Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Kerr and McDonald to leave?

McGhee’s Aberdeen clearout is under way

By Michael Gannon

Published: 28/04/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has begun clearing the way for new arrivals at Pittodrie after telling youngsters Nicky Clark and Jonathan Crawford they will not be offered new contracts when their deals end next month.

Midfielder Clark, 19, and defender Crawford, 20, who have spent the majority of the season on loan at Peterhead, are the first confirmed departures but are not expected to be the last as McGhee looks to construct a new squad.

Captain Mark Kerr, Gary McDonald, Charlie Mulgrew, Stuart Duff, Davide Grassi, Paul Marshall and Stuart Nelson are all out of contract and expected to leave, as well as borrowed Plymouth forward Steven MacLean, whose loan deal will expire in a fortnight.

The exodus will leave McGhee with room to manoeuvre in his efforts to bring in up to 10 players in the summer.

The Dons manager has a substantial list of targets and has already opened up signing talks with several, including Kilmarnock forward Kevin Kyle.

The Scotland international is out of contract at Rugby Park in the summer but has options to return to England, although concrete offers are not expected until the dust settles at the end of the campaign.

McGhee was impressed by Inverness attacker Richie Foran but the Irish forward last night signed a new two-year deal in the Highlands and the Dons also look set to miss out on his Caley Thistle team-mate Jonny Hayes.

Dubliner Hayes is also on Aberdeen’s radar but his contract talks are at an advanced stage and he is expected to follow Foran’s example and extend his stay at Caledonian Stadium.

The third member of Caley Jags’ attacking triumvirate, Adam Rooney, is a player McGhee covets. That is not surprising considering the forward’s 26-goal haul this season but, with another year on his contract, the 22-year-old is beyond Aberdeen’s financial reach.

McGhee is keeping quiet on his transfer targets but the released young players are now assessing their options as they look to find new clubs.

Crawford made his only two appearances for the Dons in August last year, while Clark has never played for the first team.

The duo impressed at Peterhead on loan this season and Blue Toon manager Neale Cooper would love to capture the released pair on a permanent basis.

He is not getting his hopes up, however, and said: “I would think they will be looking to stay in full-time football, which is understandable.

“They are young lads and they did very well for us but I am sure they will believe they can do a job at a higher level. I am sure there will be a few clubs who will have a look at them.

“I would be thinking the same thing but, if circumstances allow it, we could consider getting them back.

“I would not expect anything to be done any time soon.â€

Finally some good news, although I'd like to see us keep Mulgrew.

In many games this season he's been our only goal threat.

I'd disagree with that. The threat level diminished the longer he went without doing anything. for someone who's supposedly a freekick expert to only score 3 (plus 1 in open play) isn't much of a threat. The threat was all in our heads most of this season, probably because of his freekick form last season.

Other than kerr, mulgrew is the player i'm most keen to have off our wage bill.

He's not scored a free kick for months. If he's not hitting the target from set pieces he's worthless.

Agreed. Just pelted it into the wall for months noo. No that great at defending, no that great going forward and his corners are absolutely wank. If he can't score from free kicks then he's absolutely useless, which he hasn't been doing.

Not in the slightest bit upset we're losing any of them. 

Who the fuck we get in to replace them is another matter all together.

Agreed. Going on McGhee's signings and the well publicised lack of resources, why should we expect to be picking up players that are of better quality than those that are leaving?

Like as has been said, I'm not particularly bothered by this. Much like most of the team these players have underperformed this season and its best for all parties concerned that they leave. Mulgrew, appears to have gone completely off the boil after his 'super jan' shop window appearances. Had it not been for him we'd have been even more fucked though. Just more worried what will come the other way when they leave.

Hinna been on this forum for ages and I come back and look at this one thread and am reminded why! Same shite different month.

Players are getting punted and we can't afford worthwhile replacements. Yawn.

Hinna seen you post on this forum in ages and see this and see why I never paid much attention. YAWN.

I think he's talking about how depressing it is being a dons fan just now, there's no doubt about it the forum has been quieter lately because the results have been shite.

Don't think it was a dig at donstalk as such.

I think he's talking about how depressing it is being a dons fan just now, there's no doubt about it the forum has been quieter lately because the results have been shite.

Don't think it was a dig at donstalk as such.

Nail on the head. Thank you.

Obviously you lot are a sensitive bunch. It wasn't an attack on any poster. Just showing my dismay at the familiar situation we're now in as Dons fans.

• 2 months later...