Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood not blooding youngsters is a complete myth perpetuated by the people who wanted a new manager to come in. He had a team that included Maguire, Aluko, Considine. He brought in Josh walker for a season. He would play youth if it was worth them being in the team and I don't see McGhee as being any different. Fyvie would have had less than half the appearances he's had so far if Stephen Hughes had signed for us, and similarly Pawlett or Aluko would have made way for O'Brien.

Well 2 out of the 4 players you listed there are not from the youth set up? Aluko - loan/bought / Walker - loan/never played him. I don't think its a complete myth but its clear the board-director of football wanted Fyvie/Pawlett/Paton blooded this season and did not have confidence in JC doing that.

As I said we'll never know if JC would have or not.

I don't think its a complete myth but its clear the board-director of football wanted Fyvie/Pawlett/Paton blooded this season and did not have confidence in JC doing that.

???

Why is that 'clear'?

I don't have them in front of me at the moment, the minutes but the director of football report stated the need for youngsters such as Fyvie to be introduced to the team. Milne at a Q&A session with Inverurie Supporters Club in March stated that Calderwood reluctance to play youth players was a major factor also.

Well 2 out of the 4 players you listed there are not from the youth set up? Aluko - loan/bought / Walker - loan/never played him. I don't think its a complete myth but its clear the board-director of football wanted Fyvie/Pawlett/Paton blooded this season and did not have confidence in JC doing that.

As I said we'll never know if JC would have or not.

Why are the board trying to manage the first team?! Things like that make me angry.

Why are the board trying to manage the first team?! Things like that make me angry.

I was of the understanding that certain Youth Development Officers had approached the board with their concerns about the management team's reluctance to use the youngsters available.

Ta. Fucking baffling though. No wonder the club's on it's arse when it's two biggest decision makers think playing 3 or 4 youths is more important than qualifying for Europe.

Where has that been said?  I'm not really sure what the point of having a good youth system (something our club simply has to have in this day) if they have a manager who is really not too keen on giving those youth players their chance.

You're also talking as if those youth players would not have enhanced our performances last season, something which is of course debatable but by no means unlikely.

Well they've enhanced it to the point of a relegation battle this season.

What I'm saying is sacking Jimmy, with a proven record of top 4 spl finishes, because he wasn't playing Fyvie, Pawlett and Paton regularly is a joke. I trusted him to get us into those league positions AND blood some youngsters along the way, like he did at the end of last season.

Are we going to sack McGhee for not using Fyvie so much lately?

It's the managers job to pick the team and if that was a genuine reason for sacking JC then we are (as Mentorred said) basically on a par with Hearts.

Well they've enhanced it to the point of a relegation battle this season.

What I'm saying is sacking Jimmy, with a proven record of top 4 spl finishes, because he wasn't playing Fyvie, Pawlett and Paton regularly is a joke. I trusted him to get us into those league positions AND blood some youngsters along the way, like he did at the end of last season.

Are we going to sack McGhee for not using Fyvie so much lately?

It's the managers job to pick the team and if that was a genuine reason for sacking JC then we are (as Mentorred said) basically on a par with Hearts.

So our problems this season are purely down to the young players playing? Have a word with yourself man.

it was a reason for sacking him, not the reason for sacking him.  One of the main reasons he was sacked was because he said himself he had taken us as far as he could after beating Celtic. We won hardly any games after that so he, or you, can't really blame people for taking the view he had taken us as far as he could when he had said it himself, can you?

it was a reason for sacking him, not the reason for sacking him. 

BB I didn't even know this was part of the reason he was sacked until today when tsr said...

Milne at a Q&A session with Inverurie Supporters Club in March stated that Calderwood reluctance to play youth players was a major factor also.

Like I said I want the manager to pick the team.  McGhee (or indeed Calderwood) doesn't tell Milne how to build fucking houses does he?

Don't you think it's scandelous if the Chairman is interfering with team matters, and going as far as sacking them because he doesn't agree with selections?

BB I didn't even know this was part of the reason he was sacked until today when tsr said...

Like I said I want the manager to pick the team.  McGhee (or indeed Calderwood) doesn't tell Milne how to build fucking houses does he?

Don't you think it's scandelous if the Chairman is interfering with team matters, and going as far as sacking them because he doesn't agree with selections?

Not sure, I think it was more a viewpoint about where the club were heading in terms of spending money or promoting youngsters. Fairly sure he wasn't telling him to pick Fyvie but using him as an example of a player on the fringes that he could build his team around where as Calderwood disagreed and wanted to spend money the club simply no longer have.

Sandy Clark was on Radio Scotland saying they had identified targets who would have taken the club to 3rd which I believe entirely but unfortunately we did not have the money to meet his requirements.

Would these targets have really cost more than paying off both our management team and paying up for motherwells not to mention Leightons contract. Then you could potentially factor in the Ifil Grassi and the difference between Bossu's and Nelsons contracts.

Fyvie was about 3 years old last season. Not ready for blooding. Pawlett had a few runs, looked too lightweight in terms of strength to avoid injury. Played this season and fucked for half of it. Which makes the giving him some sub appearances instead of starting 11 look like the better decision. There's no reason to believe Paton wouldn't have played just as much this year under any manager, he was about to get punted out on loan, and further, his natural position is being taken up by Mackie as well as a loan signing, so not really giving the lad any more of a chance. Mogwai got dinted out the door after not getting anything like as much of a chance than under the last manager.

So many invalid excuses for poor decision making by the board.