Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee on brink of sack?

Lets not talk rubbish!

Who were our natural wing backs under calderwood Mulgrew? Possible the worst defender we have had and striker / midfielder ricky forster?

We have plenty cover in midfield we have 7 midfielders plus Mackie and Maguire

You wouldnt? Were you at the game? He was playing right back pre-season and the twice i seen him for the reserves he had been playing right back there too! He had a pretty solid game at right back on Saturday.

The point was we had full backs, Mcghee has got rid of them without replacing them adding to the already unbalanced nature of our squad.  Id say we lack adequate cover in the centre of midfield with only young and jack available to cover now if hartley or folly gets injured.  Its blindingly obvious that the squad in unbalanced.

And While i wasnt at the game on saturday I've seen him play before, and added to that I was speaking to simmie after the raith game in the gothenburg lounge who said he was first and foremost a central midfielder although granted he did mention that he could cover at the back if required.  I'd very much doubt it will do the lads development much good if he's played out of position because by all accounts theres big things expected from him, was told he was rated higher than fyvie before a bad run of injuries over the last 18 months or so.

The point was we had full backs, Mcghee has got rid of them without replacing them adding to the already unbalanced nature of our squad.  Id say we lack adequate cover in the centre of midfield with only young and jack available to cover now if hartley or folly gets injured.  Its blindingly obvious that the squad in unbalanced.

Dont forget about getting the special dispensation we received to bring in a wing back. I don't mind the lad Vujadinovic, but he's nae a LB no mater how much anyone says it - so why bring him in??

Dont forget about getting the special dispensation we received to bring in a wing back. I don't mind the lad Vujadinovic, but he's nae a LB no mater how much anyone says it - so why bring him in??

Only in AFCHATland is Vujadinovic a left back, according to the man himself he's a centre back!

I think its too early yet to be speaking about sacking McGhee.  I do think he doesnt have much time to turn it around though and injuries aint helping him.  We have a small but pretty decent squad and it would always cripple us if we got any injuries. 

He has done some bemusing things as manager sometimes but then so has most managers in their time (including Mourinho and Fergie!)

Fullbacks are required immediately, yes, but quite a few of the goals we are losing are individual mistakes, especially the goalkeepers . .  unfortunately!

To be honest Aluko never really being fit, Hartley missing, Pawlett being out, Fyvie getting crocked etc, etc!!!  I feel for McGhee!  It doesnt help everybody getting on his back!, especially the media as he says.  Dont think the Jimmys or the Managers above could have done much better with that squad.  And players like Magennis, Folly, Macardle, Velicka, Hartley have been trying to gel into the team.  Although they really should be their now.  We beat Hibs it could start something.  Mind you I said that when we beat Hamilton  ::)

Special dispensation? have i missed something?

Vujadinovic looks like he could be a cracking defender. Although never in a million years as left back, definitely in the centre.

Special dispensation? have i missed something?

Vujadinovic looks like he could be a cracking defender. Although never in a million years as left back, definitely in the centre.

Was that not why they had the meeting at hampden with the SFA bods?

I remember having the impression our appeal was based on special dispensation for us not having homegrown players available for that position. The only position I remember him being described as was 'versatile' left back. We sure as shit had centre backs anyway.

Aberdeen will appeal to the SFA to allow left-back to join club.

ABERDEEN have had their application for a work permit for Serbian full-back Nikola Vujadinovic rejected. The club plans to appeal, where they will need to prove that his arrival won’t be detrimental to home-grown players in his position.

Dons boss Mark McGhee said: “We will supply the evidence we believe will be sufficient. "Vujadinovic has terrific pedigree, you do not get a five-year contract at a Serie A club unless you have ability.

“It is a position we have struggled to fill because we wanted Grant Basey but were unable to find the funds.

"We have now been able to do so thanks to the move involving Andrius Velicka and Richard Foster.”

The appeal will be heard by the SFA on Monday.

Aberdeen’s lengthy search for Charlie Mulgrew’s successor as left back ended yesterday when the club was granted a work permit for Montenegran defender Nikola Vujadinovic.

Dons manager Mark McGhee and director of football Willie Miller successfully argued their case on behalf of the player, who was also in attendance at Hampden.

McGhee is thrilled to have finally got his man and said: “I’m delighted as the lad knew he was running the risk of being frozen out of football until the transfer window reopened in January. He signed for the club knowing the risk he was taking. I’m happy it has worked out for the player and the clubs involved.

“His pedigree is excellent and when you look at the fee (£800,000) his club Udinese has paid for him already, I am convinced we have signed a quality individual.

“We couldn’t afford to pass the opportunity by. I am convinced he is good enough to play in the SPL and the fact the player came to Hampden with us shows how much he wanted this to happen.

“Even though he hasn’t trained he is a naturally fit player and we will assess him this week. I expect he will be available for Saturday’s game at Dundee United.”

The Dons signed the player on a season-long loan from Italian Serie A club Udinese until June 30, 2011, but the 24-year-old was denied a work permit as he does not meet criteria for employment in the UK. The Serbia-born Montenegro under-21 international has not played the required 75% of competitive full international matches for his country in the last two years.

Aberdeen made their appeal yesterday to the SFA appeals panel of football experts and McGhee insists he put forward as strong a case as possible for the player.

He said: “We felt we had a really strong case. We have spent the whole summer searching for a replacement for Charlie Mulgrew for the left-back position.

“We pursued Robbie Williams and Grant Basey but, unfortunately, we couldn’t afford either of them. We were lucky enough to come across Vujadinovic, who we feel is equally as good for the role as Basey and Williams were.

“Udinese have been very generous with the wage structure on offer as part of the loan deal and when we looked at the expense involved and the chance for both the player to develop and the quality he would bring, it was a no-brainer.

“We showed the panel an eight-minute DVD of the player in action and also put forward letters of support from his club and coaches who have worked with him.

“Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish also put forward his letter of testimony on behalf of the player, who he had on trial when he was manager of Rangers.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1905322?UserKey=#ixzz12pYscqWw

So in one fell sweep we've managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the hun/tim allience that is the appeals panel AND we've broken EU employment law. Nice!

Ach well! What's new? Describing most of our players for the best part of twenty years as footballers is probably the biggest breach of the trade description act, ever.

I would have said that after today's game we have a fair chance for the tie against Falkirk on Tuesday, but seeing their result today has me slightly worried . . . . .              But nevertheless - COYR

::) ::)::):AFC2:

Went to check Falkirk's score on the BBC website and it says Queen of the South 5 Falkirk 1. Guessing that must be a misprint and Falkirk won 5-1?

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1968667

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee is delighted their victory over Hibs moved him a step closer to finally silencing the critics he believes are intent on getting him the sack.

Aberdeen FC ended a run of six SPL matches without a victory by hammering Hibs 4-2 at Pittodrie, despite again having to cope with injuries to key players – on this occasion defenders Zander Diamond and Andrew Considine and midfielder Yoann Folly.

The high standard of his team’s performance meant Mark had good reason to be content.

But one look at the Gothenburg Great’s face confirmed he was still an angry man.

That’s because he feels as if he is now “at war” with some sections of the media.

ofcourseyour128652334783454331.jpg