Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stewart McKimmie finally speaks some sense

McKimmie was a cracking player ... we've arguably not had a wing-back of his quality since he retired. But he thinks he's an Aberdeen Legend. Excuse me Stewart, but your hopes of becoming an Aberdeen Legend went right out the window when you stuck the fingers up at the South Stand fans.

McKimmie is an Aberdeen legend.  Two league titles, 3 Scottish Cups, 3 League Cups and a European Super Cup. If he's not a legend, then half the guys we think are Dons legends are nowhere near it.  He was a world class full back and the pish he speaks in the press and his giving the fingers to the South Stand changes none of that.  He shouldn't have done it and I'm sure he's not proud of it but we all make mistakes, I think McKimmie has done enough for this club to deserve forgiveness. 

I really don't understand some of the vitriol towards the guy, he was consistently one of our best players in some of our best ever sides, last captain to lift a trophy for us and always played for us with a passion that not one of our current players has. 

Scored a cracking goal that won Aberdeen the league.  But for some reason, some "fans" have forgotten about that, know what I mean?

Arseholes.

I genuinally did not know he'd done that  :-\

Due to my age, I only ever really caught the tail end of his career, when his ability seemed to be dipping off. Then he went and signed for one of our biggest rivals. I tend to think of him first as a crap journalist before the foolballer McKimmie.

That and his daughter once knocked me back at a party- didn't like that either.

I genuinally did not know he'd done that  :-\

Due to my age, I only ever really caught the tail end of his career, when his ability seemed to be dipping off. Then he went and signed for one of our biggest rivals. I tend to think of him first as a crap journalist before the foolballer McKimmie.

That and his daughter once knocked me back at a party- didn't like that either.

Really? Fucking hell, watch Team of the Decade Dave, min.

McKimmie was subject of a lot of transfer bids in his time at Pittodrie. Spurs wanted to sign him for £2m, Celtic wanted to sign him for £1m+ players, but he never really wanted to leave and the club never really wanted to let him go.  In 93/94, Dundee United bid for him and offered about £600k, the club agreed he could go.  When Willie Miller told him he could go, McKimmie begged him to let him stay to the point he was in tears. Miller told the board he wanted to keep McKimmie and he stayed.

It amazes me that people on these boards will excuse Darren Mackie playing like a spastic for ten years or Brian Irvine playing like a chest of drawers for all his career, but won't excuse McKimmie because he flicked the fingers at them once.  It really fucking saddens me to be honest.  I said earlier that he was a world class full back, and he was.  We couldn't dream of having a player like that in our team now, but it seems some folk are quite pleased about that.  He was easily the best right back on the British Isles in his time, and when he moved into sweeper behind big McLeish after Miller retired he excelled again to the point we almost - and should have - won the league.

The guy was an exceptional player and I refuse to bad mouth him, I agree "his" articles in the EE are a lot of shite, but I do not believe he has much of a say about them.  And even if he does, so what?  He played for us with a passion and an unbelievable amount of skill for years upon years.  He never gave less than was ever expected of him.  Absolutely great player for us, a legend beyond any question in my mind.

"That's into McKimmie with a shot and he's scored..."

McKimmie was subject of a lot of transfer bids in his time at Pittodrie. Spurs wanted to sign him for £2m, Celtic wanted to sign him for £1m+ players, but he never really wanted to leave and the club never really wanted to let him go.  In 93/94, Dundee United bid for him and offered about £600k, the club agreed he could go.  When Willie Miller told him he could go, McKimmie begged him to let him stay to the point he was in tears. Miller told the board he wanted to keep McKimmie and he stayed.

It amazes me that people on these boards will excuse Darren Mackie playing like a spastic for ten years or Brian Irvine playing like a chest of drawers for all his career, but won't excuse McKimmie because he flicked the fingers at them once.  It really fucking saddens me to be honest.  I said earlier that he was a world class full back, and he was.  We couldn't dream of having a player like that in our team now, but it seems some folk are quite pleased about that.  He was easily the best right back on the British Isles in his time, and when he moved into sweeper behind big McLeish after Miller retired he excelled again to the point we almost - and should have - won the league.

The guy was an exceptional player and I refuse to bad mouth him, I agree "his" articles in the EE are a lot of shite, but I do not believe he has much of a say about them.  And even if he does, so what?  He played for us with a passion and an unbelievable amount of skill for years upon years.  He never gave less than was ever expected of him.  Absolutely great player for us, a legend beyond any question in my mind.

great stuff BB. I don't know McKimmie. As Dave says, i'm a fan that can barely remember League Cup 1995, it's good to know we had some great players at some point.

Got all that BB, remember it all. Tremendous player. How that doesn't make him a tit for at very least allowing his name to be attached to some shocking journalism I don't know. 

Agree with a lot of the above, but I'd kill to have a Brian Irvine in our team at the moment.

And he scored against fucking Hearts

At both ends, in the same half of a match if I remember correctly.

He was a bloody good right back, it's understandable that some of the younger users will find it hard to imagine real quality players playing in a dons team, but once you've seen full backs like McKimmie (and Stewart Kennedy before him) it's hard to get excited about any of the dross we've had to endure since.

I have no gripe with McKmmie. Great player, great servant to the club, shite in the EE.

allowing his name to be attached to some shocking journalism

I think in November 2006 it went a little bit like this:

EE Hack: Stewart, we've got an article about Kirk Broadfoot here that we need you to put yer name to

McKimmie: Errrr, who?

Tomorrow's EE Sports Headline: McKimmie: Broadfoot for Scotland? I've never heard of him!

I remember the goal he Scored at Tynecastle to win the league.

Slotted into the position left by Kennedy no problem.

He was unlucky that we started going downhill when he was Captain and he took a lot of the blame. Sticking the fingers up at the crowd was not his best moment but he was hurting as much as the rest of us.

I remember the goal he Scored at Tynecastle to win the league.

Slotted into the position left by Kennedy no problem.

He was unlucky that we started going downhill when he was Captain and he took a lot of the blame. Sticking the fingers up at the crowd was not his best moment but he was hurting as much as the rest of us.

Exactly, another case though of football fans demonstrating what sensitive wee souls they are. Think it's ok to give players any sort of abuse they want, get a fraction of it back and the mock outrage comes out.