Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

St Mirren on Saturday

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20100506/aberdeen-v-st-mirren_2212158_2045592

Mark McGhee spoke to the media at lunchtime.

"There is no denying I am glad the season is over and I can start planning properly for next season, although we have been doing that for a while anyway. I have admitted it has been a torrid time for me personally. I don't take full responsibility but I do take responsibility for a huge part of it and how the season has finished.

"I am going away in the summer with Jimmy Calderwood to his villa and reflecting and will make sure it gets better.

"When I was asked by the press at the start of the season if I could finish 4th and qualify for Europe then of course I had to answer the question in a positive way.

"I believed at that time we could do well, I could get some players in, that I would be able to work better with the ones I have, we would have had more luck with injuries and losing key players and losing Lee has not helped us. I am also conscious though I have to do better.

"I have to do a balancing act during the summer. We have 12 players under contract. I have to have a squad of a minimum of 18 by the start of the season. Hopefully at least 20. I have a finite amount of money to do it. I think I have enough to do it to a reasonable extent but that is what I have. I don't have any more. Every time I sign someone it affects it further down the line so I have to balance it all out.

"I am great friends with Gus so that alone will make it a competitive game and give it a competitive edge. Gus will not want to lose to us and we will not want to lose to him. It will be a good spirited game. I can't see why it can't be an open game. So hopefully it will be an entertaining game.

Team news. Mark confirmed Zander will be on the bench tomorrow because if he picks up another booking he will miss the start of the season. Mark McGhee

On the transfer front Mark McGhee distanced himself from newspaper reports linking the Dons with Slovakian international Maros Kilimpl who is at Dundee.

"I will consider everyone who is available including Maros but there is no substance to the stiory as far as I am concerned. That is all coming from their side and it would be wrong to say he is on any list of mine.

He did confirm Kevin Kyle is one of the players on his list.

Mark also confirmed he will have further talks with the out of contract Aberdeen players.

"I will talk to all the out of contract players. Some today, some over the weekend. Some at the start of next week. They will have an understanding of where we are sitting and they can then take that away.

"The financial reality is that we are restricted to what we can offer the out of contract players but as I said there is a gap regards numbers of players, I cannot start the season with 14 players. It is not a case of taking everything I have and going and signing a World class player and having only 13 other players. I have to have a balanced squad.

Mark also rubbished rumours that he will be leaving in the summer.

"I have not failed at any club. I don't intend to fail here. I have even more reason not to fail here as this club means so much to me, more than any of the clubs I have managed so far. I am personally and emotionally attached here. I want to succeed. I have work to do but I am determined to do it.

"I am totally committed to making the changes that need to be made."

This season is a fail. Epic.

I need to see the replay. I had a large drunk leicester city fan in front of me who kept asking me what the score was so I didnt get a clear view.

Another reason is I saw who was about to take the shot and decided to look at my phone in anticipation of a St Mirren throw in.

I need to see the replay. I had a large drunk leicester city fan in front of me who kept asking me what the score was so I didnt get a clear view.

:lolabove: Another person who bumped into mr scary yesterday then! He was at Queen Street when he started talking to us. To be fair to the guy, he may be a foxes fan but takes his lad to all our games at hame and that was his 6 year olds 10th away ground.

:lolabove: Another person who bumped into mr scary yesterday then! He was at Queen Street when he started talking to us. To be fair to the guy, he may be a foxes fan but takes his lad to all our games at hame and that was his 6 year olds 10th away ground.

After he asked me the score for the 4th time I ask if he was alright

He then proceeded to tell me the story of his day and how his son was the fan, he was more interested in the gambling side. I asked where he was from and he suddenly reaches back, grabs my hand very tight, says 'FOXES MAN' then proceeded to kiss my hand several times.  ??? ???

He disappeared at halftime but then came back just after the second half started looking for his son's carrier bag, Called him a 'lucky boy' several times then vanished again. His son then reappeared a few mins later and watched a fair bit of the 2nd half leaning on the advertising board. Good luck to anyone on his train back to stonehaven