The Football Years

Was it a good watch?

Not really. Seemed like 4 or 5 interesting interviews or bits of footage hacked to fuck to fit the required length. Whole thing seemed to just end abruptly at the point where they could shoe horn in the required OF jibber jabber.

The youtube clips of the 80s tv show posted last week had far more interest than this half hearted attempt did.

Guest rocket debris

Not really. Seemed like 4 or 5 interesting interviews or bits of footage hacked to fuck to fit the required length. Whole thing seemed to just end abruptly at the point where they could shoe horn in the required OF jibber jabber.

The youtube clips of the 80s tv show posted last week had far more interest than this half hearted attempt did.

Don't listen to him. It was excellent, the most uplifting thing seen on TV for any Aberdeen fan for a couple of decades. For North East Aberdeen fans in particular, it was an absolute treat.

Ok, was criitical before it was broadcast, but I'm with Rocket and CtS.

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, and in all honesty balance was pretty much ok. Biggest surprise was managing to capture Jim McLean on a day when he managed to come across as pleasant.

Whole programme brought back a number of memories, mostly good, some bad, and some amusing. Can remember being in the Paddock, the night of the HIVS game that ended 1-1. We had a bunch of HIVs in front of us, giving it big stuff when they were one up, as they were bottom of the league and hadn't won away from home all season. Towards end of game and scores equal bit of nastiness started to set in. At end of game the fuckers charged myself and my mate. Totally outnumbered we run like fuck down the stairs. Felt a thud off the back of my head, turned around and some fucker had chucked a shoe, picked the fucker up and run up Merkland Rd.

Seem to have it in my memory bank that WGS missed a penalty that night. Can anyone confirm ?

Anyway back to programme, the thing that annoyed me was they made it out that we won the league on goal difference, when in reality we were nine goals positive in terms of goal difference and still had a game to play the following Wednesday. 

I'm with the rocket. Mostly recycled footage and interview content but surely no dons fan can ever get enough of this kind of thing?

I also thoroughly enjoyed Cosgrove's input.

I agree.

Aside from the buzz of watching us starting that climb to utter dominance I really enjoyed the way they marketed the programme as 'the year everything changed'. The conclusion at the end that the OF final was some sort of desperate last bastion of success in what was to be a barren period and that the rioting was a collective tantrum at the loss of their throne was brilliant. I have a lot of time for Cosgrove, he is an ineliigent commentator of the social aspects of football and very much enjoys the anti-OF sentiment.

I enjoyed it, showed some footage I'd never seen before including a Miller rocket from 3 yards at Dens Park.  Cosgrove was good, I've always thought he's had a wee liking for us.

Had to laugh at Fergie shouting during training: "Dingus, you're allowed to score ye know!"  Maybe that explains something about where we've been going wrong this season...  ;)

Would also liked to have heard if Miller knocked the shit out of Best in the tunnel at Pittodrie.

there is always a tinge of sadness watching these things, you inevitably think "if only we were like that now..." and it was probably summed up by McGhee saying that Aitken later told him that when the Celtic players looked at our lot in the tunnel we seemed so pumped up for it, it was almost as if our players were on drugs.  compared to now where we have pea-hearted boys who think they're men, more worried about how their hair looks than if they're going to win the match and get stuck into the enemy from the first whistle.

Have to say though, Bobby Clark didn't cover himself in glory with some of the clips that were shown  :o

I enjoyed it, showed some footage I'd never seen before including a Miller rocket from 3 yards at Dens Park.  Cosgrove was good, I've always thought he's had a wee liking for us.

Had to laugh at Fergie shouting during training: "Dingus, you're allowed to score ye know!" Maybe that explains something about where we've been going wrong this season...  ;)

Would also liked to have heard if Miller knocked the shit out of Best in the tunnel at Pittodrie.

there is always a tinge of sadness watching these things, you inevitably think "if only we were like that now..." and it was probably summed up by McGhee saying that Aitken later told him that when the Celtic players looked at our lot in the tunnel we seemed so pumped up for it, it was almost as if our players were on drugs.  compared to now where we have pea-hearted boys who think they're men, more worried about how their hair looks than if they're going to win the match and get stuck into the enemy from the first whistle.

Have to say though, Bobby Clark didn't cover himself in glory with some of the clips that were shown  :o

:lolabove: That was priceless.

I'm not saying folk are wrong for liking it but I was expecting something that dealt with Aberdeen's success as it developed further. Never seen the prog before so I hadn't realised 'football years' necessarily meant a series about single seasons. The title being plural could indicate either a series of single years or a collection of single shows that cover a varying number of years. I wrongly expected the latter so only saw a tiny part of what I was expecting.

I agree with rocket that it is the best dons prog for a couple decades...which is why I said the prog from the mid 80s is a better watch. And I did enjoy some of the interviews but like I said originally it seemed as though there would've been far more watchable content, esp from the interviews, than they actually fit into that show. The content about the two cup finals was a distraction that didn't really add much to my (biased) viewing experience. For me the real story was Fergie's revolution and while great to see him interviewed in a modern prog, his time on air probably only added up to about 2 mins.

I went in expecting too much of the programme and as a result only enjoyed 1/2 to 2/3 of it.

Obviously nice to see some dons coverage but given the 2 seconds they devoted to gothenburg I somehow doubt 1983 will feature as one of the Daily record's 'football years' in future. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

As I've already said brought the memories flooding back.

Missus thought I was off my head sitting watching that with tears in my eyes.

I left school the year we won the league and was fortunate enough to follow us everywhere until married life and fatherhood put a halt to things for a few years.

I consider myself to be blessed with exceptional good fortune to have been born when I was. Nothing will ever compare with the May afternoon when two goals in a couple of minutes mid way through the first half and the realisation that we were going to win the league.

Without doubt the best of times