Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Magennis

Two words: OH FUCK ::)

‘Willie Miller can help me make it big with Aberdeen FC’

Legend aiding ‘defender’ Josh Magennis

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

JOSH Magennis has revealed he has turned to Aberdeen FC great Willie Miller for help as he fights to stay at Pittodrie.

The 21-year-old has been capped for Northern Ireland playing as a goalkeeper and a striker and the majority of his 50 appearances for Aberdeen FC over the last two years have been as a forward.

So it will have surprised many of the 183 fans to see Magennis turning out at centre-back as they saw off Peterhead 2-0 in a friendly at Balmoor.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as RB next season if they've been trying it this season...more short sightedness from AFC.

Sone was asking him on twitter if the new cafu was here, so i asked Josh  if that meant he's looking to be the RB next season. His response was that he was waiting to see if the contract got sorted.

So I guess if we also keep mcArdle it's unclear whether an actual RB will be coming in at all. Surely though, we'll sign a genuine RB and have the two NI lads as utility subs.

Sone was asking him on twitter if the new cafu was here, so i asked Josh  if that meant he's looking to be the RB next season. His response was that he was waiting to see if the contract got sorted.

So I guess if we also keep mcArdle it's unclear whether an actual RB will be coming in at all. Surely though, we'll sign a genuine RB and have the two NI lads as utility subs.

Sadly, I think we all know the answer to this one, summed up by tlg :(

AFC always seem to take the easy option...what a way to encourage the fans to the club.

I don't think he EVER played as a striker for us, not that I can remember. He did for a while when loaned out at (then Highland League) Peterhead, but I believe he spent most of his time there in defence inna.

First appearance for us was as a sub in Zoltan Varga's last game in 72-73 season. Probably only mysel and Al will remember that!  ;)

I don't think he EVER played as a striker for us, not that I can remember. He did for a while when loaned out at (then Highland League) Peterhead, but I believe he spent most of his time there in defence inna.

First appearance for us was as a sub in Zoltan Varga's last game in 72-73 season. Probably only mysel and Al will remember that!  ;)

So was Varga actually worth the hype MBT?  Never actually spoken to anyone who saw him play.  I know he replaced Cruijff when he left Ajax for barca so he must have had something about him

So was Varga actually worth the hype MBT?  Never actually spoken to anyone who saw him play.  I know he replaced Cruijff when he left Ajax for barca so he must have had something about him

My old man has always told me he (Varga) was just too good for Aberdeen, was playing balls into spaces that the other players didn't even know were there, let alone get into them!

My old man has always told me he (Varga) was just too good for Aberdeen, was playing balls into spaces that the other players didn't even know were there, let alone get into them!

Sounds like a mis-placed pass to me. We've got a team full of players who can do that.

Never saw him in the flesh myself, but from what I was told at the time, he really was that good.

In the opinion of a lot of older Dons fans he would easily have beaten Snelders to our "Best Ever Import" in 442 mag!

Also as an aside, re that 442 article, I noticed D'Jaffo was worst foreigner for at least one other club, Bury I think!

• 4 months later...

Slow news day...

Aberdeen FC’s Magennis ‘can learn from Ashley Cole’

Chelsea and England defender an inspiration for Josh

By Sean Wallace

Published: 21/09/2012

DEFENDER Josh Magennis today revealed he is studying Chelsea star Ashley Cole in a bid to become the first choice Aberdeen FC right-back.

The Northern Ireland cap has been poring over footage of the England international defender in action.

Aberdeen FC’s Magennis said: “Even though Cole is a left-back he is the best in the country in the full-back role, so I can learn a lot from watching him.”

It's all well and good being willing to do a job in whatever position the boss asks you to play, but if josh had any ambition he'd be talking himself up as being the man to end our goal drought, not as having vague potential to be a decent full back one day.

A lot of players are journeymen within the sport - satisfied doing a mediocre job at a club short term before moving on for more of the same, but Josh has become a journeyman within the same bloody club!

He's not skillful but he does cause headaches for the players he's in amongst. That's why he's better up front where at least the players he's in amongst are the opposition.