Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Kerr and McDonald to leave?

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.acciesfc.co.uk/

Accies today snapped up 28 year old midfielder Gary McDonald  from Aberdeen. Previously with Kilmarnock and Oldham Athletic, he signed till the end of the season this morning. He has also been capped once (with one goal) at B level for Scotland. Manager Billy Reid commented, "I felt we needed another addition in the centre of the park, with the loss of Wesolowski and McArthur from last season, and we will be missing Alex Neil at the start of the season. Gary is the first real attacking midfielder I've had since Stuart Taylor in our First Division winning season. I think he can bring a presence and goals to our team. Gary hitting the box can be a big asset for us. By his own admission I don't think he did as well as he could have at Aberdeen last season, but I know that he is raring to go just now. I'm pleased to add him to the squad."

:intheclub:

:lolabove:

Too true though :( Hopefully he'll be his usual anonymous self.

He was annonymous last season for us, but the previous season he was actually a good player for us, made a lot of intelligent runs forward, contributed with goals and his general play was good after a slow start and I really thought he could have been a big player for us last season. Fuck knows what got into him though.

He was annonymous last season for us, but the previous season he was actually a good player for us, made a lot of intelligent runs forward, contributed with goals and his general play was good after a slow start and I really thought he could have been a big player for us last season. Fuck knows what got into him though.

Aye, if I recall, a few of us thought he was the next Barry Nich :( Oh how we were wrong.

I see now the BBC have taken to putting up little videos of players scoring goals to 'deonstrate' why thy were signed.

First I thought it was just those who signed for celtic but now they have one for Macdonald and whats classics they are too  ::)

Yeah, the bbc used the word "highlights" after "McDonalds Aberdeen goal".  I am sure thats libelous!!  We must have a leg to stand on.  Sue the beeb and buy oot Milne!!

Sorry talkin pish again! :(

McDonald set for swift Pittodrie return after Accies move

Published: 05/08/2010

Gary McDonald is determined to hit the ground running following his move to Hamilton yesterday.

The 28-year-old attacking midfielder hopes an exciting new chapter in his career will unfold when Accies face Aberdeen, the club he left earlier in the summer, in the opening SPL game of the season at Pittodrie on Saturday week.

McDonald, signed by manager Billy Reid on a one-year contract after rejecting the chance to stay with the Dons, will fill a vital gap in midfield following the departures of James McArthur and James Wesolowski.

The former Kilmarnock player said: “They are a good bunch of players and I am going to enjoy the challenge. Hamilton did really well last season, they finished it brilliantly and will be looking to take it into the new season.

“Mark McGhee offered me a new contract  :o , but I just fancied something different and a new challenge.

“I will have to work hard to get my fitness up because I am playing catch up after missing the start of pre season training. If I can do that hopefully I will get the opportunity to do well.

“We’ve got Aberdeen in our first game and I know from experience Hamilton have had a great record against them in the last year or two.

“Of course I would like to be involved in that one, it’s one to look forward to and one I want to play in.

“The manager here has done a great job and everyone can see what he has done for the club. When I spoke to him it was all positive, the way he likes the team to play, and he made it clear it would suit me going forward and hopefully scoring a few goals.

“I scored 10 in the last two seasons for Aberdeen and hopefully I will do better this season. Last season at Aberdeen we all under-performed and finishing in the bottom six was not good enough. But that’s behind me now and all I am thinking about is Hamilton.”

Reid said: “We needed another addition in the centre of the park, with the loss of Wesolowski and McArthur and we will be missing Alex Neil at the start.

“Gary is the first real attacking midfielder I’ve had since Stuart Taylor in our First Division winning season. I think he can bring a presence and goals to our team. Gary hitting the box can be a big asset for us. By his own admission I don’t think he did as well as he could have at Aberdeen last season, but I know that he is raring to go just now.

“I’m pleased to add him to the squad.”