Saturday 20th April 2024: Ā kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

šŸ”“āšŖļø Stand Free! āšŖļøšŸ”“

Season Ticket Renewal

We've had a samsung lcd in the for 3 years or so. Been very happy with it, nice picture quality and absolutely no problems- apart from the screen size! Been working on the missus for a larger one for a fair while now, when the massive old wide-screen telly finally goes badly enough it's a 42" at least. Even better, there's still time to try and convince her that a 47" might not look over-sized in the room yet.......

Ā 

I just think women don't get big tellys........................................what is the need for themĀ  ???

Ā 

My 26 incher is perfectly adequate.................................ooh errĀ  ;)

Is it just me but folk fah say they're nae renewing until JC goes - is that nae a bit juvenile?!?, we're all AFC supporters by choice therefore we're supposed to 'support' the team through thick and thin, good times and bad times etc....if we all decided to not renew every time we go through a perceived bad slump the club will be deed and buried in no time at all

Ā 

For all those not renewing because of JC, I assume you also boycotted the Skovdahl / Paterson / Aitken years fan we were in a much worse position?

Ā 

For all those not renewing because of JC, I assume you also boycotted the Skovdahl / Paterson / Aitken years fan we were in a much worse position?

Ā 

No. They all offered something which Calderwood's reign does not.

Ā 

In the case of Aitken, we competed for (and won) silverware. In the case of Skovdahl, we got to cup finals, got back into Europe and were treated to some wildly entertaining football (albeit also a few outrageous gubbings). In the case of Paterson, there was a degree of understanding as the budget with which he was told to work was a pittance, particularly in comparison with that lavished on Calderwood since he took over, which has subsequently been pished away on useless nobodies like Derek Young, Tommy Wright, Stuart Duff, Neil MacFarlane and Lee Mair.

Ā 

Under Calderwood, there is no entertainment, no anticipation before a match, no humility, no sense that he has any clue as to his deficiencies or how to address them, and no sense that it is ever going to get anything other than worse under his stewardship.

Ā 

Sometimes the easy and obvious thing to do is not the right thing to do. My opinion is that by renewing my ST, I'm explicitly endorsing JC's reign for yet another year of tedium, frustration and outright anger, and as I said, it's as much for the good of my own health as it is for that of AFC. Because I love the club so much, I find it exceptionally difficult to tolerate the kind of football and rampant egocentrism which Calderwood represents.

Good point Sweetchuck - I suppose we all see things differently though

Ā 

Personally spikking I find it hard to get my head round those who watched us regularly getting humped by all and sundry just over 5 years ago (onybody mind the Livingstone 6-1 defeat at hameĀ  :o) would now decide to take action after 4 years of mid table stability and mediocrity.

Saying that though I do think a change of management / tactics could be good but I'm nae sure if depriving myself of something I enjoy would dee me (or the club financially) much good.

Good point Sweetchuck - I suppose we all see things differently

Ā 

Personally spikking I find it hard to get my head round those who watched us regularly getting humped by all and sundry just over 5 years ago (onybody mind the Livingstone 6-1 defeat at hameĀ  :o) would now decide to take action after 4 years of mid table stability and mediocrity.

Saying that though I do think a change of management / tactics could be good but I'm nae sure if depriving myself of something I enjoy would dee me (or the club financially) much good.

Ā 

I'm pretty much with you there Rocco.

Ā 

To have gone through the utter misery of those periods and then chuck it (no pun intended) I can't understand. It is a well made point sweetchuck makes, I just don't agree with it when the whole of the league is viewed in context. The whole standard is very much declining.

I guess that overall, the point which I'm trying to make is that during all the time that we were getting gubbed under Aitken, Skovdahl and Paterson, there was a feeling that things could - if not necessarily would - improve in some way, shape or form. There was always a sense that a corner could be turned.

Ā 

Under JC, what has developed is a sense of futility in two key senses. Firstly, the sense that no matter how long we persist with him, he'll still be unable to learn the kind of lessons which would stop us getting humiliated in the cups and frustrated so easily in crucial league games. He simply doesn't have any answers to the questions which are asked of him in management.

Ā 

Secondly, there is an ever-growing sense of futility in terms of the fans' ability to effect change. Calderwood is constantly bleating about how nobody dares approach him in the street, but when he is tackled (eg. EE fans' forum, Scotland match in the Netherlands) he simply acts like a spoilt kid and refuses to acknowledge even constructive criticism. Worse still - from my point of view, although I accept that it is not a view shared by everybody on here - is the fact that no matter how bad things get, there is a feeling that so much executive footballing power has been has vested in Willie Miller (which he, in turn, has entrusted in Calderwood by making it clear that if JC goes, WM goes too) that nothing will ever change.

Ā 

I simply do not believe that Calderwood and - albeit to a lesser extent - Miller have the club's best interests at heart, and consequently, I don't believe that renewing my ST would be in the club's best interests either. That - and the resultant sense of abject futility and angry exasperation on my part - means that I simply can't bear to let the club think all of the fans are prepared to let them continue in this vein.

I guess that overall, the point which I'm trying to make is that during all the time that we were getting gubbed under Aitken, Skovdahl and Paterson, there was a feeling that things could - if not necessarily would - improve in some way, shape or form. There was always a sense that a corner could be turned.

Ā 

i think that corner was turned , it was when J C took over .but i would say that there is another corner that needs to be turned now . a happy medium between ebbe and J C wouldn't be a bad thing , consistancy with a touch of drama added and the odd couple of cup finals , dare say cup wins . ther was something exciting about the dons under ebbe , 99/00 was the only season i never missed a game home or away . loved every second of it .

Ā 

As farman says, it was believed the corner could be turned by a new manager coming in, and it eventually happened under Calderwood.

I still think its time for him to move on though.

Ā 

I simply do not believe that Calderwood and - albeit to a lesser extent - Miller have the club's best interests at heart

Ā 

We can all debate Calderwood's tactics, signings and general ability as a manager, but the above is just nonsense - particularly for Miller.Ā  There's no doubt Miller's job is much much tougher than he expected, but part of his remit (the youth team) appears to be beginning to bear fruit.Ā  He's a man who loves the club and there is no doubt in my mind that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

Think I'm going to renew mine actually now. Seeing as it's only Ā£150. Although not sure how many games I will be able to make. Worked out that I'll only need to go to 8 games to get my money back though so it will probably be worth it.

Think I'm going to renew mine actually now. Seeing as it's only ƂĀ£150. Although not sure how many games I will be able to make. Worked out that I'll only need to go to 8 games to get my money back though so it will probably be worth it.

Ā 

You'll also get priority tickets for our european games, and the Scottish Cup FinalĀ  :-\

I'm pretty much with you there Rocco.

Ā 

To have gone through the utter misery of those periods and then chuck it (no pun intended) I can't understand. It is a well made point sweetchuck makes, I just don't agree with it when the whole of the league is viewed in context. The whole standard is very much declining.

Ā 

the fact the whole standard is declining doesn't mean we should meekly accept it for our club and then pay out a good lump sum of money for the pleasure (sic) of doing so, TF. It's a big commitment to make particularly if you're not enjoying it. Some people can blindly support them regardless of cost, time consumed etc, others can't.Ā  I had a season ticket from the Jocky Scott/Alex Smith years through to JC's first season. People said to me "how can you chuck it after a season of improvement after you've watched us under Paterson/Alex Miller etc?"Ā  Just because it's the team you love doesn't mean there's not a threshold.Ā  I simply couldn't justify paying a lot of money every week to do something that had stopped becoming enjoyable.

Ā 

When you no longer look forward to it, when the idea of it no longer excites you, it's time to stop.