Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Reda deal scuppered by Plymouth?

What did McGhee do wrong here ? I'm confused.

Do we know he is focusing on one player at a time ? You can't possibly be so naive to think that if a club with more money than us goes for a player then we have some kind of rights to signing him. From the outset the club have been looking for a fee and we have no cash. Seems to me that we have worked hard to try and sign a player with little to offer and the club has found a buyer with more to offer. What is there to be angry about ? Disappointed yes, frustrated yes but to suggest that McGhee has fucked this up seems a little hysterical to me.

Frustration would be the word ajja, we (in the North East) have been reading misleading headlines about this fecker for weeks. Now - in good old fashioned afc style- it has fallen through.

Frustration might be promoted to desperation in the coming days/weeks.  :(

Do we know he is focusing on one player at a time ? You can't possibly be so naive to think that if a club with more money than us goes for a player then we have some kind of rights to signing him. From the outset the club have been looking for a fee and we have no cash. Seems to me that we have worked hard to try and sign a player with little to offer and the club has found a buyer with more to offer. What is there to be angry about ? Disappointed yes, frustrated yes but to suggest that McGhee has fucked this up seems a little hysterical to me.

No players in before the Euro deadline to me is a complete fuck up. Maybe it's not McGhee's fault but someone should be getting a roasting for it.

We've signed a keeper. Whoop de fucking doo. We need a central defender and we need a right back and we need both of those things yesterday.

:clap:

Completely agree (I know you hate those words) but it is true. Its been frustrating as hell, but I'm not holding MM responsible, these things happen. I had my doubts about the guy when he was quoted last week saying he wasn't sure about us. I hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket, but we'll just have to wait and see. We do need decent signings in the critical areas, and fast.

With regards to other targets was MM not quoted last week as saying that he wouldnt be naming publicly any other players he was looking to sign as all it was doing was alerting other clubs to the ones he wanted ? 

What seriously puzzles me in all of this, is not so much the boy might being going elsewhere, but the fact that Dingus was interviewed on Radio Scotland, post the Dundee game saying that the deal was as good as done, but all the time Johnson was away playing for Plymouth that very afternoon.

Real smell of shite about all of this, and not a happy camper >:(

What seriously puzzles me in all of this, is not so much the boy might being going elsewhere, but the fact that Dingus was interviewed on Radio Scotland, post the Dundee game saying that the deal was as good as done, but all the time Johnson was away playing for Plymouth that very afternoon.

Real smell of shite about all of this, and not a happy camper >:(

Bingo.

Trying to say i told you so calderwood was my boy by the looks of things

love the way every other manager has received zero backing apart from calderwood.

:lolabove:

McGhee has chased about on the Johnson deal but if he fancies him as a player, then I suppose he would, though not knowing the cunt was being hoored about has made him look a bit daft. Plymouth seem to be using the old United scouting method too, who are AFC after? They'll do for us!

As I've said before, McGhee is working in a fucked market with his hands tied behind his back. If only we had a manager with money at his disposal.

Also, it would seem he has moved his attentions away from the other 2 at Plymouth from what he said in the papers today so maybe we should wait til he actually signs some cunt. It really brings the market he has to sign players in into sharp focus when very ordinary and utterly unremarkable players are outwith our wages. There has to be some sort of leveling out in England, the money down there has to eventually become unsustainable especially with banks current reluctance to loan/support loss making businesses.

Just to be clear - I didn't post to take a dig at McGhee.

Hopefully we will be able to gie Sigma a guid pumping wi the cock we already have (oo-er).

Just a bit gutted that we seem to be incapable of attracting any players at all so far.

It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, we just keep getting fucked over for transfers and seem to end up signing players of a lower and lower standard.

For someone who remembers fitba' in the 80s, it is depressing as...

And for Luggy to be the one to be interfering...

:hammer:

My understanding of the world of football agents is limited so I may be off the mark but I don't think that clubs are provided with exclusive access to players. In fact the exact opposite is more likely. If a player is being courted by a club then you can bet that their agent (if they are doing their job properly) is talking with as many potential other clubs as possible. The more clubs they can get interested the more they can use that to attract further interest. The idea that somehow the club or manager could have just kept his mouth shut and then nobody would have known that we were trying to sign this guy is laughable.

I sometimes wonder what the real world looks like from the perspective of some posters on here. The perceived 'logic' applied to the commercial activity of a football club, its transfer dealings, all of its relations with external bodies, how information is communicated and controlled, the loyalty and commitment of its staff is like some sort of Peter Pan Neverland that you would never expect to see operate anywhere else.

Exactly Ajja. I'm as annoyed as the next fan that yet another deal is likely to fall through but to suggest that if Mark McGhee kept his mouth shut about who he does or doesn't have on trial when its fucking public knowledge anyway is absolutely comical.

What difference does it make in an open market?

Are we somehow to ensure that a strange looking black guy photographed in the P&J and BBC Sport playing in an AFC shirt in Austria doesn't attract any attention?

My understanding of the world of football agents is limited so I may be off the mark but I don't think that clubs are provided with exclusive access to players. In fact the exact opposite is more likely. If a player is being courted by a club then you can bet that their agent (if they are doing their job properly) is talking with as many potential other clubs as possible. The more clubs they can get interested the more they can use that to attract further interest. The idea that somehow the club or manager could have just kept his mouth shut and then nobody would have known that we were trying to sign this guy is laughable.

I sometimes wonder what the real world looks like from the perspective of some posters on here. The perceived 'logic' applied to the commercial activity of a football club, its transfer dealings, all of its relations with external bodies, how information is communicated and controlled, the loyalty and commitment of its staff is like some sort of Peter Pan Neverland that you would never expect to see operate anywhere else.

The fact of the matter is that we should never have been chasing this lad on the off chance that we 'might' get him. We have an absolutely urgent need for players in that position and solid targets should have been identified as soon as McGhee walked through that door.

The fact of the matter is that we should never have been chasing this lad on the off chance that we 'might' get him. We have an absolutely urgent need for players in that position and solid targets should have been identified as soon as McGhee walked through that door.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. The point I'm trying to make is that we do not have all the levers in our possession. We can't control what the market does and in the current climate, with our resources we are trying to push water uphill with a fork. Most of all we, as mere supporters of the club, have very little insight into how these dealings are actually evolving. We can't say with any confidence that there was doubt over this signing in the early stages and we can't say that McGhee didn't have targets outlined and has fallen flat with the resources on offer and the changng market place. Sure, we can guess and we can certainly allow our emotions to ride over the top of logic but at the end of the day we should give the club and manager some level of understanding as to the extremely difficult trading environment they are in and be patient.

How do we know that though until we effectively chase them? We need to ask before being told to stick it or if it's going to happen.

McGhee by his own admission was having fairly lengthy discussions with his club and the player about the signing. There must have been an inkling that Reda was looking around at other teams during those discussions and as soon as the english come into play it's pretty much game over, move on to another target.