Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Brian Irvine v Russell Anderson

Shamelessly nicked from Aberdeen-Mad, but I thought this would go down well on here.  ;)

Had a debate recently and couldn't decide if Russell Anderson was a better player than Brian Irvine.

Both would easily walk into our team today, and though Irvine was always classed as a bit of a donkey, he still got 2 cup medals (inc the winning penalty in our last Scottish Cup win), over 300 appearances, 9 Scotland caps and about 30-odd league goals.

Anderson on the other hand fell short of the 300 mark, won nothing and picked up 11 caps, scoring 18 goals as well as being Dons captain for several seasons.

It's difficult to balance modern athleticism of the current players against the obviously higher standard of Scottish players in Dobbin's time, but in this sort of argument, I always think it should be a given that the older player would up his fitness if playing now.

Thoughts?

sorry, is this thread solely for my purpose...?

"Walk into" is a step too far. If everyone was fit, Diamond included, then I honestly don't think he would.  Diamond is a better player than Irvine.  Ifil does similar things to Irvine like kick the ball out of play, incapable of finding a team mate ten yards away, lunges into silly tackles he doesn't have to make.  Considine also does similar things to Irvine, mainly huge losses of concentration.

I've said it a hundred times, I know it's not going to be a popular opinion but I just did not rate the guy.  Scratching my eyes out with cats claws was preferrable to watching him play for us.  People liked him because he was a "nice guy" and cos he kissed the badge.  He was largely a poor player.  He had his moments, of course and the penalty in the cup final will live with me til the day I die but look at the bigger picture.  He had McLeish holding his hand for the first few years of him being in the team on a regular basis and he was pretty ropey then.  Big Eck left and it went from bad to worse.  You obviously rate the guy and good on ye, but I don't, maybe you should just accept that.

And, incidentally, there is not a chance in hell he was a better player than Anderson.

I have to disagree. It was the Umbro Logo he kissed.

sorry, is this thread solely for my purpose...?

"Walk into" is a step too far. If everyone was fit, Diamond included, then I honestly don't think he would.  Diamond is a better player than Irvine.  Ifil does similar things to Irvine like kick the ball out of play when there is no need, incapable of finding a team mate ten yards away, lunges into silly tackles he doesn't have to make.  Considine also does similar things to Irvine, mainly huge losses of concentration.

I've said it a hundred times, I know it's not going to be a popular opinion but I just did not rate the guy.  Scratching my eyes out with cats claws was preferrable to watching him play for us.  People liked him because he was a "nice guy" and cos he kissed the badge.  He was largely a poor player.  He had his moments, of course and the penalty in the cup final will live with me til the day I die but look at the bigger picture.  He had McLeish holding his hand for the first few years of him being in the team on a regular basis and he was pretty ropey then.  Big Eck left and it went from bad to worse.  You obviously rate the guy and good on ye, but I don't, maybe you should just accept that.

And, incidentally, there is not a chance in hell he was a better player than Anderson.

Guest rocket debris

Thoughts?

Irvine was car crash TV waiting to happen. Russell was technically far superior. If only RA's heart, balls and soul were in it week in, week out, then he couldabinacontenda. Irvine's lack of skill was compensated by his honest endeavour. He was a great worker. We were spoiled with Miller and McLeish which made Brian look more donkeyesque but for me, no contest, Anderson every time. You couldn't get any more out of Irvine. Russell in 2nd gear was still better. Problem was that he generally stayed in 2nd or 3rd gear but he never hit overdrive.

Irvine was car crash TV waiting to happen. Russell was technically far superior. If only RA's heart, balls and soul were in it week in, week out, then he couldabinacontenda. Irvine's lack of skill was compensated by his honest endeavour. He was a great worker. We were spoiled with Miller and McLeish which made Brian look more donkeyesque but for me, no contest, Anderson every time. You couldn't get any more out of Irvine. Russell in 2nd gear was still better. Problem was that he generally stayed in 2nd or 3rd gear but he never hit overdrive.

I think that's a little harsh on Russell. He was hardly a vocal captain, but in terms of bravery I don't think he can be faulted at all, particularly in relation to some of the other players from this glorious era.

Guest rocket debris

Irvine was absolutely shit hot in a good team.

Ando carried a shit team beyond its means.

Can't really take one or the other when we'd kill for either!

I could never describe someone who made so many basic mistakes as shit hot. I would never kill to have someone with such technical deficiencies in any team. His heart was awesome. I would kill to bottle this from him and inject it into the current mob.

Possibly harsh on RA and yes he was brave. Mind him nearly getting his head kicked off scoring at the Merkland end. But he wasn't ever hungry enough for me. He wasn't driven with passion and consequently did not have that extra yard or extra millisecond of anticipation. A great player who under the right man-manager could have been so much better.

Guest rocket debris

You don't need to preface that with "I don't think..." His words were clear and you interpreted them properly. When jute re-reads it, he will understand his mistake and your correction.

You don't need to preface that with "I don't think..." His words were clear and you interpreted them properly. When jute re-reads it, he will understand his mistake and your correction.

Likewise, you didn't need to correct my choice of wording. Like those who preface facts with either "virtually" or "literally". It's not gramatically correct, but who cares?!

Irvine was a poor player who managed to get into a great team.

Ifil and Considine are poor players who managed to get into a poor team.  Neither them or Diamond were as good as Irvine was IMHO.

In which case it's different shades of shite, so why bother?  I'd take Diamond ahead of Irvine, between Ifil, Considine and Irvine... I'd rather have none of them.

In the 1989/90 Dons side Irvine looked as though he was the winner of a "Play for the Dons" competition.  He was hugely out his depth.

Anderson far better player than Irvine. No arguement. However to suggest Ifil or Considine are better players than Irvine is stretching things a bit. No way either of them is good enough to play for their country. Irvine did.

Ah... the old "he played for Scotland, ergo he must be good" argument, which is a load of tosh, really, isn't it?

John McMaster, Frank McDougall, Brian Grant and Paul Mason. All more than good enough to play for their country at a given time. None of them did.

Tosh McKinlay, Kirk Broadfoot, Dave Bowman and Carlton Palmer. None of them good enough to play for their country at any given time. All of them did.

Paul Mason was a fantastic footballer, one of my all time favourites, but how on earth would he have got into the England team?

The England team that had Andy Sinton, Tony Daley, Geoff Thomas, Steve Froggatt and Carlton Palmer in it?  Seriously? Can you tell me how he shouldn't have got in the England team?

Irvine didn't just get in to the Scotland team, he got 30 caps, at a time when we had some half decent players.

30 caps? Really?