Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Willie Miller on Closure of Transfer Window

I agree - thats all i wanted from Calderwood, Lets see if our youngstars are any good rather than watch pish like mair. Already looking like a positive start from Mcghee which will no doubt motivate the guys in the under 19's they might sit up and see Fyvie getting a shout and think to themselves, maybe if i work hard i might get a chance too.

Im genuinly excited about this season - looks like we are going to play our best team and not stick with the favorites when we know they arnt up to scratch.

Everyone seems to be completely ignoring the fact that Calderwood had said on more than one occasion in the last quarter of last season that he was going to play Paton and Pawlett this season as he wanted to see more youth in the team. It's not some revolutionary thing that McGhee has introduced.  ::)

Foster hasnt done anything wrong under Mcghee and Mackie has also been on his best behaviour.

If someone hasnt been playing well they have been dropped / subbed.

I'm happy to have them in the team as I don't particuarly rate some of the alternatives, but there will be others who hoped both would have been shown the door under McGhee.

Calderwood said a lot of things................ Most of it was shite. He was too scared to gamble with them.

I dont think either of them would have played more than 5 games each from the start, and you wouldnt have seen crawford or fyvie in the first team, thats for sure.

Calderwood said a lot of things................ Most of it was shite. He was too scared to gamble with them.

I dont think either of them would have played more than 5 games each from the start, and you wouldnt have seen crawford or fyvie in the first team, thats for sure.

And so has McGhee, infact McGhee has talked more embarrassing shite in his few months here than JC managed in a whole season. Managers tend to do that though.

If JC was faced with the same issues McGhee had then I'm fairly sure we would have seen similar players brought into the starting XI. He wasn't scared to gamble when he brought Paton on against Rangers was he?

Anyway, we need to see performances from these kids because they don't have a choice anymore.

And so has McGhee, infact McGhee has talked more embarrassing shite in his few months here than JC managed in a whole season. Managers tend to do that though.

Its never bothered me what Calderwood and now McGhee allegedly say in the press, its on the football pitch that matters.  People get far too hung up on so-called shite getting spouted in the papers, whereas its generally the papers to blame for spinning and misquoting managers.  People used to have a right go at JC for nonsense in the press, and McGhee is now experiencing the same.  I blame the press, and the mugs that make a big deal out of it for their own agendas!

Its never bothered me what Calderwood and now McGhee allegedly say in the press, its on the football pitch that matters.  People get far too hung up on so-called shite getting spouted in the papers, whereas its generally the papers to blame for spinning and misquoting managers.  People used to have a right go at JC for nonsense in the press, and McGhee is now experiencing the same.  I blame the press, and the mugs that make a big deal out of it for their own agendas!

I've personally got no agenda re McGhee, but I find his interviews to be clumsy as fuck, it seems as if he hasn't been briefed on what he's going to be asked and just blurts out the first thing that comes across his mind. Most of the stuff in the papers is exactly what he's said in his interviews as well.

If JC was faced with the same issues McGhee had then I'm fairly sure we would have seen similar players brought into the starting XI. He wasn't scared to gamble when he brought Paton on against Rangers was he?

Anyway, we need to see performances from these kids because they don't have a choice anymore.

More embarassing than big kyle big lee or wee barry. Or how SCHLOPPY we were?

Its fairly easy to gamble when you are getting hosed away from home, why didnt he go with paton in some of the home games? because he was scared too, only time we would have seen these guys play is when the game was already decided.

I would agree that McGhee comes across far better than Jimmy when talking to the media, you feel he's being genuine and honest, while Calderwood was always recycling the same old cliches.

And I'd also agree that Jimmy generally stuck with a the same old regulars on the park, but I refuse to be critical of that because he got us into a respectable league positions time and time again.

Like Padre says, MM has been forced to blood these youngsters due to circumstances not because he has a revolutionary vision for the future of AFC. It will be absolutely brilliant if these kids can do the business for us, there are signs already that we have some quality youth players at Pittodrie.

More embarassing than big kyle big lee or wee barry. Or how SCHLOPPY we were?

Its fairly easy to gamble when you are getting hosed away from home, why didnt he go with paton in some of the home games? because he was scared too, only time we would have seen these guys play is when the game was already decided.

I never found that embarrassing at all, unfortunately everyone in football is "big blah de blah" or "Wee yadd yadda". That was the weakest excuse that the people who hated jimmy had for wanting rid of him when they basically just hated that he was a hun. That's a totally different discussion that's been done to death though.

Do you really think if McGhee could get in the 'experienced' players he wanted that the youngsters would be so prominent in the team? Would Fyvie have had a sniff at the first team if Hughes had signed on? Absolutely not. Stop living in a fantasy world Stoney.

Incidentally, McGhee has barely let Paton cross the touchline so far.

That is also a weak excuse to suggest people disliked calderwood for being a hun is pathetic, there were too many reasons to hate calderwood - that was just one of them.

I didint hate calderwood i just thought he was a shite manager.

Well duff, young and maguire were all left on the bench in favour of Fyvie at hamilton so yes i do believe if Mcghee thought he was good enough he would have played.

Incidently during Calderwoods time at Aberdeen Paton played a combined total of 81 mins of first team football, already under Mcghee he was played 108 mins  :lolabove: :lolabove:, so to say calderwood was pitching him for first team football this season is total shite.

Lets not let facts get in the way of things though :)

That is also a weak excuse to suggest people disliked calderwood for being a hun is pathetic, there were too many reasons to hate calderwood - that was just one of them.

I didint hate calderwood i just thought he was a shite manager.

Well duff, young and maguire were all left on the bench in favour of Fyvie at hamilton so yes i do believe if Mcghee thought he was good enough he would have played.

Incidently during Calderwoods time at Aberdeen Paton played a combined total of 81 mins of first team football, already under Mcghee he was played 108 mins  :lolabove: :lolabove:, so to say calderwood was pitching him for first team football this season is total shite.

Lets not let facts get in the way of things though :)

108 mins including friendly games.  ::)

If he wasn't hated for being a hun then why was it deemed so offensive that he referred to rangers players in such a friendly manner? Why was there regular shouts of "fuck off you fat hun bastard" from the stands?

I like how you totally pocket yourself at the end there by stating speculation as fact. Nice one  :lolabove:

Nope 18 mins against sigma, 2nd half against celtic and 44 against motherwell

Because we are aberdeen fans we dont want to hear shite about how unlucky big kyle was or how wee barry changed the game, and you also have no evidance to back this up. To suggest calderwood was hated for being a hun was shite, he was warmly accepted by our fans for the first couple of seasons.

He was hated for a clown.

Nope 18 mins against sigma, 2nd half against celtic and 44 against motherwell

Because we are aberdeen fans we dont want to hear shite about how unlucky big kyle was or how wee barry changed the game, and you also have no evidance to back this up. To suggest calderwood was hated for being a hun was shite, he was warmly accepted by our fans for the first couple of seasons.

He was hated for a clown.

Fair enough re Paton (although he was only on for half an hour against Celtic  ;) ), but Calderwood had stated this was the year for these players to breakthrough and I have no doubts he was going to introduce these boys more regularly.

No evidence to back what up?

He was accepted for the first couple of seasons but people eventually started showing their true colours and were regularly spouting bile at him for being who/what he was. You probably couldn't hear that while you were in the pub watching Man U though.  :wave:

Fair enough re Paton (although he was only on for half an hour against Celtic  ;) ), but Calderwood had stated this was the year for these players to breakthrough and I have no doubts he was going to introduce these boys more regularly.

No evidence to back what up?

He was accepted for the first couple of seasons but people eventually started showing their true colours and were regularly spouting bile at him for being who/what he was. You probably couldn't hear that while you were in the pub watching Man U though.  :wave:

He came on at half time dude :) he also said that the season before about Maguire and Sammy stewart and Maguire was only ever really used as a sub or if someone was injured. when he did play he was used in midfield - which was a waste of time :)

That people hated Calderwood for being a hun, that is your opinion.

Yes that is correct when he started pricking about with the team, formation and we got bored of hearing the same excuses week after week. Im willing to bet that we never see such negativity from Mcghee. In the press or the way he picks the team, he is also willing to accept his share of the blame when things go wrong, another reason why calderwood was so widely disliked!

Didnt realize sky broadcasted games at 3pm on a saturday, if you had trotted out funsters "surprised you could see that from Inverurie" then maybe you would have had something :)

He came on at half time dude :) he also said that the season before about Maguire and Sammy stewart and Maguire was only ever really used as a sub or if someone was injured. when he did play he was used in midfield - which was a waste of time :)

That people hated Calderwood for being a hun, that is your opinion.

Yes that is correct when he started pricking about with the team, formation and we got bored of hearing the same excuses week after week. Im willing to bet that we never see such negativity from Mcghee. In the press or the way he picks the team, he is also willing to accept his share of the blame when things go wrong, another reason why calderwood was so widely disliked!

Didnt realize sky broadcasted games at 3pm on a saturday, if you had trotted out funsters "surprised you could see that from Inverurie" then maybe you would have had something :)

Those are reasons that people should and did hate Jimmy, but it was vocalised like this - "FUCK OFF MIN YA DORTY ORINJ BASTIRT!"

I've got no idea what time Sky show games at, I never watch it.

Incidentally -

Aberdeen continued to be pinned back and Paton replaced Maguire in the 55th minute before Fortune headed inches wide a minute later

So we were both wrong.

The truth is that McGhee will be measured not by what he says in the media, and not by the international or 'top quality' players that he tried to sign but by what the current team achieves on the pitch.

So far, we've had a fairly embarrassing Europa cup exit and a start probably no better than JC ever managed in his time. He has it all to do now.

McGhee has got to deliver results in the cups (i.e. QF, SF or Final) and ensure we don't go out in an embarrassing way like we did so many times under Calderwood. He also has to be challenging for a Europa spot next season if we are to progress from what JC did.

Not easy given the constraints in finances at the moment. Just like under JC I could not give a fuck what he says or does not say in the media.

The truth is that McGhee will be measured not by what he says in the media, and not by the international or 'top quality' players that he tried to sign but by what the current team achieves on the pitch.

So far, we've had a fairly embarrassing Europa cup exit and a start probably no better than JC ever managed in his time. He has it all to do now.

McGhee has got to deliver results in the cups (i.e. QF, SF or Final) and ensure we don't go out in an embarrassing way like we did so many times under Calderwood. He also has to be challenging for a Europa spot next season if we are to progress from what JC did.

Not easy given the constraints in finances at the moment. Just like under JC I could not give a fuck what he says or does not say in the media.

:clap:

Spot on, especially the last sentence.

:clap: have een of that +1 thingies