Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Miller vows to stay at club as angry creditors hit out

Miller vows to stay at club as angry creditors hit out

businessmen question whether Dons legend should be allowed to remain in Pittodrie post

By Ryan Crighton

Published: 05/02/2010

ABERDEEN Football Club’s under-fire director of football has vowed to stay at Pittodrie despite the growing anger over his business dealings.

The Press and Journal revealed on Saturday that the Dons legend’s latest failed restaurant venture, Skippers, ran up debts of more than £350,000 before closing last month. Almost 20 local firms, Aberdeen City Council and Aberdeen College are among the creditors left counting the cost of his third restaurant shutdown in five years.

Angry businessmen and some fans are now questioning if the former Scotland international should remain in such a high-profile role at Aberdeen FC.

Since 2004, Mr Miller has been overseeing the football operation at the club, from youth level to the first team, and has a seat on the board. Speaking about Skippers for the first time since the business closed, Mr Miller said it had not left his position at the club under threat.

He insisted he had “nothing to hide†over the failed venture, and that all the paperwork had been handed to the liquidators.

The 54-year-old urged angry creditors not to take their anger out on him or the club.

He said: “I understand their frustration, but making it personal is not the way to go. I will answer any questions they want to put to me.

“There is no doubt over my future (at the club). I am totally committed to the work I have done at the club over the last five years.

“I have put time and effort into the youth set-up and I want to see the fruits of that.

“There is absolutely no way I will be going.â€

Potterton-based potato supplier WM Fraser is among the creditors hit by the collapse of the Queens Links Leisure Park restaurant business.

Last night, company boss Tim Halliwell said questions must be asked over Mr Miller’s role with the Dons.

“I think that (Mr Miller’s future) it is up to the Aberdeen board, but I have drawn my own conclusions,†he said.

“If he has failed running a fish and chip shop, that perhaps questions whether he is fit to be on the board of Aberdeen Football Club.â€

Banff baker George Moir, who has followed the Dons for 40 years, said he was Mr Miller’s biggest fan until doing business with him.

He said: “Everyday working folk have been hit by this and I am disappointed that it is being mentioned in the same breath as Aberdeen FC.

“I held him in such high esteem as a player and a club representative, so it is disappointing that this has blotted his image.â€

Another among the unpaid businesses is Grampian Electrical Services (GES), of Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen.

It carried out electrical work worth thousands of pounds at the Skippers site, which was previously occupied by bar-and-grill venture Fandangos.

GES director Scott Findlay does not believe the Dons legend should be forced out of Pittodrie, however.

He said: “What he does in business and what he does at Pittodrie are different things, so it is up to (Aberdeen FC chairman) Stewart Milne to judge.

“I don’t want to see a witch-hunt. I am disappointed at what has happened, but that is with Willie Miller the businessman.

“I just want what is fair and right. It is nothing personal.â€

Fans posting messages on internet forums were split on Mr Miller’s future last night.

One said his business dealings making front-page news was a “disgrace to the football club and the cityâ€.

Another however said: “Willie Miller's business activities have nothing to do with Aberdeen FC. He's doing a great job as director of football, as the blooding of so many decent youngsters displays.â€

Last night, a spokesman for the Dons said: “His restaurant business and his job at the club are two totally different things. As far as we are concerned, Willie will be continuing as normal in his role as director of football.â€

Mr Miller is understood to have been confronted by city businessman John King at Union Street’s Soul Bar after Aberdeen’s 3-0 defeat against Motherwell at the weekend.

Mr King, who supplied Skippers with fish, declined to comment last night.

Mr Miller said he had been out with a friend, Lex Hall, who was celebrating overcoming cancer.

The club spokesman added: “The guy who caused the problem was thrown out of the bar because of his behaviour. Willie was not.â€

maybe unpaid wages for work placements or something? Or he sent staff on a course and didn't pay up. Or maybe a business management course for himself?

That'd probably be the one. My last food hygiene course was there.

He'd probably get a refund on any Business Management course.

Sounds like open season to me.

He's director of football.  Since coming on board he's revitalised the youth set up, helped steady the first team ship, and reduced the debt as a result of the UEFA cup run.

Plus, he's Milne's scapegoat.  To hell with going back to Milne being the public face of the board again.

Guest rocket debris

I don't quite understand how Willie Miller has run up debts of £1 million, yet he can still afford to drink champagne in swanky bars.

Shouldn't he have lost his house, car etc by now? No? Someone please enlighten me.

Limited companies. Limited Liability. Use the internet.

What a load of pish. Stop reading that fucking rag, it's worse than the record and all the so called "weegie press". The P&J and the EE make clowns out of the lot of you.  :wave:

your are right they do report nonsense at times.however as long as it is filled with shit about Afc they will always be my favourite rags! If the whole team died in a plane crash on the way Back from the Europa league final it would get 2sentances on the 7th back page of the daily record.behind Mowbray buys another shit player and smith scrapes another boring win

your are right they do report nonsense at times.however as long as it is filled with shit about Afc they will always be my favourite rags! If the whole team died in a plane crash on the way Back from the Europa league final it would get 2sentances on the 7th back page of the daily record.behind Mowbray buys another shit player and smith scrapes another boring win

They report nonsense 100 percent of the time. Its complete and utter amateur journalism. If the news about Aberdeen is big enough it gets priority in any Scottish paper. I couldnt give a fuck about ex players urging the team on or having a go at the club, couldn't give a fuck about players rattling out the same old cliched footballers quotes pre match or post match. Both papers are fucking pish. If you want to buy something just because it mentions AFC then go ahead, but you're wasting your money on headlines that mean absolutely fuck all.

Jager, I wasn't referring to anything you said, I didn't even read your posts, sorry.

So what does Miller do?

Do hibs have a director of football? United?

I think it's aluxury we can't afford. With the playing squad reduced to the size it is - why is he needed?

Surely the manager and chief executive should be able to work together to move things forward?

Why does somebody need to be a director to work with the youth setup? Surely a lower paid employee could do just as good a job?

Are you harking back to the days of Paterson and Milne?  ???

How many times have you actually bought these papers?sure ee is full of shite.as long as you put it context it doesn't matter a fuck. I would far rather read that than shite bout the of and who the fuck alan macgregors mum is shagging now.

I've bought the P&J once. That was enough. It might as well be written in crayon.

How many times have you actually bought these papers?sure ee is full of shite.as long as you put it context it doesn't matter a fuck. I would far rather read that than shite bout the of and who the fuck alan macgregors mum is shagging now.

Same could be asked vice versa.

Who gives a fuck?  It's different shades of shite. You're arguing about one set of papers who won't give us the time of day, and another who is the local paper but can't wait to put us in the shit! 

I'll live without both, thanks.

So what does Miller do?

Do hibs have a director of football? United?

I think it's aluxury we can't afford. With the playing squad reduced to the size it is - why is he needed?

Surely the manager and chief executive should be able to work together to move things forward?

Why does somebody need to be a director to work with the youth setup? Surely a lower paid employee could do just as good a job?

I honestly reckon the only way the supporters could ever gauge whether Willie is doing the job is if JC and MM honestly commented on it.  If WM made JC's job easier and if he does make MM's job easier while the youth set up is contiually improving then I think we have to go with it, no?  If they say his job is worthwhile, then who are we to argue?

Otherwise, how can any of us say honestly?

I honestly reckon the only way the supporters could ever gauge whether Willie is doing the job is if JC and MM honestly commented on it.  If WM made JC's job easier and if he does make MM's job easier while the youth set up is contiually improving then I think we have to go with it, no?  If they say his job is worthwhile, then who are we to argue?

Otherwise, how can any of us say honestly?

Totally agree, however, with the past few days/weeks events, I have wondered whether or not WM position has become untenable. And I believe it has. Regardless of what he has done for the club, if he starts to cost the club money, he has to go. Simple as that. :(

Same could be asked vice versa.

Who gives a fuck?  It's different shades of shite. You're arguing about one set of papers who won't give us the time of day, and another who is the local paper but can't wait to put us in the shit! 

I'll live without both, thanks.

Afc land themselves in the shit.the local rags are far too kind to the neeps in charge at the club.it's not in their interests to say things as they are.I was saying it's mindless rubbish to read invthe aftrnoon while Im having a shite and eating crisps.if I wanted inspiration or guidance I would read the beano

Totally agree, however, with the past few days/weeks events, I have wondered whether or not WM position has become untenable. And I believe it has. Regardless of what he has done for the club, if he starts to cost the club money, he has to go. Simple as that. :(

Unfortunately manc, I'm bordering on the same conclusion.  :(

Afc land themselves in the shit.the local rags are far too kind to the neeps in charge at the club.it's not in their interests to say things as they are.I was saying it's mindless rubbish to read invthe aftrnoon while Im having a shite and eating crisps.if I wanted inspiration or guidance I would read the beano

I suggest you read the beano then.