Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Garages in Aberdeen

RDU_64

Thought there was a thread on this from ages ago but I can't search it.

Anyway, car's coming up for MOT in the next couple of weeks but it needs attention before it would pass it such as ABS light coming on and possible clutch/gearbox attention. I'm looking for a garage that won't rip me off and no problems! Anyone got any recommendations?

Thought there was a thread on this from ages ago but I can't search it.

Anyway, car's coming up for MOT in the next couple of weeks but it needs attention before it would pass it such as ABS light coming on and possible clutch/gearbox attention. I'm looking for a garage that won't rip me off and no problems! Anyone got any recommendations?

I use Granite City Motors which is beside Simply Self Storage just across the Persley Bridge from Tesco. They've made mistakes with my cars but they're honest and sort them with minimal fuss. They're reasonably priced too. Although I do have a rain water leak in my sister's car that's been there 3 times to get sorted but they hinna managed.

I use Granite City Motors which is beside Simply Self Storage just across the Persley Bridge from Tesco. They've made mistakes with my cars but they're honest and sort them with minimal fuss. They're reasonably priced too. Although I do have a rain water leak in my sister's car that's been there 3 times to get sorted but they hinna managed.

So they've fucked up your car and they haven't managed to fix your sister's motor.  Great plug.

John Park in the centre of town is yer man.

So they've fucked up your car and they haven't managed to fix your sister's motor.  Great plug.

John Park in the centre of town is yer man.

Aye I know.. but the thing I like about them is they're honest. I reckon that's getting harder and harder to find. Having trust in your garage probably isn't all that common.

Agree with the Tyrant, Sillet's cheapest in toon... I managed to get Colin's Tyres to match them cos I like to use 'em, but a mechanic I ken said Sillets by far cheapest normally.

Tyrant - any luck shiftin' the WRX yet?

The Tyrant? Am I in liquidation?

Not as yet. Hunners of folk wanting me to swap for their buckets of shite. Had a few cheeky(ish) offers but I've been standing quite firm on the price. One boy was all set to come up from Falkirk and buy it but cancelled at the last minute with some horrendous excuse. Why folk canna just say "Actually I've decided against it" I dinna ken but there you go.

Call what IQ reducers?

I have a completely different view of WRX owners, at least the online community. Lots of intelligent, helpful people in that lot.

When I first got my WRX my friends were like "Dude, get some aviators and pop your collar when you drive around" and "Seriously? I never thought you'd be one of those" and just various comments like that.

Low prices, highly skilled tUnerRz with silly hair, silly trousers, and silly hats, too much playstation and too much X games, and it all got to be too much altogether. Lack of accessible motorsports parks or lack of interest in actual motorsports (as opposed to driving like imbeciles on the public roads) has also troubled insurance agents, lamp posts, trees, and surgeons alike.

For several years, Subaru advertising has targeted gays, partially through its support of the Rainbow Card program

I'm not a lesbian, but i am bisexual...and I drive an 03 Subaru WRX

Conclusion - Subarus Imprezas are driven exclusively by idiots and gays.  We've all seen the big-eared boys on the farm.

So folk are still generalising to ridiculous extents then.  ::)

I drive an Impreza but I always drive carefully and don't exceed the speed limit more than anyone else. The amount of times I get  neds trying to draw me into a race is ridiculous. Then they go flying off ahead of me and I stay happily on the inside lane. So get it up ye. I don't "drive like an imbecile on public roads".  :hammer:

Another fact that most people overlook when looking down on Imprezas is that the average fucking ned just can't afford to own/run one. Hence the vast majority of Impreza drivers are oil workers. Especially on the owners club forums anyway. It's ignorance more than anything else. The same reason that people are racist etc.

::)

I realise you're probably fishing but fuck it I'll bite.

That's not a hard one to counter:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201148432765128/sort/default/make/subaru/postcode/ab244la/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/323718/usedcars?logcode=flp

You can find buckets of almost any car for next to nothing. Buying the car is the easy part though. It's running it that's going to price the average ned well out of owning one.

C'mon Tyrant, do you really think I care what anybody else drives? Play along, it's just a joke min.  8)

Joking aside, there was a good article in an issue of Practical Classics magazine last year plotting the evolution of 4-wheel-drive.  They compared a Jenson Interceptor (The "Gentleman's Express") as one of the first to adopt the technology, against an Audi GT Quattro, as the first to attempt to bring it to the masses, against the Subaru Impreza, which did bring it to a wider audience and its relative cheapness (in terms of bang for your buck) brought it to the attention of a generation that could now afford it, but at the cost of adopting the "boy-racer" image which has ended up tarnishing the Subaru brand. It does take a certain type of person to want to buy one now really, enthusiasts mainly I'd suggest, which narrows your market.

So working in the oil industry means you're not a med then? Income presents no barrier to being a ned. Spending it on an Impreza simply confirms it.

I'm probably going to regret asking but what possible reason did you have for buying a rocket of a car when you only "exceed the speed limit as much as everyone else", whatever that means?

I've bought fast cars, because they go fast and I drove them like that. You're choice and all that but buying a car who's reason for existence is going fast to pootle about seems quite bizarre.

So working in the oil industry means you're not a med then? Income presents no barrier to being a ned. Spending it on an Impreza simply confirms it.

I'm probably going to regret asking but what possible reason did you have for buying a rocket of a car when you only "exceed the speed limit as much as everyone else", whatever that means?

I've bought fast cars, because they go fast and I drove them like that. You're choice and all that but buying a car who's reason for existence is going fast to pootle about seems quite bizarre.

Everyone exceeds the speed limit. Sometimes accidentally, sometimes on purpose and usually not by much. I'm in that boat. I'm too worried about getting points on my license to drive like a tit and I'm not naive enough to think that I'll get away with it. Especially not in a motor like an Impreza where cops will watch you like a hawk.

The Impreza has mental acceleration. Which is awesome fun to drive. But having fast acceleration has nothing to do with the top speed. I've accelerated quickly but never driven anywhere near the top speed. Overtaking is a breeze in that car. I've never been caught speeding (touch wood) in the Impreza because once I've accelerated to the speed limit I'll not go any faster. The bottom line is that you don't have to speed to enjoy driving an Impreza. Away from the speed and acceleration the handling and drive are a joy to experience. Being a VW enthusiast you wouldn't know anything about that. ;) I like VWs. I owned one not too long ago and it was an absolute workhorse that never let me down. But it was hopeless when it came to driving enjoyment. Admittedly the model I had wasn't really built for that.

The 4x4 factor was also an attractive one at the time as it was winter and we'd had a couple of nasty winters previously.