Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: McGhee praise for versatile Foster

McGhee praise for versatile Foster

PACY FULL BACK DOING A STAND-OUT JOB AS TEMPORARY CENTRE BACK AS DONS INJURY LIST GROWS

By Michael Gannon

Published: 01/10/2009

Aberdeen defender Richard Foster has been asked to curtail his attacking instincts, but his manager Mark McGhee believes the 23-year-old is proving to be a far greater asset to his team in defence.

Foster’s versatility has been a vital component as Aberdeen recovered from the goal avalanche suffered against Sigma Olomouc and Celtic to collect five consecutive clean sheets in the SPL, making the League Cup defeat at Dundee even more painful.

While the Dons’ youngsters such as Fraser Fyvie and Peter Pawlett were lauded for their display in last Saturday’s spirited goalless draw against Rangers at Ibrox, Foster’s influential display almost went unheralded.

The full back was forced to operate as a stand-in centre back once more, as he was on occasions last season, and did not fail in his task as he repelled the mounting late threat of the Light Blues in Govan.

At just 5ft 9in and the owner of tremendous pace, the positional switch to the centre of defence will never be permanent, but McGhee is reaping the benefit of Foster’s change in attitude and discipline.

The defender was involved in several run-ins with McGhee’s predecessor Jimmy Calderwood, but he has adapted this season, to whatever asked, with the minimum of fuss.

With centre backs Zander Diamond and Jerel Ifil absent through injury, Foster may be required to fulfil the role at Kilmarnock on Saturday.

Foster is one of a number of Dons players who are out of contract next summer and have been challenged by their manager to win new deals.

He is certainly going the right way about it and McGhee said: “Richard sees himself as an attacking player and he likes to use his pace to get forward.

“I actually think his best qualities are in defence, and he showed that at Ibrox and in most of the games so far.

“We have asked him to adapt his game a bit, but he has shown he is willing to do it. He played half a dozen games at centre half under Jimmy last season and it showed he had played there before.

“He knows how to defend and he is an option for Saturday, although I am not set in my mind he will playing there.â€

While Aberdeen have been blighted by injuries, Kilmarnock could be boosted by the return of influential midfielder Craig Bryson.

The 22-year-old missed last weekend’s 0-0 draw against Falkirk with a groin injury but he emerged unscathed from yesterday’s closed-doors match against Rangers, where he scored in a 3-3 draw. He is now set to return to face the Dons but Saturday’s match will come too soon for long-term injury absentees Allan Russell, Jamie Adams and James Fowler.

Hopefully he does a job for us again on Sat. Played well against the Hunnery and I don't see any available copmetition for that spot.

Well maybe when he gets some backing from the board to buy in better players, ersonally always been a fan of Ricky "Cafu" Foster, glad his manager gives him some praise now rather than slate him when he misplaces a pass.

:lolabove:

Any more players you want to exclude from "Jimmy's dross" because with your backtracking and excuses your beginning to type your way out of your arguments as to why JMG.

I have always been a foster fan though, you'll fidn that I have given him MOTM a few times when others have thought he was shit, also why would I need to post why JMG?  he has been gone for a few month now and still not in a job, OH HOW FUCKING GREAT HE IS.

I have always been a foster fan though, you'll fidn that I have given him MOTM a few times when others have thought he was shit, also why would I need to post why JMG?  he has been gone for a few month now and still not in a job, OH HOW FUCKING GREAT HE IS.

If I handed you 3 years wages, would you then go get a job the next day or wait for one you reelly wanted came along?

If I handed you 3 years wages, would you then go get a job the next day or wait for one you reelly wanted came along?

Calderwood wasn't handed 3 years wages, far from it, also if he was that great a manager why was he not linked with the Celtic job when, McGhee and Levein who both finsihed below him were?

Agreed, Bobby. Yes he got us into Europe (twice), achieved some memorable wins, steered the club back to a position of respectability and credibility (esp vs Rangers and Celtic) and brought about a general stabiliity at the club that's been lacking for many many years.

But his managerial form with the Dons was just too extreme from week-to-week. I mean, humping Copenhagen ... or being humped by QotS. I felt his time was up in January 2008. He'd lost interest in the Dons back then, it was obvious on his face, in his expressions, in the way he carried himself in interviews and at the side of the pitch. He should've gone out on a high back then. Instead we stupidly gave him another 3 year contract. Three additional years in a job you really don't want to be in? Nah, it was set up for failure on our behalf. Meanwhile he doesn't need to do any work in football for a while, cos we've paid him and Jimmy Nicholl a handsome payout fee to sever the contract.

Stop twisting things you know perfectly well my feelings on Calderwood. Just a shame you can't be objective and have an individual opinion. Slagging off players like Mackie and Foster suited "your" opinions when you had your little teddy bears picnic outside the main stand, now McGhee is backing these same players those opinions of "yours" have surprisingly changed (well I say surprisingly what I mean is predictably).

Calderwood wasn't handed 3 years wages, far from it, also if he was that great a manager why was he not linked with the Celtic job when, McGhee and Levein who both finsihed below him were?

Why would Jimmy "FAT ORANGE HUN" Calderwood be considered for the Celtic job??

Jesus H Christ you really are terminally stupid.