Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

BBC: Jamie Langfield keeps faith in Aberdeen

mizer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9188345.stm

_49937513_4200141.jpg

By Liam McLeod

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield insists, if everyone starts pulling together, better times lie ahead for the beleaguered club.

The Dons are in the doldrums with just one win in 11 league matches.

It is relegation form, with a massive home game against fellow strugglers St Johnstone looming on Saturday.

"If we, the manager and (assistant) Scott Leitch give a bit more and we get more help from upstairs we'll be fine," he told BBC Scotland.

Langfield was speaking after the 2-0 defeat to Rangers which on the face of it, was an improvement on the previous visit to Glasgow that resulted in a record 9-0 reverse at Celtic Park.

The Dons clearly arrived at Ibrox in the mood for damage limitation but not much else, with Rangers' number one Allan McGregor's white outfit not requiring a wash.

And Langfield admits it had been a tough week for the Pittodrie players and staff, with continued speculation surrounding the future of manager Mark McGhee.

"I think we saw a much better performance from the boys against Rangers especially the second half," he told BBC Scotland.

"In the last week, as far as we as players were concerned, we went in every day and trained until we were told otherwise.

"You just have to get on with it and it's up to other people how they want to speculate what's going on in our minds."

But Langfield - who pulled off a series of impressive saves at Ibrox - believes the performance in Govan will bode well for upcoming games, which appear crucial to their season turning for the better.

And it will have to turn soon if they are to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle.

"That's the bottom line now, we've got a nice wee run of games coming up now," he added.

"We've got these away games against Celtic and Rangers out of the way now so we now all need to stand up and be counted and get the three points, especially against the teams that are round about us.

"I'm sure when we get that one result, you'll see the confidence come right back through the team."

Those are optimistic words from the Dons goalie, who has had to pick the ball out of his net 13 times in his last three games.

But unlike team-mate Derek Young last week, Langfield is unwilling to pin the blame for the club's ills solely on the players backs.

"I wouldn't go as far as to say that (it's the players fault)," he said. "It's collectively, as a whole.

"I don't even think the chairman would come out and say it's all his fault.

"It's everybody at Aberdeen Football Club and we need to pull together. Obviously, the players have to give more.

"I look at the boys at Ibrox and against Inverness on Tuesday and I definitely think we're going to fight for the cause and make it so hard for teams to beat us."

"If we, the manager and (assistant) Scott Leitch give a bit more and we get more help from upstairs we'll be fine," he told BBC

A concession that people haven't been giving their all. Fantastic.

"I look at the boys at Ibrox and against Inverness on Tuesday and I definitely think we're going to fight for the cause and make it so hard for teams to beat us."

Didn't look that hard for teams to beat us in those two games Jamie.