Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

whats happening?

dont get mug time to bail about online and the papers are full of some dead pop star who may or may not have been a kiddie fiddler. Any transfers forthcoming? We waiting on a tv deal? No longer live in aberdeen so heard nothing at all. Slightly worrying considering europe is not far away? Not even any rumours that might be true?

I'd give Willie Miller a shout. He might know a bit more than we do.

Miller in paper this morning saying only bringing in two maybe three players tops to replace the 5 that have left. Also saying cannot compete on wages offered to Hughes and only hope of him coming is if he comes here for football reasons.

We're after two or three of these, I hear.

Michael Fraser

Paul Quinn

Steven Hammell

Mark Reynolds

Stephen Craigan

John Sutton

Darren Smith

Keith Lasley

Jamie Murphy

Marc Fitzpatrick

Jim O'Brien

Steven McGarry

Graeme Smith

Stephen Hughes

Robert McHugh

Brian McLean

Also Big Martin (Dhalin), who McGhee knows from his time in Sweden with IK Brage, has put us in touch with several Swedish amateurs who are coming in on trial (where they'll "be flying" no doubt).

::)

So basically the Motherwell team then? ;) I think it would surely be suicide to only bring in 3 for the 5 we have lost, especially since it was clearly highlighted last season we didn't have enough to compete. But I suppose given the financial predicament of the SPL currently, it doesn't give us much room to manoevre. I'd hope for 3 permanant signings and possibly a couple of loan signings.

Aberdeen FC poised to swoop for four

But Hughes hitch holding back any early moves

By Sean Wallace

Published: 30/06/2009

ABERDEEN FC assistant Scott Leitch today confirmed Aberdeen aim to sign four new players before the start of the season.

But Aberdeen FC will not move for any other players until their bid for Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes has been resolved.

have we set Hughes a deadline?

So could be another long summer then?  :-\ Is Klimpl not better than Hughes anyway?

I've not seen enough of Klimpl to say, but if we're looking to bring in four players I'd rather we gave Hughes a deadline of half 12 this afternoon and let us get on with getting others in who are not fannying about and know they want to play for us. Hughes would be a good signing for us, but not an exceptional signing, really don't want us getting hung up on getting him.

I've not seen enough of Klimpl to say, but if we're looking to bring in four players I'd rather we gave Hughes a deadline of half 12 this afternoon and let us get on with getting others in who are not fannying about and know they want to play for us. Hughes would be a good signing for us, but not an exceptional signing, really don't want us getting hung up on getting him.

Thats the thing, he's not worth all the time we are giving. If he was an exceptional signing, fair enough, but I don't think he's worth the wait, either sign by the weekend or move on. Time is money and the longer we wait, as MBT says, we'll wait till the 11th hour and sign dross. Not what we need with a new management team and a European campaign to look prepare for.

surely we need to work on the defence? I personally think we need a left back, other than foster, allow charlie into the middle with psycho and stick mcdonald in the hole behind miller for away games. Then sign another striker for home games that is actually capable of scoring. Unless i am a retard, and undoubtedly am on occasion, is this hughes not a centre midfielder?

surely we need to work on the defence? I personally think we need a left back, other than foster, allow charlie into the middle with psycho and stick mcdonald in the hole behind miller for away games. Then sign another striker for home games that is actually capable of scoring. Unless i am a retard, and undoubtedly am on occasion, is this hughes not a centre midfielder?

By moving Mulgrew into the middle, do you mean midfield or centre half?  Either way, I'd say no thanks.

This theory about having a seperate formation for home and away matches is nonsense (no offence). Do we really need to set up with just one man up front away from home against Hamilton, St Johnstone et al?  I would really hope we're better than that and that is exactly one of the reasons why people lost patience with JC. Needless tinkering and seemingly over thinking the situation - going to 3 at the back against Falkirk, for example.  Play to your players strengths and consistently do so and we'll win more than we lose.

I meant mulgrew to centre mid, although my opinion of him there is limited pretty much too seeing him do really well there for the under 21's.  Although i never expressed it well I was not suggesting going to perth or wherever and playing one up top, just think Mcdonald could do a job up in the hole and its another option. Basically is midfield where we need to strengten? I am not so sure

I meant mulgrew to centre mid, although my opinion of him there is limited pretty much too seeing him do really well there for the under 21's.  Although i never expressed it well I was not suggesting going to perth or wherever and playing one up top, just think Mcdonald could do a job up in the hole and its another option. Basically is midfield where we need to strengten? I am not so sure

There is a case for every area of the pitch needing looked at. The attack doesn't score enough goals, the midfield lacks bite and doesn't create enough chances for the strikers, the defence is wildly inconsistent and lacks numbers and there is little or no competition for Langfield.

Mulgrew is lazy. Far too lazy to play centre midfield because he's simply not good enough for his laziness not to become an issue.

I agree with TF in that we need players in every position. 

According to Redweb we have 10 midfielders in the first team squad. One of which is Severin, so that's nine and another is Jamie Smith, so that's eight.  Then they're counting Nicky Clark, Peter Pawlett and Sammy Stewart bringing it down to five (although Pawlett I would imagine will be there or thereabouts).  Our midfield options of established first team squad players is down to Kerr, McDonald, Aluko, Young and Duff.  Young and Duff are filler, and in Young's case in particular that's probably above his station. So we have 3 players who we'd be comfortable with going into the first XI in Kerr, Mcdonald and Aluko.  Still think we don't need midfielders?

Mulgrew is lazy. Far too lazy to play centre midfield because he's simply not good enough for his laziness not to become an issue.

I agree with TF in that we need players in every position.   

According to Redweb we have 10 midfielders in the first team squad. One of which is Severin, so that's nine and another is Jamie Smith, so that's eight.  Then they're counting Nicky Clark, Peter Pawlett and Sammy Stewart bringing it down to five (although Pawlett I would imagine will be there or thereabouts).  Our midfield options of established first team squad players is down to Kerr, McDonald, Aluko, Young and Duff.  Young and Duff are filler, and in Young's case in particular that's probably above his station. So we have 3 players who we'd be comfortable with going into the first XI in Kerr, Mcdonald and Aluko.  Still think we don't need midfielders?

All of Smith, Mair and Severin need to be replaced. 2 of them in midfield, no fucking about.

In the past few years JC made a big deal of sacrificing quantity for quality. That means when the "quality" leaves then we need to replace like for like.

However since Mair, Severin and Smith have left I expect nothing less than 3 new players to directly replace them. That's before we strenghten.

I think we need 5 new players.

All of Smith, Mair and Severin need to be replaced. 2 of them in midfield, no fucking about.

In the past few years JC made a big deal of sacrificing quantity for quality. That means when the "quality" leaves then we need to replace like for like.

However since Mair, Severin and Smith have left I expect nothing less than 3 new players to directly replace them. That's before we strenghten.

Have also lost JDV from midfield and Vidal from defence who have not been replaced.

Aye, not to mention never replacing Russell Anderson.

I think a couple can be passed off with adding Pawlett and Paton to the squad, It will be quite interesting to see if these boys are the real deal, but I still think we need all of these (RB, CB, MC and MR) before we start.

I think we NEED 11! Challenges for EVERY position, however 5 for now would do.