Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - central defence

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

End of round two, and the team is starting to look like that all-conquering 1990 team. Despite the bustup with the fans and the move to Ibrox respectively, McKimmie and Robertson emerged as eventual winners of the left and right back positions. By the sounds of things, voters are voting with their memories of footballing ability, rather than sentimental value.

Next up is the two central defensive positions. To speed up the process, I'm going to allow you all to choose TWO players from this list. This will be interesting, because we've had some decent quality centrebacks play for us over the past 20 years - and not everyone agrees on who was quality and who was not! With this in mind, I'm choosing players based on their RECOGNISED positions (rather than players who play elsewhere, but have done not too bad when placed as CB on a temporary basis)

This poll will run until next Saturday. Remember, these are ONLY players who've played for Aberdeen between 1990 and 2010. As before, I'm not going to mention ALL players from the past two decades ... just the ones worth mentioning.

I'd regard Smith as more of a natural right-back than anything else. Hence why he was in the wing-backs poll and not this one. I was contemplating adding Severin to this poll, but although he was an excellent centreback, his recognised position was in midfield. As for McGuire, I popped him in there for his consistency during our 2001-02 season. He played something like 34 consecutive matches for the Dons that season and was only dropped by Ebbe to give the loon a rest. Whilst not being a fantastic talent, he was consistent with his defensive displays and scored more goals than any of our current crop of strikers

I'd regard Smith as more of a natural right-back than anything else. Hence why he was in the wing-backs poll and not this one. I was contemplating adding Severin to this poll, but although he was an excellent centreback, his recognised position was in midfield. As for McGuire, I popped him in there for his consistency during our 2001-02 season. He played something like 34 consecutive matches for the Dons that season and was only dropped by Ebbe to give the loon a rest. Whilst not being a fantastic talent, he was consistent with his defensive displays and scored more goals than any of our current crop of strikers

Smith was a centre half, and a very good one at that.  I'm not sure I'd vote for him in this poll, but he deserves to be there ahead of at least 2 of the other names listed.

Sorry, but even an ageing WM saw the game better, moved into positions better and "swet" better then enyone else on that list, even if only for a few dozen games since 1990.

McLeish is a cert...and all the others are similar "center backs", so it has to be McLeish and Miller

A few dozen games? are you sure about that?

A few dozen games? are you sure about that?

according to my records (Kevin Stirling's book) Miller played a total of 5 (five) games for us in the 90s

Smith was a centre half, and a very good one at that.  I'm not sure I'd vote for him in this poll, but he deserves to be there ahead of at least 2 of the other names listed.

Equally the records show Reekie is talking pish and Smith, as I also recalled, played about 90% of games at centre back, and was pretty decent there, and should by rights be in this poll, particularly ahead of Koumboure and McGuire(FFS Sake)

according to my records (Kevin Stirling's book) Miller played a total of 5 (five) games for us in the 90s

As I thought, and as much as Willie Miller is by far and away the finest player I've seen in our colours, I don't think you can count someone who has played 5 (five  ;) ) matches for us in this time period as the best.

I did read the thread.....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHH!!!!!!!

I don't have a "block" with Anderson, TBH he was a good player, but looked better in a shite side. I have to say I think Smith was an all round better player (dons tin hat) but really since '90 we've had at best a CD of "good/really good + donkey", hence my original choice

I did read the thread.....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHH!!!!!!!

I don't have a "block" with Anderson, TBH he was a good player, but looked better in a shite side. I have to say I think Smith was an all round better player (dons tin hat) but really since '90 we've had at best a CD of "good/really good + donkey", hence my original choice

"good/really good + donkey". Ok. So, you think Anderson was a good player, could he not take the place of the donkey you quote?  It's not who made the best partnership... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you think Smith was a better player than Anderson (I assume) despite his total arse collapse once McLeish left his side?

Sorry, I thought as we were picking two: it was the best partnership I went for. My bad!

I think in his first spell Smith WAS better than Anderson. But Anderson was better than anyone else on the list bar Willie and Alex, as an "individual" player.....god I'm confused as to what to think now.

As it's a poll, why don't you choose for me?

Sorry, I thought as we were picking two: it was the best partnership I went for. My bad!

I think in his first spell Smith WAS better than Anderson. But Anderson was better than anyone else on the list bar Willie and Alex, as an "individual" player.....god I'm confused as to what to think now.

As it's a poll, why don't you choose for me?

Do you know what day of the week it is?