Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Willie Miller on Closure of Transfer Window

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1785289,00.html

ABERDEEN Director of Football Willie Miller this morning (Wednesday, 2 Sep) spoke to RedWeb after the close of the summer transfer window. He said: "Mark has added three players to his first team squad this summer taking the total number in the squad to 25.

"At the end of last season we lost three players (Severin, Smith and Mair). But, as everyone knows, Jamie Smith didn't play a big part in his final season due to injury, and was hampered throughout much of his time here.

"Mark was keen to add one more player before the close of the transfer window but the majority of the deals on offer were for young players on loan. He felt this would be counterproductive to the progress of the crop of talented youngsters already here.

While conceding that substantial resources must continue to be ploughed into that youthful conveyor belt, Willie also appreciates there must be a backbone of experience in the squad to guide them. "Mark has brought in Stuart Nelson, Jerel Ifil and Davide Grassi and, along with Scott, he will need time to stamp his own personality on the new players, the squad he has inherited and of course, the younger ones coming through.

"The addition of the three players will bolster the first team squad for the season ahead. But possibly more exciting is the emergence of Peter Pawlett, Michael Paton, Fraser Fyvie and Jonathan Crawford - not forgetting Chris Maguire.

"Add to that, Mitch Megginson came on in the Czech Republic while Scott Ross, Hallur Hansson, Rogvi Holm and Stirling Smith have all been on the bench this season. That has been a huge boost and all very much in line with the plans laid down five years ago.

"These young players will be the back bone of the first team squad going forward. And coming in behind them we have an abundance of top quality youth internationals as well.

First Team Squad

Langfield

Nelson

Bateman

Foster

Crawford

Holm

Diamond

Ifil

Considine

Grassi

Mulgrew

S. Smith

Duff

Pawlett

Young

McDonald

Stewart

Fyvie

Kerr

Aluko

Paton

Maguire

Wright

Mackie

Miller

Total: 25

Under 19 Squad

Bain

Lukasik

Davidson

Dunlop

Ross

Shaughnessy

Robertson

Jarvis

McRobbie

Masson

Clark

Jack

Devaney

Brown

Hannson

Low

Megginson

Gibson

Bolger

Sorensen

Total: 20

Total AFC Professional Squad: 45

Youth Internationals

Sone Aluko (Nigeria)

Anthony Bolger (Republic of Ireland)

Jonathan Crawford (Scotland)

Fraser Fyvie (Scotland)

Hallur Hansson (Faroe Islands)

Rogvi Holm (Faroe Islands)

Ryan Jack (Scotland)

Dean Jarvis (Northern Ireland)

Nicky Low (Scotland)

Przemyslaw Lukasik (Poland)

Chris Maguire (Scotland)

Callum McRobbie (Scotland)

Mitchel Megginson (Scotland)

Gilli Sorensen (Faroe Islands)

Samuel Stewart (Northern Ireland)

Total Internationals: 15

To be fair while I would have liked to see another new face, presumably the types of players we were able to attract/afford would not have been a "marquee" signing. Therefore, as Willie says, with the likes of Fyvie, Crawford, Patton and Pawlett breaking through in the last few months another average signing would only serve to limit their time on the pitch. Thus hampering their development, something that Jimmy was lambasted for doing. In a way it is a positive move from the club.

At the end of last season we lost three players (Severin, Smith and Mair).

Since last season we have lost Vidal, Hodgekiss, Bossu and JDV, as well as Severin, Smith and Mair. So Willie, you're talking shite.

We've replaced 6 outfield players with 2. It doesn't fucking add up and I'm not happy about it.  Again I'm looking at things down Tannadice way and I'm seeing a quality striker and a quality defender added to the squad - with instant results. United fans have reason to be optomistic and excited about the new season, we have neither as far as I can see.

>:(

Since last season we have lost Vidal, Hodgekiss, Bossu and JDV, as well as Severin, Smith and Mair. So Willie, you're talking shite.

We've replaced 6 outfield players with 2. It doesn't fucking add up and I'm not happy about it.  Again I'm looking at things down Tannadice way and I'm seeing a quality striker and a quality defender added to the squad - with instant results. United fans have reason to be optomistic and excited about the new season, we have neither as far as I can see.

His spin doctor abilities are improving on a monthly basis. Its a load of crap but hell, if we're getting players like Fyvie, Paton and Pawlett breaking through and actually making an impact on the first team I'm happy. I still am unhappy though that we did not sort out our entire right hand side.  >:(

I guess, by the end of August, all that we could have afforded to bring in permanently would have been shite. In that sense I'd rather have no signings than shite signings. I also agree with the loan argument to a certain extent, why develop other team's young players when you can develop your own after all, but at the same time even kids from England such as Walker and Aluko were a clear improvement to the squad. Ultimately, Miller can throw in as many positive buzzwords as he wants but this summer has been a recruitment failure. 

As someone mentioned on here before, these youngsters are gonna be on a pretty steep learning curve this season if we're relying upon them this much.

Guest fatshaft

To be fair while I would have liked to see another new face, presumably the types of players we were able to attract/afford would not have been a "marquee" signing. Therefore, as Willie says, with the likes of Fyvie, Crawford, Patton and Pawlett breaking through in the last few months another average signing would only serve to limit their time on the pitch. Thus hampering their development, something that Jimmy was lambasted for doing. In a way it is a positive move from the club.

I would agree with that.  :thumbsup:

Giving youth a chance is great, I'm all for it. But we're only a couple of injuries away from disaster here. If we play 16/17 year olds at Ibrox and Parkhead and end up on the wrong end of a 5-0 thumping, that's a very damaging experience for a young player.  The squad looks terrible, even our battle hardened veterans (Miller, Kerr etc) don't look up for the fight.

No panic to sign players for Aberdeen FC

McGhee will wait until next season

By Sean Wallace

Published: 02/09/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today conceded defeat in his bid to bring in any more new players to Pittodrie.

However, McGhee promised fans there will be new signings, but only in January on pre-season agreements.

That would mean they cannot play for Aberdeen FC until next season.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

No quotes as usual, unless there's any in the paper itself.

Vidal was Hodgkiss' replacement though so it's a bit stupid counting them as 2 players lost.

Bossu, Vidal, Smith, Severin, JDV and Mair out

Nelson, Crawford, Pawlett, Fyvie, Grassi and Ifil in.

Giving youth a chance is great, I'm all for it. But we're only a couple of injuries away from disaster here. If we play 16/17 year olds at Ibrox and Parkhead and end up on the wrong end of a 5-0 thumping, that's a very damaging experience for a young player.  The squad looks terrible, even our battle hardened veterans (Miller, Kerr etc) don't look up for the fight.

Last time we did that we won 2-1

So clearly McGhee's choice.

I don't mind. I'd rather see Pawlett, Fyvie and Paton play than some mercenary like Ricketts.

Let's see if McGhee can really get more out of the squad with better "coaching, a settled formation, and no tombola".

If thats true why was McGhee in the paper all last week and this talking about getting two new players in by the deadline.

Also like the way they list a first team of squad of 25 but list in it a keeper who is out on loan so not available and 5 players who are still eligble for U19 team. In reality first team squad is 19 players including two keepers. We better not pick up any long term injuries or it could be a long season.

When does Aluko head off to U20 world cup? Also is there a African Nations this year? Could lose him for up to three months this year so as good as a long term injury already to our only creative player.

So before the transfer window closed the club were concerned about the lack of depth in the squad and that funds would be available to sign 3 or so new players to appease the support. Quote: "possibly a striker and a right mid"

Suddenly once the transfer window closes, fuck all has been spent and we're told that the squad is big enough as it is. I'll give you Ifil because we've never really replaced Anderson. Nelson doesn't count as its a direct replacement for Bossu and Grassi is only a youngster himself.

I'm with Cts on this one, it just doesn't add up. It wouldn't be so bad if he'd said at the outset: "look guys, tough year credit crunch and all that so we're going to have to keep our pennies in our pocket and promote all the young lads to the first team for a season or so".

If thats true why was McGhee in the paper all last week and this talking about getting two new players in by the deadline.

Mark was keen to add one more player before the close of the transfer window but the majority of the deals on offer were for young players on loan. He felt this would be counterproductive to the progress of the crop of talented youngsters already here.

U20 World Cup runs from 21st Sept to 16th Oct so i imagine he'll be gone after the Falkirk game.

There is an Afircan Nations Cup this season but I dont think Aluko will get picked unless he really impresses in the U20 WC.

We better hope he does not impress then as we cannot afford for him to be away.

I'm all for bringing in the youth to the team but before the window closed we needed a couple of players. yet now its closed we are just fine the way we are!

i wish they'd stop waffling shite and treating us like idiots!

still, i'm a sheepshagger through and through

'MON THE DON'S

:AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2: :AFC2:

It's not the clubs fault if you believe the crap the EE prints.

Sure they sometimes have quotes, but the quotes rarely match the headline/main point of the story.

McGhee has repeatedly said in interviews that players were going to be signed.  He also admitted players were needed to strengthen the squad.  I'm not blaming MM for this, I pity him. He's probably been fooled by Willie Miller's bullshit just like the rest of us.

Listening to McGhee today he was clearly frustrated by two things:

1. He cannot get the players in he would like to due to financial constraints

2. Fans/media/all other critics are not getting the message that there is no money to spend

Its a simple message.

Granted it gets clouded by press speculation and some inconsistent commentary from the club. However, with only a modicum of brain space you should be able to work it out for yourself.

It makes perfect sense to me that we tried to sign a host of players but at the end of the day if they are not going to ADD VALUE to our squad I am delighted we are not signing them.

Its comical to hear our support react to the varying phases of our transfer dealings at times.

1. Club announces a player we are looking at - flurry of comments ripping his stats to bits, endless expert opinions about how he is not the type of player we need, claiming he is no better than the shite we already have etc etc etc.

2. Club announce we missed out on a player - suddenly he was the greatest thing to grace a football field in the French 3rd tier and we were incompetent fools to have lost out on him.

3. Club announce the player is signing - flurry of excitement because we signed a player, endless comments building him up to levels of unrealistic expectation.

Listening to McGhee today he was clearly frustrated by two things:

1. He cannot get the players in he would like to due to financial constraints

2. Fans/media/all other critics are not getting the message that there is no money to spend

Its a simple message.

Granted it gets clouded by press speculation and some inconsistent commentary from the club. However, with only a modicum of brain space you should be able to work it out for yourself.

It makes perfect sense to me that we tried to sign a host of players but at the end of the day if they are not going to ADD VALUE to our squad I am delighted we are not signing them.

Its comical to hear our support react to the varying phases of our transfer dealings at times.

1. Club announces a player we are looking at - flurry of comments ripping his stats to bits, endless expert opinions about how he is not the type of player we need, claiming he is no better than the shite we already have etc etc etc.

2. Club announce we missed out on a player - suddenly he was the greatest thing to grace a football field in the French 3rd tier and we were incompetent fools to have lost out on him.

3. Club announce the player is signing - flurry of excitement because we signed a player, endless comments building him up to levels of unrealistic expectation.

Are you suggesting Ifil is anything less than godlike? 2rnx6jd.gif

I think we're going to pleasantly surprised when Pawlett and Paton step up to the plate and show us what they can really do. 33u4mc9.gif

Hate to say it, but those two are probably our most profitable assets at the moment. Depending on how they go in the first half of this season, I wouldn't put it past us selling the pair of them for a very tidy profit in January. Anyone know what sort of contracts they're both on?

Hate to say it, but those two are probably our most profitable assets at the moment. Depending on how they go in the first half of this season, I wouldn't put it past us selling the pair of them for a very tidy profit in January. Anyone know what sort of contracts they're both on?

Vaguely remember reading that Pawlett signed a new two year deal last season sometime. No idea when Patons deal expires. Might even be at the end of this season along with Crawfords.

So clearly McGhee's choice.

I don't mind. I'd rather see Pawlett, Fyvie and Paton play than some mercenary like Ricketts.

Let's see if McGhee can really get more out of the squad with better "coaching, a settled formation, and no tombola".

I agree - thats all i wanted from Calderwood, Lets see if our youngstars are any good rather than watch pish like mair. Already looking like a positive start from Mcghee which will no doubt motivate the guys in the under 19's they might sit up and see Fyvie getting a shout and think to themselves, maybe if i work hard i might get a chance too.

Im genuinly excited about this season - looks like we are going to play our best team and not stick with the favorites when we know they arnt up to scratch.