Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Rearranged Fixtures

How can you class 8 football league games a season on the BBC as 'broadcast as if its the domestic league'?

since ITV got the FA cup you can only watch it in scotland either online or via sky

If you are going to use 'match of the day' and 'the football league show' as and example then I refer you to 8 years back when BBC scotland had the rights and we actually had coverage with live games and highlights at a decent time every sunday. Then along came setanta and the rest is history.

BBC & STV has the rights to fuck all coverage because the SFA and SPL took the money from pay per view.

Murdoch and Co are evil but they give the masses what they want apparently. And since the public continue to pay through the nose for 100s of channels of which i estimate 75% is repeats they hold all the cash, the SPL will continue to be their bitches.

Oh the other thing which I keep having to explan to my mum. The BBC is for the whole of the UK and since 81% of the population live in england they will favour english related coverage be it drama or sport.

Should scotland ever gain full independance and the english league gets that same coverage then questions will need to be asked

Sorry i was unaware people in Scotland only watched the BBC how silly of me

I will give you I direct question since bobbybiscut cant answer it

NAME ANOTHER COUNTRY IN EUROPE THAT HAS ANOTHER COUNTRY,S DOMESTIC LEAGUE SHOWN ABOUT 4 TIMES THAT OF ITS OWN DOMESTIC LEAGUE ON THE TV

APART FROM WITHIN THE UK

NAME ANOTHER COUNTRY IN EUROPE THAT HAS ANOTHER COUNTRY,S DOMESTIC LEAGUE SHOWN ABOUT 4 TIMES THAT OF ITS OWN DOMESTIC LEAGUE ON THE TV

APART FROM WITHIN THE UK

I watched the english premiership in the USA, France and New Zealand. The coverage there would almost make you think it was their domestic league. Setanta also showed bundesliga, dutch and french football. I believe sky has decent coverage of the spanish league too but that is all PAY PER VIEW SATELLITE coverage available all around the world. New Zealands terrestrial tv barely showed any sport when i was out there. infact there it was quite a big story when they managed to get coverage of some of the 2006 world cup. Dont recall seeing Lyon etc on the french equivalent of the BBC. our domestic media much like most of the worlds panders our own country. The way you are talking you would think skysports was on freeview

I am not going to argue all day and night about this

In my opinion blanket coverage of English football is doing nothing for the good of our own league

Football used to control tv now its the other way round

you guys think its a good thing I think its not so i will end it there

But don't be surprised if the time comes when we don't get a TV deal as the digital companies decide to concentrate on the English premier league instead

WHERE WILL WE BE THEN

APART FROM WITHIN THE UK

I've already answered that. Spain show pretty much every EPL game. But again, you'll probably choose to ignore this bit as it doesn't suit your agenda.

In my opinion blanket coverage of English football is doing nothing for the good of our own league

But don't be surprised if the time comes when we don't get a TV deal as the digital companies decide to concentrate on the English premier league instead

WHERE WILL WE BE THEN

Scotland will never be without a TV deal as long as the OF are in the league. They're the only selling points as much as it pains me to say it.

And I'd also argue Sky concentrate on the EPL already, it just so happens they also have games from Scotland and Spain to fill their schedules, but their efforts are undoubtedly on the EPL. However, why would they get rid of other football when they do need to fill their schedules?  TELL ME CALEDONIA TELL ME

I've already answered that. Spain show pretty much every EPL game. But again, you'll probably choose to ignore this bit as it doesn't suit your agenda.

There is a vast difference between Spain showing English games as its not blanket over their own domestic league

Also the Spanish league is so strong unlike the Scottish one youngsters will still grow up supporting the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid etc

But in Scotland i can see lots of kids walking around with Liverpool and man utd scarves

Yes this happened before but the difference now is it not their so called second team its there only team.

Off the top of my head, i'd say that only Germany and England will have more of their own league than a foreign league on their TV. And even then, most weekends Sky will show as many English games as Spanish ones.

Also, waiting for any proof that this has ever happened ::)

According to some on here no affect at all

There is a vast difference between Spain showing English games as its not blanket over their own domestic league

Also the Spanish league is so strong unlike the Scottish one youngsters will still grow up supporting the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid etc

But in Scotland i can see lots of kids walking around with Liverpool and man utd scarves

Yes this happened before but the difference now is it not their so called second team its there only team.

I'll assume you've never been to Spain then? They have 2 live matches on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday and normally one on a Monday night too.

Every single EPL game is shown on Spanish TV.

Spanish Football isn't really that strong, only 2 teams can win it (bit like here really). There are pleanty of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc fans in Spain.

But you don't like using facts...

I'll assume you've never been to Spain then? They have 2 live matches on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday and normally one on a Monday night too.

Every single EPL game is shown on Spanish TV.

Spanish Football isn't really that strong, only 2 teams can win it (bit like here really). There are pleanty of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc fans in Spain.

But you don't like using facts...

Strong leagues like England and Germany are able to cope with that

As for Spain for i consider it a very strong league although it only has 2 teams going for the league some of the others are very strong like Atletico Madrid and Valencia

To say Spain is not a strong league because only 2 teams might win is wrong because if you look at England how many teams can win it year after year

Says it all does it

Sorry, is that a question?

So what happens when they are able to fill their schedules without Scottish football

Do you really think they're actively looking for a way not to show Scottish football? If they didn't want to show it they certainly wouldn't be paying for it. 

None of what you're saying is dealing with the issue of pricing. There are no English games shown on TV on a Saturday at 3pm, so how you can say this is the reason people are stayin away is beyond me.  Maybe kids wouldn't be wearing shirts of Man United and Liverpool if football in this country was made affordable for their parents to actually take them to matches on a regular basis.

If you don't see that as the biggest and saddest issue in Scottish Football then so be it. But i guarantee less English football on TV does not make an entrance fee of over £20 per adult and over a tenner per kid anymore affordable for a man and his son.

WHERE WILL WE BE THEN

You have a remarkable ability to get things really wrong don't you.

1. You cannot compare the UK situation to any other country as our national structures are completely different. Whether you agree with the union of our government and many of the structures that support that, including most of the television broadcasting, or not it is fact that we are heavily linked to England and are dominated by a population that is 9 times ours. Supporting your argument by trying to draw comparisons to other countries TV content is just ridiculous.

2. Who exactly do you think is making the decisions about TV content ? Do you think the executives who are trying to secure revenue and profit for their channels are ever likely to sit in their board rooms and discuss how they might protect Scottish football ? We live in a market economy where supply follows demand, businessmen select the best products to enrich their offer not to look after a dying product. Ultimately this means that the best product in terms of football will make up the majority of the viewing in most countries. At present one of those products is the EPL.

If you really believe that there is either the desire or the ability to influence what football TV chooses to show or, as result, who kids choose to support then you are incredibly naive or just plain stupid.

For what it's worth, in the dim and distant past, i.e. a long time ago, there used to be a Saturday night Scottish football highlights programme on TV at the same time that the English MOTD was being shown down south. I don't know when that stopped, but I guess that the SKY and Setanta deals had something to do with it.

All there seems to be now is the low-key Sportscene on a Monday night.

No getting away from the fact that the EPL is a hugely attractive commercial product. If clubs want to foster local support then they need to go some way towards glamorising themselves so that they appeal to the younger fans at an early age, as well as not pricing themselves out of the market.

At West Brom yesterday they were advertising a family ticket for £40. not sure how that compares with SPL prices, but that's the sort of thing that can get people to live games. TV will then be secondary

From memory the saturday night sportscene stopped at the same time as the sunday night scotsport which would be around the time the infamous 605pm sunday kick off sky deal came about.

The satuday night sportscene consisted of ONE scottish premier game and TWO english premiership games.

All other games were shown on sunday night scotsport. Only exceptions were the tennents scottish cup sportscene programs which showed all the goals from the cup games (well except the aberdeen stranraer game from 1994 because they decided all the cameras had to be at Allan park to cover dunfermline humping cove) and occasionally 1 fa cup match.

And when the league cup final was on BBC, scotsport was cancelled so I never got to see duncan shearers overhead kick against the arabs until scotsport changed their titles a few years later.

Match of the days current coverage came about when the BBC clawed back the highlights from ITVs grasp but lost the spl rights to setanta. Setanta decided to sell the highlights to scotsport but ensured the highlights could only be shown on monday nights after 10pm so as not to compete with thier own highlighs package. ESPN now do the same thing with the BBC

There is no simple solution to getting kids to support the local team instead of the likes of the old firm. I cant be the only one who has heard kids say they support rangers, celtic, man united, chelsea, arsenal etc etc because they are 'the best'. I heard that when i was in primary school  when you could only see your team play live on TV if they were in europe or in the cup final and Im still hearing it today when you can almost pay to have the game kick off when it suits you.

And family tickets?

Football is not a family day out. Despite all their efforts it never will be unless they make it like the USA where you cant swear, you cant shout, the game is constantly stopped for acrobats, mini games, singers, mascots, free t shirts, go and get another burger, donut etc all in warm comfortable stadiums with no atmosphere. And the cost for me and my pensioner dad to go see the Colorado avalanche was £50 each for a seat behind the goal at the back of the gods with a huge mark up on all the food and merchandse available. Had we taken a seat in the lower tier we would have paid min £175 a ticket with the best seats costing in excess of £500

PS merkland stand 2 adults and 2 kids £40

Merkland stand -2 adult and 2 kids £299 season ticket (less than £16 a match)

your own club already does this but you didnt seem to know that?

None of what you're saying is dealing with the issue of pricing. There are no English games shown on TV on a Saturday at 3pm, so how you can say this is the reason people are stayin away is beyond me.

Pricing is also one of the biggest issues,  but just because there are no games on at 3pm on Saturday does not mean that this is not the reason why kids stay away from Scottish games.

You need to look further back to see that if kids are watching blanket English football on TV ( any time not just 3pm on sat) they might get used to supporting that teams thus deserting Scottish football.

Pricing is also one of the biggest issues,  but just because there are no games on at 3pm on Saturday does not mean that this is not the reason why kids stay away from Scottish games.

You need to look further back to see that if kids are watching blanket English football on TV ( any time not just 3pm on sat) they might get used to supporting that teams thus deserting Scottish football.

LOL. You are a massive spastic.

For what it's worth, in the dim and distant past, i.e. a long time ago, there used to be a Saturday night Scottish football highlights programme on TV at the same time that the English MOTD was being shown down south. I don't know when that stopped, but I guess that the SKY and Setanta deals had something to do with it.

All there seems to be now is the low-key Sportscene on a Monday night.

No getting away from the fact that the EPL is a hugely attractive commercial product. If clubs want to foster local support then they need to go some way towards glamorising themselves so that they appeal to the younger fans at an early age, as well as not pricing themselves out of the market.

At West Brom yesterday they were advertising a family ticket for £40. not sure how that compares with SPL prices, but that's the sort of thing that can get people to live games. TV will then be secondary

I used to like Sportscene on a Saturday night because if you were out you could watch it in the pub with your friends

Or if you were at an away game and stopped on the way home

Even if you were not out or at the game it was still better on a Saturday with scotsport on a sunday afternoon

Monday nights just dont do it for me