Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee - Clueless since day 1

Even in the deepest darkest dreichest days of Pele and Ebbe, it's hard to think of a point where our club reached as low a point as this.

McGhee has either been the unluckiest manager we've ever had, or he's been a man who has never, ever been up to the job from the minute he joined....because with a couple of exceptions this season has been the most chaotic, shapeless, hopeless, gutless and clueless I've ever seen from an Aberdeen side.

It's almost impossible to image that...no matter the players here next season....McGhee is somehow going to find the inspiration and ability to bring us back even close to the level we were at a year or so ago (which wasn't even all that great anyway).

The season hasn't even finished yet and already McGhee looks like a man floundering in the transfer market....slowly watching each of his '100 targets' slip away as he gives another wail of woe to the papers.

He's now had to suffer the humiliation of substituting the captain HE appointed as he was being booed and ridiculed every time he touched the ball.

Yeap, we have well documented financial problems...but anybody who doesn't think that McGhee should have gotten better out of the players at his disposal is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Regardless of circumstances, he's failed...and spectacularly at that.

I despair that in 3 months time he's going to lead us into more of the same humiliation and take us very quickly into a relegation battle that we won't escape from.

He is a f*cking clown, and we need rid off him before he's allowed to bring in more dead wood that will drag us down with him.

Get him to f*ck.

I've said since day one that the club relented ti fan pressure to get rid of a Manager who had taken us in to Europe twice in the last three seasons, but alas as a support, we overlook the fucking obvious and still hark back to the glory days of the 80's in the real belief we'll be returned to our rightful place in the top three of our league.

We've now had two ex players as Managers and neither have done a thing to have us either playing attractive football or challenging for at least a trophy, indeed one of them (a club legend no less) continues to accept a fee which relates to a players salary for doing 5/8ths of fuck all.

Scottish football is in a mess, we're in a mess and without the necessary funds for strengthening the side, need a Manager who can polish a turd and get the best out of as bad a bunch of players as I've seen in my near 50 years of supporting the club.

Not sure who it is, but it sure isn't McGhee. As for potential replacements for captains, give it to Deek Young - the only player who appears to give a jot.

I've said since day one that the club relented ti fan pressure to get rid of a Manager who had taken us in to Europe twice in the last three seasons, but alas as a support, we overlook the fucking obvious and still hark back to the glory days of the 80's in the real belief we'll be returned to our rightful place in the top three of our league.

I presume you are talking about the manager who had said three months previously to being sacked that he felt he had taken us as far as he could? 

We've now had two ex players as Managers and neither have done a thing to have us either playing attractive football or challenging for at least a trophy, indeed one of them (a club legend no less) continues to accept a fee which relates to a players salary for doing 5/8ths of fuck all.

Absolute utter shite.  Complete fucking bollocks.  Neither have done a thing to have us playing attractive football or challenging for a trophy? You couldn't have seen Miller's team then which had four strikers banging goals in all season, a season we finished second in every domestic competition. Shame you missed that season, we won nothing but we were competing and were the best footballing side in the country.  But maybe it doesn't fit with your agenda to recall that...

Scottish football is in a mess, we're in a mess and without the necessary funds for strengthening the side, need a Manager who can polish a turd and get the best out of as bad a bunch of players as I've seen in my near 50 years of supporting the club.

Not sure who it is, but it sure isn't McGhee. As for potential replacements for captains, give it to Deek Young - the only player who appears to give a jot.

I agree, it isn't McGhee, but in the poorest group of players you've seen, you want to guarantee one of the least talented a game every week because he puts a shift in?

All credit to Young for being an honest pro, but if that's the best we can say for him I wouldn't want to be planning next season around him.

Got to agree with Dunblanedon about Miller.  He cant run a business, so he surely cant be working our finances and since we cant afford quality what use is he to 'attract' players with his name!!

Money should be used for players IMHO.

The players that have heard of Miller, would of heard of McGhee and our '83 backroom team that are left.  I am sure they can all recall glory just as well as Miller.

I mean he got in the Jimmys and all be it, as Bobby says, had taken us as far as he could but then he was part of the backroom staff that got him sacked.  I mean Jimmy didnt want to go, he said that, and was gutted to go.

Dont make sense.

This problem goes far further than McGhee, unfortunately it only really gets looked into when the club get to this state.

Mibbe drink talking but . . .

Blaming Miller is lazy and not fully justified.  He has made significant changes to the youth set up that we are now seeing the fruits of and hopefully will continue to.  He recognised that as a club we need to adopt the hibs model of a team capable of producing sell-able young stars.

For me it says it all that when I heard the score today I wasn't surprised and didn't muster more than a hurumph.  It wasn't till I came onto here and mad that I even thought about MM position.  His position, obviously, is untenable.  We have gone backwards, even compared to the shambles at the beginning of the season.  His signing policy has been atrocious.  His choice of captain abysmal.  He motivational ability non existent.  His utterings to the press manic.  His team selection questionable at best.  We cannot afford to go into the summer, never mind next season with MM.  Equally we cannot afford to sack him.  So Mark show some self awareness, dignity and respect for the club and fans and walk.

Blaming Miller is lazy and not fully justified.  He has made significant changes to the youth set up that we are now seeing the fruits of and hopefully will continue to.  He recognised that as a club we need to adopt the hibs model of a team capable of producing sell-able young stars.

For me it says it all that when I heard the score today I wasn't surprised and didn't muster more than a hurumph.  It wasn't till I came onto here and mad that I even thought about MM position.  His position, obviously, is untenable.  We have gone backwards, even compared to the shambles at the beginning of the season.  His signing policy has been atrocious.  His choice of captain abysmal.  He motivational ability non existent.  His utterings to the press manic.  His team selection questionable at best.  We cannot afford to go into the summer, never mind next season with MM.  Equally we cannot afford to sack him.  So Mark show some self awareness, dignity and respect for the club and fans and walk.

Good post. You're getting a double applaud for that once an hour has gone past and providing I'm not unconcious in a Lagavulin type frenzy.

Was nice to hear more than two words spoken about AFC on 'your call' for a change...just a shame they were all bad.

I'm still not convinced sacking Mcghee would achieve anything, but if Aberdeen don't find a player to LEAD then there's no hope of there being anything other than what seems like division between players and coaches. If that continues then the players AND management all need to be sacked - the staff because their position becomes untenable, the players because I refuse to support anyone who could ever go out on the pitch and not even fight to get the basics right.

It might be that we're already there, but what is clear is that IF Mcghee gets the chance that all his apologists are saying he should get (a full summer of transfers and training) then it doesn't matter that some say he's already now had all the chance he deserves, it will become absolutely impossible for anyone to believe the Jimmy's dross type lines of argument.

If on the other hand we sack him now, all those people will become more obnoxious in claiming (if we are not all that much better next season) that they were right that Mcghee should've had more time. Sacking him now and avoiding the split in the support, that is currently making being at pittodrie so much less appealing, getting worse and longer lasting, is gambling on us being able to find someone to fix this awful bloody mess that the Milne/Miller dream team have dropped us in over the last few years.

If we have yet another season of division at Aberdeen then I really fear for attendances and general interest in the club. We're like a modern day dysfunctional family who seem incapable of pulling in the same direction and about to let everything fall to pieces instead (officially I mean, because I'm starting to think that unofficially it's already happened)

I find it hard to believe that the club will sack McGhee - we are already in a perilous financial position, paying him his contract (whether it's what's left of a 2 year deal, or the rolling 12 months) is just going to add to that predicament.

Then we are looking for another manager, a club with a reputation for having no patience and no money.

Hand on heart, I have no idea what is the way forward. I really, really fear for the future of the club as a "force to be reckoned with".

Like the other old gits on here, I am both blessed with the memories of having seen our team play exciting football and winning trophies and also burdened with the comparison to the current crap crop.

I would love to see us win the league again, but realistically, in these financially driven times, I accept that is exceedingly unlikely.

For the club to come out and complain that the fans have unrealistic expectations is an easy way for them to deflect attention from the fact that we are not actually rioting in the streets just because we didn't win a final, or finish second in the table, we are simply very unhappy at the product being delivered.

Aberdeen FC are simply not fit for purpose.

Like the other old gits on here, I am both blessed with the memories of having seen our team play exciting football and winning trophies and also burdened with the comparison to the current crap crop crap.

Corrected your sentence there. You had it right the first time around!

exactly  :thumbsup:

Saying it's "lazy" and "not fully justified" is shite.

Any criticism that Miller receives is easily justifiable.

It is, if only for bowing to the minor pressure from a few malcontents. Regardless.

I don't agree that keeping McGhee will ease the divisions within the support. The fact is he is not fit for purpose, there is no other argument. However, as our board are incapable of making any type of decision other than a bad one, I'm expecting McGhee will be on the touchline at the start of the season and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two transfer fee's paid in the summer.

I can only hope that the Angus costumes label, is at this moment being marked MM by Mrs McGhee.

exactly  :thumbsup:

Saying it's "lazy" and "not fully justified" is shite.

Any criticism that Miller receives is easily justifiable.

That word makes the rest of your sentence wrong.

Aberdeen FC are simply not fit for purpose.

The most damning but ultimately correct sentence in this thread and quite possibly AFC's history.

Stewart Milne is a succesful businessman. He knows a succesful business.  He looks at AFC now and what does he see? A small band of rabid supporters willing to slate the club at every turn.  A bigger band of supporters who turn up at Pittodrie and meekly trudge out of the stadium every second week muttering under their breath about the abysmal side they see before them. And an even bigger support so fucked off with his tenure that they stopped going some time ago because they're not stupid... it was never going to be good while Milne was in charge. He could ship money to the cause but refuses to, instead letting his managers carry the burden of his mistakes, while his tightness and his short sightedness (more than anything else) kill every manager he has appointed and yet he seems to not realise what he can do to redress the situation...

For a supposed clever man he's seemingly fuckin stupid. Or maybe, just doesn't care.  I now don't think he cares, and I don't think he's cared for quite some time. He fulfills the role, that's it.  There are no longer baying hoardes outside of Pittodrie after a bad result.  that in itself is a result for Milne.  He can't be doing with that pish. Far better to let them skulk away from the club than have them challenge the club head on.  And that's the biggest reason the club is dying.  People are walking away because there is no hope in the club, and it's the club who have told us that in one way or another.

Milne has the team and the support he has always deserved.  And possibly always wanted.

will need to wait until pre-season to start the lynching.  :(

Pre-season is no time for a lynching, thats the time for rediciulous optimism, where find yourself in Montrose on a Tuesday night proclaiming that some trialist who we'll never manage to sign is somehow the greatest player you've ever seen grace the pitch.

Anybody know where McGhee likes to take his teams pre-season?

bloody grammar police - see fit yer saying though.

If I'd said "some of the", it might have been grammatically better but it wouldn't have had the same (negative) impact  ;)

Anyway - pitchfork ordered from Ebay - pity I'm away for a month on monday - will need to wait until pre-season to start the lynching.  :(

Miller deserves a lot of credit.  As well as flak too, i'd imagine.  It's just amazing how, when the first team are shit he gets pelters, when they're good he doesn't.  I wasn't ever aware they were his responsibility considering he has never picked any of them nor given them tactics...

Pre-season is no time for a lynching, thats the time for rediciulous optimism, where find yourself in Montrose on a Tuesday night proclaiming that some trialist who we'll never manage to sign is somehow the greatest player you've ever seen grace the pitch.

Anybody know where McGhee likes to take his teams pre-season?

South of England so he's close to his family....

He's got to go, sad as it is he's clueless and the players hate him.

Weird how some people on other sites are blaming Mr Milne, he's stated time and time again he'll step aside if someone buys him out, no one has ever came forward. If he didn't guarantee our debts we'd be in real trouble. Ian Donald and fans expectations created the debts, not Milne.

No surprise the chap Melville who invested in Dundee said he wouldn't in Aberdeen because of the fans, why risk the abuse on him and his family, he'd never make a dime investing in us, same as Stewart.

Blame McGee and Miller, where else does the buck stop when we can beat Rangers but get hammered by Hamilton.

Exactly the same for me  >:(

The tea lady? the cleaners? thats probably about it!

each week we stumble from one horror show to the next, with the odd good result/performance thrown in. i must admit i'm now utterly bored with the whole thing. like glasgow sheep said, when i heard the result i wasn't in the least bit surprised and/or particularly bothered. i now feel i've totally fallen out of love with the club, and since no-one there seems to give much of a shit, why should I?

thanks AFC! as a lifelong supporter, i now feel i couldn't really give a shit what happens the last couple of games. i won't be spending a penny on the club for a long, long time!