Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hull City AFC remaned

mizer

Hull City AFC will be renamed Hull City Tigers, says club owner Assem Allam.

The "Association Football Club" part of the Yorkshire club's name, which has been in effect since their formation in 1904, will be scrapped.

Any references to AFC on club branding will be phased out, but will remain on the shirt crest during their first season back in the Premier League.

Allam wants to market the club as Hull City Tigers locally and Hull Tigers to national and international audiences.

He told the Hull Daily Mail:  "In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly.

"My dislike for the word 'City' is because it is common. I want the club to be special.

"It is about identity. 'City' is a lousy identity. Hull City Association Football Club is so long."

Egypt-born Allam, who moved to Hull in 1968 to study and has since set up a multi-million pound company in nearby Melton, took charge of the club in December 2010.

"I have always used short names in business. It gives you power in the science in marketing. The shorter, the more powerful the message. In Tigers, we have a really strong brand."

Allam's son and vice-chairman, Ehab Allam defended the decision to drop AFC from the club's name after 109 years.

"AFC is redundant, it is not used by the club. The fans never mention AFC, nor do the media," he said.

Bernard Noble of the Hull City Official Supporters' Club admitted he had mixed feelings about the decision.

"My personal opinion is I'm disappointed because I'm a bit of a traditionalist," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"But this guy saved us from liquidation and administration and it's his club. I will still say 'I'm going to watch City', 'I'm going to watch the Tigers', 'I'm going to watch Hull'. I will still say that and so will many other people.

"As far as Hull City Tigers is concerned, the fans - the 25,000 people who will be there for the first home game against Norwich - they'll say 'I'm off down to watch City'.

Managing director Nick Thompson, meanwhile, urged supporters "to judge it in the fullness of time".