Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

RDS upper closed for 2013/14

Personally I think it's the right move, imo 5 years too late. The view is shit from up there and there really is no benefit of having it open for 3/4 of the games when we were decent let alone now.

It's good they've consulted the ST's and seem to be going about it the right way.

Mizer, they said it will be open for select games (i.e, against the Tims i'd imagine).

It'll piss a few folk off but it's not like there's nowhere else to sit.  I only ever sat up there for the atmosphere, and now that is pretty non-existent.  Any reasonably-minded fan seated up there (!) will realise that it makes no financial sense for the club to keep it open.  It'll take a substantial cost element away from matchday operations in terms of stewarding, catering, cleaning, security.  And the club saving money has got to be seen as a good thing.

It'll piss a few folk off but it's not like there's nowhere else to sit.  I only ever sat up there for the atmosphere, and now that is pretty non-existent.  Any reasonably-minded fan seated up there (!) will realise that it makes no financial sense for the club to keep it open.  It'll take a substantial cost element away from matchday operations in terms of stewarding, catering, cleaning, security.  And the club saving money has got to be seen as a good thing.

Agree completely. The view from the back of the lower deck is good too and My view in the SS is good. And the money thing is a no brainer. They should have done this years ago.

It is a pity that crowds have got so bad that we are now having to shut parts of our ground to save money. Maybe McInnes will be able to put a team on the pitch that will get enough people back through the doors to allow them to start opening it up again.

That's why they used the word "close".  It will be closed next season!

*Except for certain games

Mizer, they said it will be open for select games (i.e, against the Tims i'd imagine).

Thats my point, why put it as a wee footnote - could have managed it a bit better.

Sensible idea to be honest, most other clubs with upper tiers and without the attendance levels to fill them close top tiers when not required.

Not sure why anyone would think its a negative move or a sad day for the club.  All makes perfect sense!

And the idea that the club should be doing something to boost the atmosphere instead doesn't wash with me either.  Having the crowd gathered closer together will boost the atmosphere, it may take a little time but it'll get better.

It's going to be closed permananetly soon anyway when the rest of he ground fails safety certification/falls down. Maybe a way of pressurisong a move?

Regardless I think it's a good move, I did used to sit in the upper Dick-end for some games, but back in the day when I had a ST it was in the Sooth Satnd and I was happy enough there.

It's going to be closed permananetly soon anyway when the rest of he ground fails safety certification/falls down. Maybe a way of pressurisong a move?

Regardless I think it's a good move, I did used to sit in the upper Dick-end for some games, but back in the day when I had a ST it was in the Sooth Satnd and I was happy enough there.

Nae happening. There's fuck all wrong with the ground and there's still zero reason to move because of Pittodrie.

The chairman of the Dons Supporters Together group has questioned Aberdeen FC's priorities in closing part of the Richard Donald Stand.

Greig Ingram said he was surprised that the SPL club had responded to a survey of fans by making their initial reaction a "negative one".

On Wednesday, Pittodrie bosses confirmed that the upper section of the stand will be mothballed, ostensibly "to create a better match day atmosphere".

The club stated that the section might be opened for "selected fixtures throughout the season", but followed that up with the claim that "fans wanted to sit in the more heavily populated areas of Pittodrie Stadium."

However, Mr Ingram told STV that the decision sent out worrying signals about Aberdeen's ambitions in future seasons.

He said: "The message seems to be: "We're going to give up on trying to fill our stadium and we're going to close a section of the ground."

"It seems strange as an initial response to the fans' survey. It should have been something more positive.

"Unfortunately, it has followed on from their response to some of the supporters, who had been campaigning to have the Merkland Road [part of the ground] used as a place for banners and singing.

"The club turned that idea down and gave practical reasons for doing so. But two negatives is the first response to what the fans wanted and it's not a good move."

Mr Ingram added that, while Aberdeen still boasted a hardcore number of aficionados, the dwindling crowds in recent years reflected his belief that matters needed to improve significantly, both on and off the pitch.

He said: "I wanted them to tell us: "Here are a whole range of initiatives, [involving] things such as ticket pricing, entertainment at the game, improving the catering, which is an issue, and of course, improving the product on the field.

"Clubs have to work much harder at marketing and giving people a sense of occasion and making them want to go along to matches.

"Otherwise, they will just stay at home and watch quality football on television or in their local pub. You can't just expect them to keep turning up."

I agree with the above.

Personally I think it's the right move, imo 5 years too late. The view is shit from up there and there really is no benefit of having it open for 3/4 of the games when we were decent let alone now.

It's good they've consulted the ST's and seem to be going about it the right way.

^^^

This.

See Huns are making this into Toastergate 2 and convincing themselves we are bust because of his move and convincing themselves it is because they were relegated elected to the fourth tier of Scottish football on account of everyone having an agenda against.

Fuckwits one and all

I agree with the above.

Banners and flags. Fuck sake Banners and flags do not make people want to come to the match. infact they piss off a fair amount of people who dont want their view blocked because you want to wave yer flag. If they went to AFC and suggested they give up space a stand which is still reasonably populated and visible on TV so the ultras and co to lay giant banners over seats then they need their heads examined

Shut the RDU for a full season (thats right not even open it up for celtic games as we never get more than 15000 for them these days). Move the family section into the main stand and open up the merkland to the apparent 'hardcore'. Lower roof, closer to the pitch and no suits to break up any pockets of noise. Banners etc are optional.

RDU has roughly the same capacity as the Merkland end and but does not need the same level of stewarding because of its layout (no stair towers etc). As BTR said this makes financial sense until such time as some magical solution is found that will see the fans hammering on the ticket office doors for the 3050 seats lying empty up the stairs.

As for the blue meanies? who cares what they think. Get our own house in order first