Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mark Kerr = New Captain

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1753018,00.html

Aberdeen Football Club are delighted to announce that Mark Kerr has today (Thursday, 13 August) been named as the new club captain.

The 27 year old midfielder has been an ever present in the Dons starting lineup since moving to Pittodrie from Dundee United last summer.

Mark spoke to RedWeb this morning and admitted he was honoured to have been handed the armband for the season ahead.

"I'm delighted to be given the opportunity to captain Aberdeen," said Kerr.

"I'm confident I can do a good job without having to change my game too much."

This will be the former Scotland B internationalists first season as a club captain, and he is enthused by the challenge facing himfor the coming campaign.

"I skippered some of my previous clubs on the odd occasion and I really enjoyed it, but to be the club captain of Aberdeen is great.

"I know what it means to skipper this club and what this club means to its tremendous supporters.

After beginning his career with Falkirk, the former Scotland B international then moved to Tannadice in 2003, before joining Aberdeen for the start of the 2008-09 season.

The chance to wear the armband during pre season allowed him the opportunity to test himself in the role and Kerr feels he is up to the challenge.

"There is a lot of responsibility on my shoulders, not only on the park but off the park as well, but I feel I am up to the task.

"I'm out there as a leader on the pitch, but I don't think you need to shout and ball and make a show of things for everybody as a captain. I'm part of the team, and I'll try to use my experience to help the boys as much as I can and hopefully bring them together for a successful season."

Mark will wear the armband against Celtic on Saturday for the opening Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League match of the 2009-10 season.

RedWeb wishes Mark all the best in his new role at the club.

To hear a full RedTV interview with the new Dons skipper click here.

Meanwhile Rohan Ricketts, Craig Rocastle, Mazim Ahmad and Idrissa Alassane have now left the club after their trial period ended.

The 27 year old midfielder has been an ever present in the Dons starting lineup since moving to Pittodrie from Dundee United last summer.

:-\

Apart from when he was hospitalised after a fight on Belmont St a few days before one of the biggest games of the season.

Good appointment though!

He was captain for both europa ties so it was gonna be him

Well shoudn't be too hard to be a better one than seve

Not overly impressed we have gone with the guy who let us down before a big game last season he should have had to work his socks off to get some respect back first in my opinion   

My thoughts exactly. Prior to those events I wouldn't have battered an eyelid at him being named captain. I'm not so sure now though. We'll have to see I guess  :-\

He was captain for both europa ties so it was gonna be him

Well shoudn't be too hard to be a better one than seve

Not overly impressed we have gone with the guy who let us down before a big game last season he should have had to work his socks off to get some respect back first in my opinion 

My thoughts exactly. Prior to those events I wouldn't have battered an eyelid at him being named captain. I'm not so sure now though. We'll have to see I guess  :-\

:lolabove: Oh the ironing!!

I was all for Kerr getting it before he turned into a raging bampot, i think it should have gone to McDonald or Zander.

It's a choice, whether it turns out to be a good one remains to be seen.

Of the three most likely candidates: Diamond, McDonald and Kerr I think he's picked the worst in terms of captain material.  :-\

spot on marky, the 1st sigma game exposed his lack of leadership and ability to muster a fight in the team. no fight puns intended

I think Zander was a more obvious choice, could this mean he's off?  ::)

Fraid it would be my guess. If I was him and not picked, I'd be wondering if the club really wanted him.

Zander should have been chosen over Kerr for his performances for Aberdeen over the last few years.

How many goals has Kerr scored for the Dons v Diamond? Anyone tell me?

Kerr is the best choice as he has a point to prove

I agree. Maybe this decision has more to do with the positives McGhee sees in having Kerr as captain, rather than the negatives he sees in having Diamond as captain.

We know what we get from Diamond, and don't get me wrong here because I think he's a star, but maybe a player needs more than just enthusiasm to be a good captain. Diamond will still be very influential on the park, especially to the defenders around him.

McGhee must think the armband will help Kerr, maybe by focusing his mind on the job rather than any nonsense. I have to say I agree, and I trust his decision.

Mark Kerr could be a huge player for us this season.