Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New Manager - New Players

As always seems to happen, new managers will bring in players they have worked with before. Out of the names currently being touted, who will be able to get in the best players? I know he has had a good couple of months, but my biggest fear is we go for Jim Jeffries and end up seeing Kevin Kyle in a Dons top!! Do we also really want half of the Falkirk team ending up at Pittodrie. Remember what happened when Patterson started bringing in players he believed could make the step up?? Leigh Hinds, Bryan Prunty ....... sorry have to stop ... can't see what i'm typing through the tears

If we get yogi we wouldnt be able to afford the better Falkirk players as they are all under 24. I'm worried if we don't get someone from a team at least on the same level we will end up with an influx of worse players brought in by the new manager, convinced they can make the grade.  Even Calderwood was guilty by bringing Byrne and Dempsey.

If we get yogi we wouldnt be able to afford the better Falkirk players as they are all under 24. I'm worried if we don't get someone from a team at least on the same level we will end up with an influx of worse players brought in by the new manager, convinced they can make the grade.  Even Calderwood was guilty by bringing Byrne and Dempsey.

So you want John Hughes in as manager?

but would you take him now? actually, tommy wright or dougie arnott now? hmmmm. point taken  ;)

I wouldnt want John Hughes cos i don't think he'd be able to attract good enough players.  If he is not getting a budget we couldn't afford their talented ones, and i wouldn't want to risk him bringing in some of their others, cos they are no better than what we have.

I honestly think we should try for one of the talented managers from the championship or league 1. Especially if we are looking for a "fresh approach to take us forward"

don't think ferguson is possible to be honest. again as said in another thread i'd take a look at alan irvine. would rather have black than mcghee. more experience with squads at a higher level, so we might get some good kids on loan. I would just hate for the aberdeen fans to turn on Black! It wouldn't be right.

100% agree. Exactly what I have said in other threads. Only way i'd take Billy Reid is if he HAD to bring the James's with him. Only way I'd take John Hughes is if he Had to bring Arfield and Barr

I would never take a manager on the strength of just two players he could bring with him, unless it was Zidane and Maradona at their peak he was bringing.

Is it really worth the risk of bringing in new players into the squad when we are only 2 months away from a Euro game. Surely a new manager will take a couple of weeks to see what areas need strengthened? Another weeks or 2 to do the deal. That means 1 months training with the squad and no competitive games before going straight into a Euro tie, albeit it should be against some dross. I don't want our euro run over before it's started.

What happens if the new manager decides like every other manager and decides he likes the look of Mackie? If McGhee started talking up Mackie I wonder what the reaction will be?

Paterson tried to get rid of Mackie.

I'd rather bring a manager in knowing the strength of a couple of players rather than not having a clue who might come. We might end up with Nigel Pepper or Juan Cobian!! Yes, he needs to assess the squad, but we also don't want to be out of the competition because he hasn't noticed that we need a few players extra.