Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

BREWSTER GOES ON MONDAY

brewster has signed a two-year deal with caley.

thoughts..? replacement..?

Difficult to replace.  Another younger player of the 'Brewster' mould is what most teams want and comes at a price.  I'd rather see JC give Mackie and Lovell a good run in the team together and use Maguire and Miller as back up, with clark, smith and DeVisscher getting to the by-line and crossing balls in - something that clark and smith seem to opt out of doing. 

I'd also rather see money spent on a new keeper and get Clangers punted.

IMO Mackie and Lovell are far too similar, and with our defenders' penchant for the "long pass" (hoof) up to the front men, they'll always look terrible together. Smith never gets to the byline and puts a cross in because he's completely right footed and is always played on the left. I'm not certain, but i think JDV's also a right winger, so i'd like to see us get a proper left footer in to play wide left. I also think that Miller is underrated, and was finding some form until brewster came along. Goals aren't everything in a striker, and his link up play was providing us with something that we hadn't had in a long time.

Mackie & Lovell are both fair finishers. Miller is the tall  "win the aerial battles & keepy-uppy set-up man.  Brewster leaving is putting us without Grit up front.  A Robby Savage type is what we need.  But I agree it will come at a heavy price.

Anyone know who's left in the transfer market?

Guest Elgin Red

I'm sure I just read "Mackie is a Fair finisher" ..... You obviously don't go to the games my good man. If he gets a goal his confidence may rise but when o when is he going to get more consistent with his first touch and putting the ball in the net  ??????? His miss yesterday probably cost us the game cos Hibs heads would have gone down completely.

Mackie's never been a natural goalscorer. A natural goalscorer at least hits the target every time (and it's up to the opposition keeper from there on in). Mackie hits the target with probably one out of every four shots. Nae good enough for a striker. I'd accept this from a defender or perhaps even a midfielder. But NOT a striker whose only job is to hit the target.

Mackie's problem is he raises his game once every two or three years, and the manager at that point regains their faith in him. Then he slumps back into obscurity for a while. My strongest memory of Mackie was a game against Livi years ago. Thornley and Winters completely ripped a hole in the Livi defence and provided Mackie with the space to shoot.

Thornley could've actually taken the shot himself, but Livi's keeper (I believe it might've been either Nick Culkin or Javier Broto) was in Thornley's way so Benny The Ball opted to pass the ball to the unmarked Mackie who was sitting five yards out from goal with no keeper between him and the net. Mackie SOMEHOW managed to hit the side netting instead. ANYONE who calls themselves a striker should've nailed that strike.

Mackie's been given far far far too many opportunities. Thing is, do we keep him and let him have his purple patch every three seasons ... or do we move him on and live in fear of him coming back to haunt us BIG TIME??!!!

Mackie's never been a natural goalscorer. A natural goalscorer at least hits the target every time (and it's up to the opposition keeper from there on in). Mackie hits the target with probably one out of every four shots. Nae good enough for a striker. I'd accept this from a defender or perhaps even a midfielder. But NOT a striker whose only job is to hit the target.

Mackie's problem is he raises his game once every two or three years, and the manager at that point regains their faith in him. Then he slumps back into obscurity for a while. My strongest memory of Mackie was a game against Livi years ago. Thornley and Winters completely ripped a hole in the Livi defence and provided Mackie with the space to shoot.

Thornley could've actually taken the shot himself, but Livi's keeper (I believe it might've been either Nick Culkin or Javier Broto) was in Thornley's way so Benny The Ball opted to pass the ball to the unmarked Mackie who was sitting five yards out from goal with no keeper between him and the net. Mackie SOMEHOW managed to hit the side netting instead. ANYONE who calls themselves a striker should've nailed that strike.

Mackie's been given far far far too many opportunities. Thing is, do we keep him and let him have his purple patch every three seasons ... or do we move him on and live in fear of him coming back to haunt us BIG TIME??!!!

couldnt agree more.

but prepare for the "mackie is or topscorer brigade" to give you pelters

couldnt agree more.

but prepare for the "mackie is or topscorer brigade" to give you pelters

Balls to them. I daresay if any of us got into decent positions we could score 13 goals in a season against the Motherwells, St Mirrens and Dunfermlines of this world. Let Lovell play up front and play to his strengths, and he'd easily surpass that.