Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Anderson signs for Sunderland -

Guest innesciver

I have to add, I do not begrudge Russell this move.  I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.  He has been an excellent player for us and I wish him luck.  Still totally gutted though!

Guest Donofthered

Gutted as well, £1 million is not great but its better than nothing and at least he didn't go to one of the bigot brothers.

:(

Wander what the odds are of him walking straight into the Scotland team now?

well, a million quid is a million quid.

don't think our problems lie in defence - jackie mac and lee mair have been signed, zander looks like he's on the way back and a fit touzani is like scoring a new player.

we need to spend some dosh to source a new goalkeeper tho. we'll do nothing next season with that puddin' langfield or soapy between the sticks.

So much for this being a sudden thing this has obviously been lined up for a good few weeks now and JC is blatantly telling lies to the fans in this mornings P & J

This is very true - it just stinks of keeping the fans in the dark so they keep buying season tickets!

I'm gutted he's away, but really the writing was on the wall when we signed 2 defenders & re-signed Touzani that we were gonna be losing at least one defender. Has to be said that I thought it'd be Hart that would be offski mind you.

Don't get me wrong £1million is not as much as we'd all hope for, but at the end of the day we need to get back into the position where we're punting a player for a large fee every season or so. That million quid will go to balancing the books & keeping other players here on improved money (last decent fee I can remember was for either Glass or Hignett- we can't afford that to be the case again!). Even in our hey-day we punted one of our "stars" every so often... that's how clubs like ours survive.

Anderson has certainly been our most consistent player for a season or so, but I honestly feel that we're in a stronger position now to withstand his loss than say a year or so back. I don't grudge Ando his move, and indeed one could argue that we could've lost him for sweet fa this time next year... and the other plus is that at least we haven't lost him to one of our rivals.

Good luck to the boy, but fingers crossed this means we don't have to sell anyone else. I'm still confident that we can have another good season next year. I'll be interested to see how he gets on in the Premiership & hopefully he can establish himself in the Scotland side

Guest StuSimmy

I am totally gutted about this as well but all the best to him and hopefully one day he will back in a Dons shirt. Hope he gets a game for Sunderland and I hope he copes well in the Premiersip.

:(

Totally gutted but if there was anyone deserving of this it was Russel. Good luck, never liked sunderland but now I shall wish them the best while he's there.  :thumbsup: We all knew it was going to happen but i think we all hoped that it wasn't him that was going.

Guest Johnny Mac

Good luck to Russell. Good payday for him at least.

Can't see Sunderland doing very well though, but i guess he's not quite the standard for one of the bigger teams. Hopefully this will see him back in the Scotland squad.

He'll be back to the Dons later in his career.

And I heard he donated his fee to the Dons for youth development at todders.

As long as we don't hear noises from Pittodrie along the following lines:

"Oh, we battled to keep him" .... "we fought to get a good fee for him"...

If the club wanted to keep him they would have offered him a new deal. End fucking of.

As for offering his signing on fee to youth development: what a guy, a true fan.

Looks like he will be starting on the bench  ::)

Keane, who played against Anderson during his stint with Celtic in the SPL in 2005-06, said: "I'm delighted.

"Naturally, we've had him watched a number of times and know all about the kind of player and character he is. He has a lot of experience and will provide competition for places at the back."

:-\

As long as we don't hear noises from Pittodrie along the following lines:

"Oh, we battled to keep him" .... "we fought to get a good fee for him"...

If the club wanted to keep him they would have offered him a new deal. End fucking of.

As for offering his signing on fee to youth development: what a guy, a true fan.

But what if Anderson wanted to go? Or held the club ransom? As gutting as it is to lose him, AFC are bigger than one player.

I have no doubt that Russell probably wanted to go, but on this transfer all eyes are on the board and it has been clear that they had no intention of 'battling' to keep him.

I'm just stating that the board better not try to hoodwink us into thinking that they wanted Anderson to stay (just so they could remain onside with the fans) because it is clear that wanted to get a transfer fee out of it.

I haven't said anywhere that Anderson is bigger than AFC.  ???

God has left our Defense

You've been across the water for abit too long.

As for Russ......

Good luck to him.  He deserves the chance to test himself at a higher level and hopefully he succeeds and finally gets recognition in the National Squad.  Always thought he would leave and never really believed we would get much more than £1M for him.  Don't think and of this money will be, or should be, spent on fees for new players but him leaving should free up a decent wage for another player or two (hopefully a keeper), just as long it hasn't been spent already.

No reason to feel anymore downhearted for next season and hopefully zander, andy and karim can step up their consistency in performance (and fitness)

If this is what the board thinks will up attendances theyve got another thing on the way. But anyway it will make the team step up for once and it will be great to see Anderson using all of his potential somewhere instead of wasting it on covering Diamonds blunders

If this is what the board thinks will up attendances theyve got another thing on the way. But anyway it will make the team step up for once and it will be great to see Anderson using all of his potential somewhere instead of wasting it on covering Diamonds blunders

If folk stop going to Pittodrie because Anderson has been sold to Sunderland they need to give themselves a slap

Guest dazzazero

well, a million quid is a million quid.

I think we could have held out for at least 2 million, 1 million for a international player, team captain and the best player in the team by a country mile is a bit of a joke, Anderson is at the perfect age for a centre half, still has a good 8-10 years left playing. It's only a few weeks ago that Sunderland paid Reading 3 million for Greg Halford a full back that had only made 3 appearances last season and they seem to have money to splash. 

If folk stop going to Pittodrie because Anderson has been sold to Sunderland they need to give themselves a slap

Agree.

Guest Don Corleone

If Anderson is only worth £1m, then how much are the rest of our team worth?

But then again, he had 1 year left on his contract and that probably put the club in a weaker position.

Good luck to Russell, he has been a great servant. I hope he can step up to the level of the premiership.

One thing's for sure, he's not going to be too happy sitting on the bench for too long. If the same Russell Anderson goes down to Sunderland that left here, he's gonna be pushing the first-choice defenders all the way. And if he doesn't get a chance, he'll leave! There's no way a player of Russell's caliber will be happy sitting on the bench.

Then again, I said that about Henrik Larsson. Now look at him at Barca. Mind you, Barca or Sunderland. Nae exactly twinnies, are they?!