Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

BBC: Dons boss Mark McGhee will not rush into new signings

Its a nae shit Sherlock for that headline  ::)

Mark McGhee is pleading for patience from Aberdeen supporters as he continues his summer recruitment drive.

The Dons boss has already signed Northern Ireland defender Rory McArdle under freedom of contract and plans to add more new faces.

But McGhee told the club website."We cannot afford expensive mistakes, so we have to be patient.

"Lots of players are waiting to see what their options are because they are working in a limited financial market."

Aberdeen appear to have missed out on striker Kevin Kyle, with the towering target man on the verge of a deal with Hearts.

Another forward recently linked with the Dons is Adebayo Akinfenwa, who has reached the end of his contract with Northampton Town.

But McGhee is warning fans that new arrivals may not arrive until nearer the start of next season.

We have just got to be patient and then start to pick off the ones that become available and the ones who realise we are an option

Mark McGhee

"If you are in an environment where you have limitless funds, and I am talking about at any level - if you are Chelsea, Manchester United or City for that matter - you can speed things along a little bit by paying over the odds," he explained.

"In the environment we are all working in, in Scotland, you have to be a bit more careful than that.

"We have to buy at the right price and buy the right players. There are a lot of things that have to fit before we can sign any players.

"There are a lot of players out there who we know we could get, there are some we can't afford, and plenty more waiting to see what their options are.

"Even within the Championship and League One in England, there is starting to be a little bit of a squeeze and players are finding it that little bit more difficult to achieve their expectations as far as contracts are concerned.

"We have just got to be patient and then start to pick off the ones that become available and the ones who realise we are an option."

McGhee also hopes the return of key players next season will help the Dons avoid a repeat of the 53-year-old's miserable first campaign in charge.

Andrew Considine was badly missed for the second half of last term, Peter Pawlett was another injury victim, while Chris Maguire has returned from an encouraging loan spell at Kilmarnock.

McGhee said: "It will be great having the three of them back, and hopefully getting full seasons from Sone Aluko and Zander Diamond.

"Sone and Zander's contribution was really just at the tail end of the season so it will be great having them back to full fitness."

The manager is also keeping his fingers crossed Davide Grassi and Stuart Nelson sign new contracts at Pittodrie.

He added: "I hope so. There is some work to be done on that and we will continue to discuss it with them but I am hopeful that by the beginning of July, when pre-season kicks off, they will be back and be ready for a good season."

The only way people will cough up for season tickets is if they see a buzz at the club because a bunch of new faces are appearing in the broom cupboard every few days.

Otherwise it'll just remind them of every other shite season before a ball is even kicked.

Absolutely.

Warning that new signings might not appear until closer to the start of the season will do nothing for season ticket sales.

No problem Mark, theres no rush to get new players in at all, just you take your time, infact forget about this transfer window, just bide your time till January. Thats when the bargains appear. Plan for season 11/12, that's when we'll be back on our feet.

7th place is there for the taking, lets make a real effort this year!

COYR!

Guest ally s

No problem Mark, theres no rush to get new players in at all, just you take your time, infact forget about this transfer window, just bide your time till January. Thats when the bargains appear. Plan for season 11/12, that's when we'll be back on our feet.

7th place is there for the taking, lets make a real effort this year!

COYR!

Nothing wrong with treading carefully and taking your time.  It's a massive season and he needs to get it absolutely spot on.

If having to wait until nearer the start of the season means bringing in a better quality of player then I'm happy with that.

Do you think signing a load of donkeys and parading them in the "broom cupboard every few days" is the way forward?

Nothing wrong with treading carefully and taking your time.  It's a massive season and he needs to get it absolutely spot on.

If having to wait until nearer the start of the season means bringing in a better quality of player then I'm happy with that.

Do you think signing a load of donkeys and parading them in the "broom cupboard every few days" is the way forward?

Absolutely not, but if he repeats the last two transfer windows where he's been utterly pathetic in the transfer market, where he's identified players and chased them until its dawned on him he can't, and never could afford them and then is left with absolutely no time to sign anyone whatsoever then I'll be utterly furious. He's had a whole season to have reasonable targets in place. He's already repeated part of last season by trying to sign Kevin Kyle (remember Stephen Hughes?).

The guy should be like a coiled spring, he should have his targets in place and he should be ready to move on them at the earliest possible moment. I don't want to see a team that's still getting to know each other for the first half of the season, if he continues to flap then it's going to have to be someone elses turn come January.

That's all very well but the better players will be offered better contracts by clubs in a better financial and footballing position than us. Clubs like ours will be left with what no-one else wants, which is OK as long as we can get them signed up and working with the rest of the squad earlier in the pre-season in order for the team to gel and get to know one another. If not we will have our usual slow start and heads will drop immediately due to last seasons abysmal form.

Guest ally s

The guy should be like a coiled spring, he should have his targets in place and he should be ready to move on them at the earliest possible moment. I don't want to see a team that's still getting to know each other for the first half of the season, if he continues to flap then it's going to have to be someone elses turn come January.

How do you know he's not? Unless you're privvy to what's going on behind the scenes at Pittodrie then you've no way of knowing what McGhee's up to or who he has or hasn't spoken to. Remember a lot of players are waiting until the very last minute and are in no hurry to sign deals this early.  McGhee, like most managers in the SPL, has his hands tied and it's very much a waiting game.  I don't like that situtation any more than the next fan but that's the reality.

Guest ally s

That's all very well but the better players will be offered better contracts by clubs in a better financial and footballing position than us. Clubs like ours will be left with what no-one else wants, which is OK as long as we can get them signed up and working with the rest of the squad earlier in the pre-season in order for the team to gel and get to know one another. If not we will have our usual slow start and heads will drop immediately due to last seasons abysmal form.

You think that's okay? Am I being thick or are you suggesting it's quite alright for McGhee to sign shitey players as along as he gets them in time for early pre-season?

How do you know he's not? Unless you're privvy to what's going on behind the scenes at Pittodrie then you've no way of knowing what McGhee's up to or who he has or hasn't spoken to. Remember a lot of players are waiting until the very last minute and are in no hurry to sign deals this early.  McGhee, like most managers in the SPL, has his hands tied and it's very much a waiting game.  I don't like that situtation any more than the next fan but that's the reality.

We can judge this in relation to how he's performed in previous transfer windows, and that performance has been shocking. I've put my faith in the guy as much as I can, I've renewed my season ticket and I'm waiting with baited breath to see what happens, but my expectation levels of a guy like McGhee are currently so low that I expect it to be another shambles, he's already making excuses for himself.

You think that's okay? Am I being thick or are you suggesting it's quite alright for McGhee to sign shitey players as along as he gets them in time for early pre-season?

Yes, I'd rather have shitey players in place from when the squad gets back than get even shitey'er players a couple of days before the start of the season. Are you suggesting the quality of players available will improve as the transfer window progresses towards its conclusion? A Striker to get excited about now would surely boost season ticket sales which in turn can only have a positive effect on the player budget.

You're right but that's just not going to be the case. We'll sign donkeys no matter how long we wait. I'd love to be wrong but I'm nae.

Guest ally s

There's every chance of picking up a player of decent quality towards the end of the window, and as you say there is also the risk of being left with utter dross.

I just don't like the idea of signing players for the sake of it. I'm hoping McGhee makes his way through his shortlist of players and doesn't cave in to the pressure and start signing randoms becuase some fans have no patience.

There's every chance of picking up a player of decent quality towards the end of the window, and as you say there is also the risk of being left with utter dross.

I just don't like the idea of signing players for the sake of it. I'm hoping McGhee makes his way through his shortlist of players and doesn't cave in to the pressure and start signing randoms becuase some fans have no patience.

I wish I agreed with you but I don't

We, as a club, have nothing to offer whatsoever. In terms of where we are realistically at in Scottish football, we are on a par with Killie, Hamilton or St Johnstone. While we may have a slightly higher wage budget (we did before, but I'm not sure we still will have) but our location is less attractive to the central belt sluts and the most significant thing is that those teams I mention don't have anything like the same pressure of expectation.

I'm not saying the fans shouldn't have high expectations or should quietly accept the shit performances but for the last couple years I've often stopped screaming abuse for long enough to realize that NO ONE would want a job playing for us in the current situation.

If you were a player who didn't support aberdeen, what on earth would make you choose aberdeen over ANY other team in the uk?

A Striker to get excited about now would surely boost season ticket sales which in turn can only have a positive effect on the player budget.

Not with our board it wouldn't.

Not disagreeing that a "big name" would help ST sales initally, especially given the season we've had and the scepticism of many towards the management. But then I'd sooner have an unknown yet promising striker with the right attitude that'd score 15 goals than a lazy has-been who'll flatter to deceive and won't muck in.

I imagine an announcement that Kerr, McDonald and Mulgrew have had any contract offers withdrawn will result in an immediate rise in renewals.

My issue is that he's had a whole season to identify whats required and who he wants realistically to fill those requirements. We've got one signing, good start, but we need more and we need them in place for the start of pre-season training, not at the end of the transfer window. McGhee's proven himself to be a flapper so far when it comes to his transfer dealings, that has to stop now. It's time for him to get his head down and start doing the job that he's neglected to do for a whole season so far.

People are kidding themselves if they think McGhee or any other manager that may come to Aberdeen is capable of selling season tickets on the back of a signing. We have no money whatsoever, its about improving the average squad player and hoping for the kids to move it up a level. There'll be no exciting signings but I am just hoping that come the season there is an improvement on last, and a top 4 one at that. Only folk that play football manager give a toss if these signings are in place for pre season training.

People are kidding themselves if they think McGhee or any other manager that may come to Aberdeen is capable of selling season tickets on the back of a signing. We have no money whatsoever, its about improving the average squad player and hoping for the kids to move it up a level. There'll be no exciting signings but I am just hoping that come the season there is an improvement on last, and a top 4 one at that. Only folk that play football manager give a toss if these signings are in place for pre season training.

A very stark and accurate assessment really. I will say, currently, we are not looking likely to improve with the players we have and as the days draw on (yes it is still early days) it is is looking less and less likely. I think the youth are our only hope, but again, we can't rely on them. As things stand, there is no way we will improve on last season.

Gotta disagree with most of that. I'm sure the signing of any half-decent SPL class player would make some people come out and buy season tickets in the belief that this season wasn't gonna be like all the rest.

And if you really think there's no benefit in a team gelling by playing together before the season starts you are quite frankly insane.

I agree with this if we're talking about exciting signings in the sense of Gilhaus, Arteta, Di Canio etc. The type of signing which will instantly see a huge boost in sales. But I disagree if we're talking about signings that will deliver even what you describe you want to see delivered - "improving the average squad player"

A bit like Dave_min says, for myself, a player who I see as ANY sort of improvement on what we had (or HAVE while those cunts kerr, casper and mulgrew are still refusing to fuck off) is what I would call an "exciting" signing. I do agree these wouldn't have a massive impact on ticket sales, but I do think they would have SOME effect. Even if they didn't turn out to improve sales, I think they would serve to halt the decline in sales. Even selling as many season and match day tickets in total as we did last season would be a major achievement.

Guest donindundonald

The bottom line is that we were told around eight new faces were coming in and we've had one announcement - not good enough, even at this "early stage".

12ish weeks till the season kicks off and he's already prepping the lines that considine, aluko, mcguire and diamond will be like getting four new players - yaaaawwwwwnnnn

Fuck off, we need to be signing NEW players to raise the standard, if its one a week until the pre-season tour kicks off (17th July) then that gives us six weeks and six players.

My guess is that he'll maybe sign another one and then proceed to blame agents, the bank, the season ticket sales,the world cup for inflating prices,  the fact that the sun goes down at night...... you name it, he'll try blaming it  ::)

GTF now McGhee ..... pleeeeaaassssseee

The bottom line is that we were told around eight new faces were coming in and we've had one announcement - not good enough, even at this "early stage".

12ish weeks till the season kicks off and he's already prepping the lines that considine, aluko, mcguire and diamond will be like getting four new players - yaaaawwwwwnnnn

Fuck off, we need to be signing NEW players to raise the standard, if its one a week until the pre-season tour kicks off (17th July) then that gives us six weeks and six players.

My guess is that he'll maybe sign another one and then proceed to blame agents, the bank, the season ticket sales,the world cup for inflating prices,  the fact that the sun goes down at night...... you name it, he'll try blaming it  ::)

As far as I was aware he said we had 12 players signed up, so to achieve a squad of 18/20 we'd need another 6/8 players signed up - think that includes potentially the likes of Nelson/Grassi, I think it's only the EE and the like who've ever tried to say will be 8 new players coming in. Could be wrong mind.

Personally I think having Diamond and Considine fit for at least one game together next season will make a difference, as will the return of Pawlett. Not like new signings, but I guess he'll be looking forward to have every first teamer fit for once.

We have one new recruit already with six weeks to go till we start our pre-season games. It's not quite panic stations just yet, and after last summer I guess the cloak and dagger approach is preferable to being too open with the press as he was last summer when we were chasing Hughes and Johnson.

Yes and no.

McGhee is merely the latest person to blame for not being able to get exciting new signings to march through the doors at Pittodrie.

For years, we've been outbid by:

The Old Firm - fair enough, they have a bigger fan base and lion's share of the money from the SPL (although I'm still to work out why they should get more money from the SPL given there's 12 teams in there?)

Teams south of the border - ok, they pay more and us fans can't understand why players would go down there to play for teams like Preston or Blackpool when you could play for the 'Mighty Aberdeen Football Club'.  But let's face it, they'll get more money down south and win the same amount of tropheys there............. ie, fuck all.  I'd do the same.

Things have changed though, we've been losing players to Hibs, Hearts and United.  In fact I think we've bought more players or taken more free transfers from United alone that it fucking scares me.  Hearts have constantly signed our targets, granted in retrospect we were glad when the great white hope Wyness ended up at Hearts but it took us through Hearts, to United to eventually land us Lee Miller who was fucking shite as far as I am concerned.  In fact I've just been sick in my own underpants typing this on my laptop whilst sitting on my lavvy.

Now it's we're getting into fucking LSD induced, Fear and Loathing in Aberdeen weirdness.  Dundee.  Yes, Dundee.  A club from a lower division, are stumping up HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF POUNDS more for players than us.  'Us' being a club that's paid the square root of fuck all for signings for the best part of a decade because we're cost cutting.

Apparently we were the first club to start cutting the cost, penny pinching, capping wages, getting a pay structure in place.  Apparently we did this to ensure the club would be here for years to come.  Well guess what?  All those other clubs that did none of those things have won silverware, nicked our players, beat us regularly and although they haven't been all success stories, I don't feel we can sit back and gloat.

There's certainly no "I told you so" *smug smilie*

What was the point in all of the cost cutting?

Aberdeen Football Club can't afford to buy a toaster, replace a roof on it's main stand and we're led to believe the local council, who can't afford to grit the roads in winter or surface them in summer, can apparently, between the two of them, they plan building a new stadium at the edge of town.  Guffaw.

The worst bit of it is, it wouldn't take fuck all to become a force again in the SPL.  All you have to do is constantly beat the rest of the teams then take it from there.  You qualify for the 3rd spot each season and you automatically become 'a force' because you're getting at least one trip abroad each season and getting the extra cash from it.  How many more Dandies turned up, bought shirts and travelled when that happened?  Didn't the Hertha and Bayern games not generate millions in revenue for a couple one off games?  How many more people with offshore funds turned up to pack the rafters, toot horns, buy strips and corporate tickets because of games Copenhagen?

We've scrimped, we've saved, we've flogged players, we've slashed costs and we've got rid of the high earners for over a decade.  When we actually going to see any fucking results from this?

McGhee hasn't signed anyone?

Are you really surprised?