Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mulgrew reject contract offer .....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As all have said his set pieces will be a loss. Having seen some of Alukos free kicks in the under 20s world cup I would very much doubt he would be the answer. However if we cannot get in another player that is better than mulgrew in regards to his defending then we really need to take a long hard look at the state of scottish football in general as he is pretty woeful in that respect. In my opinion he would be a loss but not an irreplaceable one. It may even make some one else step up and start being a goal threat. I doubt it though.

Aluko, Fyvie, Miller....Bebo?

They're all shite at free kicks compared to Charles though.

Think his corner kicks are fairly good too. I think his overall game is pretty good in general and would be difficult to replace with our wage budget.

Correct.

Typical of our support to react in such dramatic fashion to a piece of possible news that was coming a mile away.

This is business, not emotion. Mulgrew and his agent will lever whatever they can to get the best for both parties and Aberdeen FC will barely figure in that discussion. As long as there are bigger clubs with fatter wallets we will suffer this problem, it shouldn't be a shock or a surprise.

The most damning aspect of this is the apparent distress that can be caused by the potential loss of an average player with very limited ability. Its like the Reda Johnson affair, he was nothing to get excited about but because we lost out on him so publicly he turned into the greatest player ever to shake his tail at the SPL. Now because Mulgrew turns down a contract he is the linch-pin of our entire team. He is a poor defender with an ability to hit a good dead ball....sometimes. If he couldn't deliver a decent ball into the box then he would be playing for Montrose.

I say ship him out and put a player on the park who has something to prove.

This has to be the most inevitable thing since seve. My guess fwiw - no one will pay a fee in Jan, the club will make him another offer even though they say they wont and he'll keep us guessing for months while he considers the pre con offers he gets. Another apathy inspiring chapter for the spl.

Mo Ross long term deal then?

@everyone - Why are you surprised that a player is waiting to explore his options before signing a contract?  It's perfectly understandable that he's probably looking for a move back down to England due to the wages on offer.

Mulgrew is owe Aberdeen nothing other than 100% commitment when he's representing the club; whether that's on the pitch on a Saturday, in training during the week or at a press conference.  Beyond that he's his own man and will live and die by his choices.

He's exposed to the club on a day to day basis and will have a better idea of where the club is at and where it's going.  Whatever choice he makes he'll think it's the right one, and if it simply comes down to increasing his salary by three or four times than it's perfectly understandable. 

There's not really much we can offer right now bar an improved contract as it's looking unlikely that we'll finish in the top four this year and have very little chance of winning a trophy if we're being honest.  And before anyone pipes up with the possible lure of European football, get real.  Do you think he'll have enjoyed being spanked by Sigma Olomouc this year?

Aberdeen FC were here before Mulgrew and they'll be here after his departure.  Whatever his choice, best of luck.

I always got frustrated with Hart for those very reasons.

Stand by what I said earlier, think Mulgrew's general crossing is decent, whether that be in play or corner kicks. You can't realistically expect every corner kick to lead to a goal or a chance otherwise he wouldn't be playing for AFC.

I presume you mean Harts general crossing, I do remember one game inparticular at Dundee Utd where Hart was given so much space and couldn't cross worth a feck. That said don't mind him taking corners much?

Stand by what I said earlier, think Mulgrew's general crossing is decent, whether that be in play or corner kicks. You can't realistically expect every corner kick to lead to a goal or a chance otherwise he wouldn't be playing for AFC.

No I don't. The vast majority of Mulgrew's corners are awful.

• 2 months later...
Mulgrew hasn’t ruled out staying at Aberdeen FC

Defender pondering his future

By Ross McTavish

Published: 27/01/2010

CHARLIE Mulgrew today insisted there is “every chance†he will sign a new Aberdeen FC deal.

The defender gave Aberdeen FC a big boost ahead of tonight’s SPL clash at Hearts by stating he remains open to staying at Pittodrie.

Mulgrew’s current contract expires at the end of this season and he is yet to decide where his future lies.

Talks between the player and the club are continuing.

But Mulgrew claimed he will not be rushed into making his mind up.

He said: “There is every chance I can stay here."

With Derek Young's pinpoint freekicks who needs a Mulgrew?  8)

At the game, the first free kick opportunity saw Mulgrew, Miller and Young step up to it and Miller dummied with Mulgrew hitting it. The next one, same players but Young dummied and Miller hit it and got closer than Mulgrew. We were chatting late on saying the next one had to be Young's turn and he would hit the net. It was hilarious to see it sneak in, I think Miller fooled the keeper as he looked like he was going to get a glancing header on it.