Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Josh Magennis - Striker

Physical presence that can fill the void left by Lee Miller

By Alex Martin

Published: 07/07/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee unveiled his second international signing of the summer and challenged Josh Magennis to fill the void left by Lee Miller.

Northern Ireland’s Magennis, a former Cardiff City goalkeeper turned goal poacher, has been lured north on a two-year contract and McGhee believes his new signing is capable of great things.

The Dons manager said: “We thought he would still be at Cardiff and we might be able to get him on loan.

“He will be the most physical of our attackers so he could become the player who replaces Lee Miller, but he is not in any shape or form the same. He has different qualities to Lee and he needs to work on the things Lee was really good at. But he is a young lad with potential, not the finished article, and he has got it to do.

“But I think the exciting prospect is no one knows what the upside could be. He has the physique and reminds me of Colin Kazim-Richards, who I had when I was in charge at Brighton, and he went on to play Champions League and international football for Turkey.

“He is confident, but also a really nice lad and he is a genuine and enthusiastic. I hope and think he has come here to start games for us. It will be decided by who else we bring in. I would like to play a 4-3-3 formation so there are options.”

A two-year contract is unusual as the chill economics of Scottish football force clubs to cut their costs, but McGhee said: “This boy is going to be a player. Whether it is going to be at our level or beyond or whether he will drop down the leagues is something we have to find out. I speak to the Cardiff manager Dave Jones regularly and he mentioned him several times.

“We had him scouted and liked what we saw. I spoke to Paul Quinn who I had at Motherwell about him and is now at Cardiff and I think we have done well to get him.

“We have signed two players in Josh and Rory McCardle and they are both internationals – but we need to give him time.”

FFS we've signed a player.

Just back off my hols lads, anything else been happening ?

p.s welcome aboard Josh

Got two youngsters on trial, one formerly of West Ham who is a midfielder and the other a goalkeeper formerly of Leeds United. 

The good thing so far for me is that the two signings and the trialists have been kept very hush-hush until they've actually arrived, all of them came out of the blue really which is a lot better than all the shite being dragged through the papers a la the Kyle situation this summer, Hughes last summer and the same every summer for the last XX years.

Got two youngsters on trial, one formerly of West Ham who is a midfielder and the other a goalkeeper formerly of Leeds United. 

The good thing so far for me is that the two signings and the trialists have been kept very hush-hush until they've actually arrived, all of them came out of the blue really which is a lot better than all the shite being dragged through the papers a la the Kyle situation this summer, Hughes last summer and the same every summer for the last XX years.

Cheers min, will get around to reading through threads, but had a fortnight without papers, internet, and only fitba has been world cup games Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN.

We did actually sign most of players we were linked with until last close season BB, in some cases I think the word eventually applies though!

aye, years apart in some cases!  I wasn't talking about just under JC, can remember the Michael Hart thing going on for fucking ages under Paterson. 

Cheers min, will get around to reading through threads, but had a fortnight without papers, internet, and only fitba has been world cup games Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN.

Aye, it's a hard life, eh mate?  ;)

aye, years apart in some cases!  I wasn't talking about just under JC, can remember the Michael Hart thing going on for fucking ages under Paterson. 

Aye, it's a hard life, eh mate?  ;)

Sure as fuck will be when I get back to work on Friday  >:(

Guest donindundonald

Is Josh Magennis an acceptable name for an Aberdeen player? Perhaps we should be trying to convince him to change his name to Jimmy Maitland ;).

Lighten up dude  :thumbsup:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/millers/Striker-snubs--Millers-to.6410463.jp

Interesting quote here:

"We thought we had everything sorted but then Aberdeen came in and offered him silly money," Moore told The Star. "He decided to go there but he would have been a wow signing for us at this level with his pace and strength.

So that's two teams from that league who have said they couldn't compete with our wages (big wow, i know) so does this say we actually do have decent money to spend or is it more that the League 2 sides are feeling the pinch?

Rotherham would be down the bottom half of L2 on average attendances (around 4000, I think and probably even less this last season with playing at the Don Valley). So T/O would be pretty low, and there certainly seems to be a touch of realism creeping into the division with clubs wary of HMRC. Still there are Chairmen about willing to gamble on jumping a few divisions before taking a hit with administration and points deductions. 

So since he is seen as a replacement for Lee Miller, please God tell me he is not on his wages!!

I am sure he will give his all but an ex-goalie turned striker a few years ago should not be earning the same wages as a Miller (or Kyle if he was coming at the time).  Unproven really and a bit of a gamble.  Good back up player. but a replacement, no, sorry!  Plus his injury might put him into the Jamie Smith category  :-\

What does ridiculous money actually mean?  Be interested to find out . .