was "erroneous" and complained to Fifa, which said his appeal was "not admissible"./QUOTE]

Just cancel international football. Seems so many players don't give a fuck about it anymore

• 2 months later...

Fifa says it will not pay compensation to clubs and leagues unhappy about plans to play the 2022 Qatar World Cup in November and December.

It also said no apology was necessary for the scheduling of the tournament, which will disrupt a number of leagues.

A Fifa taskforce has recommended the 2022 World Cup take place in winter to avoid Qatar's hot summer temperatures.

Richard Scudamore: "It's the European leagues that are suffering the most"

"There will be no compensation," said Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke. "There are seven years to reorganise."

Fifa's executive committee will meet in Zurich next month to ratify the taskforce's recommendation.

Valcke also suggested that a 2022 World Cup final on 23 December was looking increasingly likely.

B-rOzyNW8AELP0t.jpg

Although clearly there are some very poor conditions for workers, I think the reason for the move was probably more to do with the fans than the players.

Last month, the Guardian reported that over 400 Nepalese migrant workers had already died at building sites. Between 2010 and 2012 more than 700 workers from India lost their lives working on construction sites in Qatar, too. A report by the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) says that if conditions don’t get any better, by the time the World Cup kicks off, at least 4,000 migrant workers will have died on the job.

Although clearly there are some very poor conditions for workers, I think the reason for the move was probably more to do with the fans than the players.

The fans?!? When did FIFA give a shit about us? Certainly not any time that cunt has been in charge. It's been moved because FIFA know they look like complete arsewhipes and it was completely illogical allowing some backward country with no relevant sporting history to host the biggest tournament in the world, in summer.

That is one world cup I will not watch.  I hope the European countries boycott it. Fuck FIFA, UEFA is bigger than all the other federations put together.  It wouldn't surprise me if UEFA got support from a few other countries anyway as they've pissed off a lot of federations.  Death would be too kind for Sepp Blatter and his arseholes.

Fuck Qatar and fuck FIFA.