McLean (loan)

Paterson (loan)

OUT:

Wright (contract ripped up)

Maguire (loan - Killie)

Miller ('Boro c£500k)

Ross (end of contract)

What do we think, presuming that's it?

Three strikers out and only one in, kinda leaves us a bit thin on the ground up front if we get any injuries.  Certainly a great deal to get cash for Miller and losing Wright is less significant than losing the tea-lady.

Maguire loan is an intersting one.  MM doesn't seem to rate him and has continued to play him out wide when if he is effective anywhere it is surely through the middle.  Also can't see JC either playing him much or playing him through the middle (I mean he never did when he was here).  Will hopefully pan out differently and he gets a few goals and some regular game time up front, but can't see it.

Still a thread bare squad and could do with one more signing at least but overall, thanks to the Miller money I'd say a net gain for us.

Money is a long term plus however in the short term better hope we do not get any injuries as squad is very small now.

Paterson replacing Ross and having Zander back means we have reasonable cover at the back I would have thought.

Midfield is served pretty well although we are crying out for a winger as we won't have both a fit Pawlett and Aluko for any prolonged period of time.

Up front is incredibly threadbare though, especially if McLean fails to find the net......mind you if MM continues with his one up front idea then maybe we're better covered than you would think

Still think there will be more.

Duff to ICT or Killie.

And we might get someone else in.

So...

Langfield

Foster Ifil Diamond Mulgrew/Paterson

Pawlett Kerr Young Aluko/Paterson

McLean Mackie/Paton/Aluko/NEWBIE

Yea, looking not bad, would like to see depth added before midnight though.

So...

Langfield

Fyvie as well of course.

Agreed if we've got one more deal to be done, I hope it's a striker.

Dunno if anyone has RedTV but apparently McGhee is on there saying we had pretty much agreed to sign some other player, forms were sent off to be signed and then he went and signed for someone else.

Suspect that means that's it for Jan 2010

Aye. Also like this bit,

"Maguire to Killie, you'll be hoping he comes back a better player?"

"Well, I'm sure he'll come back..."

So...

Langfield

I woul drather play

Langfield

Foster Diamiond Mulgrew Paterson

Pawlett Kerr Fyvie Paton

McLean Mackie

Dunno if anyone has RedTV but apparently McGhee is on there saying we had pretty much agreed to sign some other player, forms were sent off to be signed and then he went and signed for someone else.

Suspect that means that's it for Jan 2010

I'm going to hazard a guess at Stephen Dobbie.

Stephen Dobbie [swansea - Blackpool] Loan

Providing Paterson is as good and as fit as he was when he left Motherwell then I'm relatively pleased with these signings.  I've no doubt MacLean will score a few given the right service.

As for Maguire, this will hopefully act as the kick up the arse he so desperately needs. For too long he hasn't applied himself correctly, and seemed quite content to put in some really half arsed performances.  Maybe having to play in a team threatened with relegation will open his eyes a bit and realise how lucky he is to be at a club like Aberdeen.

I'm still stunned Boro paid around £500k for Miller. For a player who only had about 6 months left on his contract that was too good a deal to turn down.

I wasn't happy to hear about the link with Mickey Stewart but thinking about it this morning made me realise that, assuming we play this 4-5-1 next season, a midfield of Aluko, Fyvie, Stewart, Pawlett, O'Brien would be possibly the best midfield in the SPL.

It would also aloow us to play more of a 4-3-3 when going forwards so I'd be excited to see those two signings. Whether we actually get EITHER of them though I'm not so sure I believe.

Didn't we get rebuffed by Bristol City for Clarkson and Kyle was wanting to wait till the end of the season?

Reasonably happy with the dealings in the window. Wouldn't have minded seeing another wide player coming into the club but beggars can't be choosers! :thumbsup:

Whilst I am as equally stunned as everyone else for getting approx 500k for Miller, I am still somewhat saddened by his depature. Not saddened by him leaving, more saddened by the knowledge that he had an abundance of talent, yet showed it not nearly enough. On his day, he was a cracking player in the air and with the ball at his feet but for some reason, never showed this talent. Perhaps it was down to hopeful punt up to him from the defence which was seen so often or just general laziness on his part. His best spell for AFC came in Jan 2009, in my opinion. However, generally his goals to games ratio is not good enough to be the goalscorer AFC so blatanly need.

Hopefully MacLean will provide a 'fox in the box' kind of striker we need and will provide goals. Has a decent goal-scoring record but not seen much/anything atal of him to form an opinion on him! Thus can also be said for Paterson. Can he play anywhere else apart from left back? Another defender was a priority. What does this mean for Mulgrew? Impressed me when he has played at centre back this season, but Diamond is returning through injury?

Also Maguire going out on loan suits both parties. For too long, he has shown no progress whatsoever since being involved with the first team, only showing glimpses of his potential. Equally as frustrating as Miller, in the sense he has the ability but shows it not nearly often enough. It's my fear that he will never realise this potential as it is coming to the stage now that he can no longer be classed as a 'youngster'. He's been in the first team long enough now to at least show some development and progress, yet I see none. You can point to often being deployed out wide instead of through the middle but this should not halt progress in technical ability and physique.