Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Reda deal scuppered by Plymouth?

McGhee by his own admission was having fairly lengthy discussions with his club and the player about the signing. There must have been an inkling that Reda was looking around at other teams during those discussions and as soon as the english come into play it's pretty much game over, move on to another target.

That's fair enough, but there is not guarantee that McGhee knew Plymouth were in for him. The way he spoke on Saturday was that he expected to sign him on Sunday, Monday at the latest. I'm sure he wouldn't have said that had he known he was about to be turning out for Plymouth on trial.

That's fair enough, but there is not guarantee that McGhee knew Plymouth were in for him. The way he spoke on Saturday was that he expected to sign him on Sunday, Monday at the latest. I'm sure he wouldn't have said that had he known he was about to be turning out for Plymouth on trial.

That's my point, why wasn't he in full ownership of the facts regarding the transfer? We shouldn't be getting hoodwinked by french 3rd division players  :-\

I'd hate to piss on everybodys outrage here, but you do all realise that he's not signed for Plymouth (yet)

Yes, Plymouth can offer him more money

Yes, Plymouth is alot closer to France then Aberdeen

Yes, Plymouth can offer his the chance to play at Doncaster, Swansea AND Preston.

But, until he signs on the line in the Home Park broom cupboard, he's still a Dons target.

I'd hate to piss on everybodys outrage here, but you do all realise that he's not signed for Plymouth (yet)

Yes, Plymouth can offer him more money

Yes, Plymouth is alot closer to France then Aberdeen

Yes, Plymouth can offer his the chance to play at Doncaster, Swansea AND Preston.

But, until he signs on the line in the Home Park broom cupboard, he's still a Dons target.

You should be banned for this rational approach.

MODS FFS.

Maybe McGhee's been on the phone to Sturrock:

MMG: "ehhhh! Luggy gonay gie us Big Jim Patersonooo-oh and Steevo McLean-oh?"

PS: "Fit'll ye gie me for them"

MMG: "eehm ahve got nae money, fit aboot I let you in on a secret signing I'm making, he's magic, the next Desailly!    The boys name Reda Johnson plays for Amiens"

PS: "Well Mark I'm still nae geein you Jim and Steeve, but Reda Johnson fae Amiens you say!"

MMG: "Ah Shit!"

;D

hebrew

Globe Reds Member

Congrats on reaching the milestone

Now where is Drewsome with your drink ??? 

Hebrew, if drewome doesn't turn up with that drink soon I promise I'll give you one.

Now Dons miss out on Johnson

McGHEE: WE DON’T HAVE THE FINANCIAL ABILITY TO GO IN AND GET DEALS DONE WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER

By Paul Third

Published: 28/07/2009

The stark reality of Aberdeen’s lack of money was brought into sharp focus for Mark McGhee yesterday.

The Dons manager knew he was facing a challenge in attracting players to the club but the helplessness of his situation could be exploited by Plymouth Argyle, who have muscled in ahead of McGhee in the chase to sign Reda Johnson.

McGhee made his first signing at Pittodrie yesterday with the capture of former Norwich City goalkeeper Stuart Nelson on a one-year deal but the move for trialist Johnson, who impressed in a week-long training camp in Austria earlier this month, has, as the manager feared, been hijacked.

McGhee was so desperate to conclude the deal he travelled to France last Thursday for discussions with the Benin international’s club Amiens and he returned to Scotland on Friday believing a deal would be concluded at the weekend.

But the player could not be contacted by the club on Friday and, unbeknown to the Dons, he turned out as a trialist for Argyle on Saturday while Aberdeen were playing in Dundee.

Argyle manager Paul Sturrock tried to keep the identity of his trialist at Morecambe quiet, taking the extraordinary step of listing the player as Bryan Spring on the teamsheet.

The 21-year-old central defender impressed on his outing and despite assurances the move to Pittodrie may still go ahead, McGhee has turned his attentions elsewhere.

He said: “We don’t have the financial ability to go in and get deals done with a sledgehammer. We are trying to do the best deals for ourselves with the money we have. There is a danger now we could be gazumped, but there is nothing we can do about it. Plymouth are having a look at him and if they sign him good luck to them. Paul is a friend but this is business and it’s dog eat dog.

“The latest e-mail I have says the deal is not dead but he could be signing for Plymouth as I speak. It’s frustrating as we could have had it done for very little money on Thursday but we have very little money and have had to box clever. Unfortunately, we haven’t boxed cleverly enough it would appear.

“There is a list of centre-halves who have been recommended. We focused on Reda as we felt he was the one but now we will go back and look at the others of interest.â€

Nelson’s arrival seems likely to be the only one at Pittodrie this week as McGhee turns his attentions to Thursday’s Europa League qualifier against Sigma Olomouc.

The goalkeeper will act as understudy to Jamie Langfield as Bertrand Bossu has a hamstring strain which will keep him out until September. McGhee hopes the directors at the club will cover the costs of the enforced emergency move.

He said: “I will be meeting with the directors on Wednesday to discuss the finances. I am hoping the goalkeeper will come from some sort of contingency fund rather than the budget I had when I came in here.â€

Youth-team goalkeeper John Bateman will join Peterhead on loan to make room for Nelson and the new signing has set his sights on dislodging Jamie Langfield as number one at Pittodrie.

He said: “I'm told Jamie Langfield is a very good goalkeeper who is the number one, so I've got another challenge on my hands. I've had experience of being a back-up and didn't enjoy it.

“I've not come to Pittodrie to sit around and watch. I've come to challenge him.â€

Just another pre-season at AFC!

I think the level of outrage is slightly OTT. And Stoney's fishing is.. well. Fishing! But I don't think McGhee can really be blamed. The fans demand signings and if he kept his mouth shut all of the time about potential targets the fans would grow restless and you'd get the "FFS We're nae signing any cunt!" and if he does mention targets he gets slaughtered for other clubs coming in for them. What can he do? We're even more skint than we were during the Calderwood era and even he had a shoe string budget. McGhee's hands are well and truly tied and whether we like it or not we'll just have to wait and and if he's not spouting names to the press we have to remain calm, move away from the panic button and give the boy a fucking chance!

I see he's officially signed for them now.

From the BBC:

Plymouth snap up defender Johnson

Plymouth Argyle

Plymouth Argyle have signed central defender Reda Johnson from French club Amiens for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the Championship side after impressing in Saturday's pre-season friendly win against Morecambe.

The Benin international was also a target for Scottish side Aberdeen but has opted for a move to Home Park.

Johnson becomes the second trialist to join Plymouth this summer, following Icelandic midfielder Kari Arnason.

Pilgrims boss Paul Sturrock said he saw Johnson as a player with great potential.

"Reda's a big strong boy , he's quick and left footed which I'm quite pleased about because it's hard to find these days at centre-back," he said.

Johnson had earlier impressed on trial with the Dons, who had agreed a fee with Amiens before Plymouth moved in.

Argyle had already thwarted Mark McGhee's attempt to sign defender Jim Paterson and striker Steve MacLean, with Aberdeen admitting they could not afford to take the pair on loan.

It's all relative. Have they signed anyone you'd have wanted at Pittodrie?

The same way they persuaded the Bonetti brothers, Sara, Caniggia, di Marchi and Carranza to move to Dundee.

World-class South American / Italian players: "What's good about Dundee?"

Bonetti brothers: "A neverending supply of coccaine and whores"

World-class South American / Italian players: "Where's that pen?"

The same way they persuaded the Bonetti brothers, Sara, Caniggia, di Marchi and Carranza to move to Dundee.

:lolabove:

Note you never said good looking whores ;)

Hahaha class.