Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Magennis

It's all well and good being willing to do a job in whatever position the boss asks you to play, but if josh had any ambition he'd be talking himself up as being the man to end our goal drought, not as having vague potential to be a decent full back one day.

A lot of players are journeymen within the sport - satisfied doing a mediocre job at a club short term before moving on for more of the same, but Josh has become a journeyman within the same bloody club!

He's not skillful but he does cause headaches for the players he's in amongst. That's why he's better up front where at least the players he's in amongst are the opposition.

In footballing terms I agree with all of this.

It would be wonderful if our entire first-team was made up of SPL-level footballers, but certainly in my lifetime there has always been at least one fall-guy in the camp, and now with Mackie gone, Magennis has picked up the mantle. Mackie, Byrne, Bus, McQuilken, Dow, Ingolfsson, Winnie, the list is endless.

There is however the possibility of a bigger issue with Magennis.  For his supposed lack of ability to cut it at the top level (which I don't disagree with), his attitude to the game and his desire to work hard is top class.  He appears to have a very likeable personality too and I think above and beyond the footballing issues, clubs need to have the odd Magennis in their ranks.  I'm sure many of us who've played football in an organised set-up at any level will have played with a Magennis type - a guy who'll never command a regular spot every week but whose attitude and team-player mentality is infectious on the rest of the players.  I know it's a cliche, but I'll bet that Monday to Friday, he's good to have about the place.  It's good for team morale.  His team-mates will recognise his shortcomings on the pitch I'm sure, but they'll certainly respect him.  Maybe some of us fans ought to show him a bit more as well.  He could be our next cult hero....

Maggennis is a poor excuse of a footballer and he should be punted. He is 22 and he has already had 3 different positions! Goal-keeper, full-back and striker, all of which he has been mediocre at. Every single time I have seen him at full-back, he has been the obvious weak link and any goal that was going to come, was going to come from the right hand side. This all points to me, that the boy is just not a footballer. Striker, he's not been much better. Running about like a headless chicken most of the time, possibly causing the odd bit of panic but then it all fails when he chooses the wrong option or fucks it up. Not only that, it is almost guranteed that you can find him in Tiger every single Saturday night, win, lose or draw. Fair enough players gan oot and getting pished, I don't mind that so much but if it's every single weekend then that points to me that he is happy with his current standard of play. Which is, quite frankly, dung.

There is however the possibility of a bigger issue with Magennis.  For his supposed lack of ability to cut it at the top level (which I don't disagree with), his attitude to the game and his desire to work hard is top class.  He appears to have a very likeable personality too and I think above and beyond the footballing issues, clubs need to have the odd Magennis in their ranks.  I'm sure many of us who've played football in an organised set-up at any level will have played with a Magennis type - a guy who'll never command a regular spot every week but whose attitude and team-player mentality is infectious on the rest of the players.  I know it's a cliche, but I'll bet that Monday to Friday, he's good to have about the place.  It's good for team morale.  His team-mates will recognise his shortcomings on the pitch I'm sure, but they'll certainly respect him.  Maybe some of us fans ought to show him a bit more as well.  He could be our next cult hero....

Are you Jimmy Calderwood in disguise? Or Mark McGhee? Lets just face facts here, Magennis is just not good enough. Leave out all this stuff about being good to have about the place, good attitude, a team player, infectious mentality etc etc. It's all creating a smoke screen for the bare facts and that is that Josh Magennis, sadly, is pish.

there's zero justification for vernon getting a game for the forseeable future. magennis did ok at rb today and got in about it for the equaliser, so i'd be starting him up front on wed and if a sub is needed megginson or smith off the bench.

we should have converted the pressure into a 2-0 lead today but every time the ball went forward it broke down with vernon, or because he was too slow to get on to it. enough is enough.

there's zero justification for vernon getting a game for the forseeable future. magennis did ok at rb today and got in about it for the equaliser, so i'd be starting him up front on wed and if a sub is needed megginson or smith off the bench.

we should have converted the pressure into a 2-0 lead today but every time the ball went forward it broke down with vernon, or because he was too slow to get on to it. enough is enough.

If we are to stick with one up front and look to draw every game then your right Vernon is not the answer. I doubt any striker we have at the club is for that formation. Vernon does not have the mobility to win the punt from Langfield lay it of to one of our wide players then run the length of the field to get on to the aimless punt into the box they deliver.