Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Brown Must Go

Well, there's no denying that he has made vast improvements to the team's structure since replacing McGhee.

However, before McGhee came onboard, Calderwood left behind a pretty good team that clinched 4th place in the league. It's taken Brown a year and a half to get us where we are now. Did McGhee really have that much time at Aberdeen to create a year and a half's worth of backpeddling?

Even someone as inept at McGhee surely cannot undo so much in 18 months. So why has it taken so long for Brown and Knox to turn things around? Is it too much dependence on the Aberdeen old boys club?

Well, there's no denying that he has made vast improvements to the team's structure since replacing McGhee.

We're going to finish 8th or 9th in the SPL, we have no width in our team and we don't create enough chances to score goals.  I find it truly astonishing how anyone could call that an improvement, let alone a vast one.  It really wasn't a difficult task, in this SPL season to have got tope 6, which is a MINIMUM target.

I think he should resign and let a younger, hungrier man come in.  For me, that's not a knee-jerk, as I've thought that someone should've been in the process of being groomed by now.  A year and a half ago when McGhee left I wanted Derek McInnes but that ship has long since sailed.  Could Derek Adams step up?  Or Pressley?  Only time will tell.  We need a young man, a hard man, an ambitious man.  I think both those men would take the job, but I'm sure there would be plenty of other candidates too.

Did McGhee really have that much time at Aberdeen to create a year and a half's worth of backpeddling?

Yes.

His first game in charge put us year backwards. Brown's job is far from done, and today was fucking shite and I'm fucking sick at it, but it's on it's way.

8 wins in the league, cup defeats to East Fife and a shite Hibs side, no full backs signed, no width in the team, and what budget he had spent on filling the team with defensive midfielders and centre halfs of course he should walk. He will not however and his brand of negative football will continue to drive fans away.

Old story, whoever the manager they will never be given as much money to spend as will be spent replacing them.

It's a fucking joke.  IF the huge amounts of money dished out on payoffs was invested in the team we'd probably have a decent team.

As true as that is, there's also sweet fuck all keeping on a manager who's quite clearly not the right man for the job.

It's interesting to note that so many people are happy to give managers "time" to get their team into shape.  I think this is all fine and well when you're talking about putting a team together to win the SPL title, but all we are talking about is putting together a team that is competitive in the SPL and can get to a cup final and qualify for Europe now and again.

Since Ebbe Skovdahl took us to both cup finals in 2000, here is a list of the managers of non-Glasgow clubs who have taken their clubs to cup finals since:

Paulo Sergio (Heart of Midlothian)

Pat Fenlon (Hibernian)

Kenny Shiels (Kilmarnock)

Stuart McCall (Motherwell)

Derek Adams (Ross County)

Peter Houston (Dundee Utd)

Gus McPherson (St Mirren)

Gordon Chisholm (Queen of the South)

Craig Levein (Dundee Utd)

Steven Kenny (Dunfermline Ath)

Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)

John Collins (Hibernian)

Rowan Alexander (Gretna)

Valdas Ivanauskas (Heart of Midlothian)

Jim Leishman (Dunfermline Ath)

Gordon Chisholm (Dundee Utd)

Terry Butcher (Motherwell)

Jimmy Calderwood (Dunfermline Ath)

Davie Hay (Livingston)

Bobby Williamson (Hibernian)

Jim Duffy (Dundee)

Gordon Dalziel (Ayr Utd)

Alex McLeish (Hibernian)

Bobby Williamson (Kilmarnock)

One swallow doesn't make the sun shine on a dog's erse and all that stuff, and of course the lottery of the cup can be exactly that.  But we have had supposedly good football managers (!) who have successively failed, with more than adequate resources when compared to the other so-called big non-Glasgow clubs, to get us to a final.  Point being - does it matter who the manager is?  Have our managers perhaps been too lazy as to motivate their players enough against hungrier lesser teams?  I think it's a bit of a cop-out to say that our resources aren't good enough when you see the list of teams that have actually made it ahead of us.

Couple of Qs:

How many of those managers do we reckon had more resources than their contemporary Aberdeen manager at the time that they reached these cup finals?

How many of these managers would we as fans have accepted as being candidates for the position of manager of Aberdeen FC at any point over the past 12 years (including at this precise moment in time)?

My own personal thought is that it is now time for us to stop going for the bigger name so-called established managers and take a chance on younger talent.  We obviously got burned by the Steve Paterson experiment but we have to accept the mitigating factors in that instance and not allow that to cloud our judgement in future.

a few of us were saying yesterday that it's not about the management so much as the (lack of) coaching and training facilities.

We need people involved who can get the players fitter than the other teams and get the hang of the basic skills that are so glaringly lacking. There's no point in changing manager if the next guy hasn't got the budget for a coaching staff either.

Instead of the hundreds of thousands we've been paying out in compo, we should be putting that money into giving the club a structure that's fit for purpose (as well as players).

Where's the bloody passion and steel and desire for the jersey eh??The players should be sweating blood to play for Dons when they pull on that famous red jersey!! And where's the leadership and motivation to make them do exactly that??Nowhere to be seen!!

Wheres the up and at them in your face stuff like Leigh Griffiths and Co had yesterday eh??It can be done too as other teams do it time and time again.

Brown has steadied the ship but it's so negative it's unreal and it's boring uninspiring football.Where's the entertainment value at Pittodrie these days like others have said??There isn't any and Aberdeen FC were notorious for playing beautiful passing imaginative and creative football in the past. We had a brand and style attached to us that is sadly dying or has already died!!

Plus,Brown is too nice a guy,same predictable stuff he comes out with time and time again like a broken record,never condemning players or officials for any wrong doing.If I was him I would've had all that players out on the sands of Aberdeen beach today (all day!!)getting a right "beasting" for their efforts yesterday and then they may start to begin to realise about what playing for this great club was all about.I mean,he's always telling us what a great club he thinks it is so lets get tough and get some real discipline back to the club.If players don't like it then they know where the door is then!!!

Nae being "up for it" in a semi-final at Hampden Park against a well beatable Hibernian side is inexcusable I'm afraid!!

What a chance and we blow it completely yet again.

And what is Stewart Milne saying about all of this today???After all he is a passionate AFC fan just like the rest of us eh??

I can't really see how Aberdeen are going to improve next season. I can't imagine Brown taking us forward but nor can I see any other manager taking over in the summer who will take us forward.

The depressing thing is it seems unlikely we will get such a good draw in the cup next season so it feels like our best chance of actually achieving something is gone.

Next season I can't see anything other than a couple of average at best cup runs and bottom six football. Unsure if getting rid of Brown will really solve that problem though.

Worth pointing out that when asked about succession planning at the Edinburgh Roadshow a few weeks ago Willie Millers response was to laugh and say Football clubs didn't do that.

Really?!? Why the hell not? Surely it makes sense, especially in our case.

Worth pointing out that when asked about succession planning at the Edinburgh Roadshow a few weeks ago Willie Millers response was to laugh and say Football clubs didn't do that.

So was McCoist taking over at Rangers a figment of my imagination?  :hammer:

Our club is rotten from the bottom to the very fucking top.