Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The (lack of) Pittodrie Atmosphere

Craig told this week's RedMatchday "Chatting with the players and staff after the match at Tannadice last week it was noted that the wonderful 4,000 supporters seemed to make more noise than twice the number at Pittodrie.

Much as I like the RDU, it's time to close it for the majority of games.

Definitely, not sure why they've kept it open tbh. Makes the games look even worse on TV.

Craig told this week's RedMatchday "Chatting with the players and staff after the match at Tannadice last week it was noted that the wonderful 4,000 supporters seemed to make more noise than twice the number at Pittodrie.

Much as I like the RDU, it's time to close it for the majority of games.

Problem is folk go to tannadice (well the shed) to get drunk, stand and sing

Folk go to Pittodrie to sit down, moan and boo Mackie.

Closing the RDU won't necessarily help with that

As much criticism as these things always get, perhaps having a specific 'singing area' at Pittodrie would help, similar to the ones they've had at Hampden for the past couple of seasons.

Often having one group singing I've found leads to people in other parts of the ground joining in, they've just needed someone to start up and it could create a better atmosphere.

As much criticism as these things always get, perhaps having a specific 'singing area' at Pittodrie would help, similar to the ones they've had at Hampden for the past couple of seasons.

Often having one group singing I've found leads to people in other parts of the ground joining in, they've just needed someone to start up and it could create a better atmosphere.

They tried that and it was either ignored by everyone who preferred their usual seats/standing area or was populated by utter morons.

I would shut the RDU if only to save the club money. I do think the slightly less sparse support would make for a better atmosphere as well. And aye. Aberdeen fans are miserable cunts. But I remember it not being that way. I remember when I sat in the RDU (back around the start of the JIG era) fans up at the back would sing all the time. Now I never hear them. Quite simply I think the team needs to create atmosphere with good fitba. And it looks like we're going in the right direction with that.  :thumbsup:

I would shut the RDU if only to save the club money. I do think the slightly less sparse support would make for a better atmosphere as well. And aye. Aberdeen fans are miserable cunts. But I remember it not being that way. I remember when I sat in the RDU (back around the start of the JIG era) fans up at the back would sing all the time. Now I never hear them. Quite simply I think the team needs to create atmosphere with good fitba. And it looks like we're going in the right direction with that.  :thumbsup:

A thumping win and good crowd on Sat would help with that.

As a RDU ST holder I would miss not being able to stand and sing when I want as if I had to move to the SS or RDL I'd be stuck sitting on my hands for most the game like 90% of grounds in the country.  The reason the atmosphere is so good at (some) away games is because folk are standing more, esp the shed.

Club have sold season tickets for RDS so not a chance they can shut it now. Also where the main corporate area is so again shutting it is a non starter.

Think Tyrant is right though. If the team are playing decent football it will get the fans involved and help create a better atmoshpere.

A thumping win and good crowd on Sat would help with that.

As a RDU ST holder I would miss not being able to stand and sing when I want as if I had to move to the SS or RDL I'd be stuck sitting on my hands for most the game like 90% of grounds in the country.  The reason the atmosphere is so good at (some) away games is because folk are standing more, esp the shed.

Agree re the standing. I think we all do. All-seaters have throttled the life out of days out at the fitba.

As much as I (along with many) cursed for them, I think the Ultra's started up most of the signing when they occupied the back of the RDU. I was a season ticket holder up at the back during Calderwood and McGhee and the atmosphere and signing definitely went down after the Ultra's got the boot. As you say though, if the players are playing well then the atmosphere and signing goes up. During McGhee, it was a morgue! I've moved down to South Stand as the atmosphere is the same everywhere now a days. Me and my mates always say that we wish there was a season ticket for away games as just the atmosphere, signing and don't forget about the piss up is so much better than spending £23 to sit quietly during home games.

Club have sold season tickets for RDS so not a chance they can shut it now. Also where the main corporate area is so again shutting it is a non starter.

Think Tyrant is right though. If the team are playing decent football it will get the fans involved and help create a better atmoshpere.

We're talking of closing the RDU not the entire RDS

As much as I (along with many) cursed for them, I think the Ultra's started up most of the signing when they occupied the back of the RDU. I was a season ticket holder up at the back during Calderwood and McGhee and the atmosphere and signing definitely went down after the Ultra's got the boot. As you say though, if the players are playing well then the atmosphere and signing goes up. During McGhee, it was a morgue! I've moved down to South Stand as the atmosphere is the same everywhere now a days. Me and my mates always say that we wish there was a season ticket for away games as just the atmosphere, signing and don't forget about the piss up is so much better than spending £23 to sit quietly during home games.

I think that is really good that they did that so deaf people could join in the singing too.

Obviously I can understand the Hilsborough group being quoted on stories like this, but making their reaction a part of the headline and main jist of the article totally takes away from the actual story. There's a problem and people are thinking of ways to fix it.

It's like nimbyism or trying to discuss politics/war. You're not allowed to have progressive ideas, because the status quo MUST NEVER BE QUESTIONED

The hilsborough fans didn't die because there was standing, they died because there was UNSAFE standing, and criminally lax policing that crammed folk in to enclosed/caged pens like sardines and blocked all the exits. Plus the other well documented lack of basic emergency service response.

The hillsborough group can get to fuck imo.  The findings to their independent enquiry have ruled that 97 people died because the police were useless and the stadium was a death trap.  Neither of these things have anything to do with fans wanting to watch a football match on their feet and they should mind their own fucking business. 

Terrible atmosphere today, perhaps because we all expected a comfortable win and got it with out too much to shout about, positive or negative

Section Y steps was ok but it sounded dead elsewhere. Only perked up once the jutes started waving union jacks.