🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Darren Mackie fan club

Mentorred

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Darren Mackie has no regrets after American dream dies

Ex-Aberdeen FC striker linked with move to Highland League

Published: 23/10/2013

STATESIDE: Darren Mackie in action for Phoenix.

FORMER Aberdeen FC striker Darren Mackie today claimed he has no regrets after seeing his dreams of a new life in America die.

Red Army favourite Mackie is back home after what he described as a “disastrous end” to his 10-month spell with USL Pro-League side Phoenix FC.

The return of Mackie, who made close to 400 appearances for Aberdeen during his 14 years at Pittodrie, has sparked speculation he could end up in the Highland League.

Big-spending Formartine United and Turriff have been reluctant to comment on rumours the 31-year-old could be bound for either of them.

Mackie admitted he’s hoping to keep playing, but was reluctant to say much more at this stage.

He said: “I’m really missing my football.

“I’ve spoken to a few people about a number of things.

“Nothing has been decided yet though, so I can’t say anything more at this stage.”

Word on the street is he signed for Turra last night. He was at training and he has a job with Turra's main sponsors

Word on the street is he signed for Turra last night. He was at training and he has a job with Turra's main sponsors
If so then good for him and I hope it all works out.Feel there is a bit too much schadenfreude going on here

FORMER Aberdeen FC forward Darren Mackie this afternoon agreed to sign for Turriff United.

The Scotland U21 cap is due to put pen to paper on a deal with the Highland League club, after talks today.

The capture of Mackie will be the biggest transfer deal in the history of the The Haughs club.

As revealed in later editions of today’s Evening Express, Turriff chairman George Manson was closing in on the 31-year-old.

Mackie returns to Scottish football after an unsuccessful spell with Phoenix FC in the USA.

He made over 300 appearances in 14 years with Aberdeen FC.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...