Superstar Tradesman's Conspiracy Theory For Today.

A 4th place finish could be more lucrative to the club than 3rd place finish.

Here's why:

We finish 3rd place and are rewarded with 3rd place lump sum and a qualifier game to get into the group stages of Europe.  Generally speaking Scottish clubs haven't faired too well in this as you're likely to be facing some decent teams.

3rd place money + 1 home game + 1 away game (tv/attendance cash)

Or we finish 4th place and are rewarded with a 4th place lump sum (£100,000 less than 3rd?) and two qualifier games to get into the group stages of Europe.  Granted you need to win the first qualifier to get the second but then it's a backdoor entry for many cup competitions so you'd probably have more of a chance against 'lesser' opposition.

4th place money + 2 home games + 2 away games (tv/attendances cash)

Loose the first qualifier game and you're only really loosing out on £100,000 for the 3rd place finish in the SPL.  Win it and your fans are more likely to get twice the European games than Scottish teams normally get (Huns included) and the club will also financially benifit twice as much as 3rd place.

Or am I talking bollocks?

I think you would still have just as much of a chance of meeting a big team once you'd got through the first qualifier? At the end of the day though, I think I would still prefer to finish third, and just play the two legged qualifier. Our players would have more time to rest, and should we actually (hopefully!) get some new players in, they will have that little bit more time to settle. It'd be far more embarassing going out to some numpty team from uzbekistan than say a bigger club in the final round of qualifiers.  :-\

You are talking sence!

I'm sure it's been said before that the extra prize money we get for finishing further up the league is dished out in bonusus to the players.

As for being in the earlier rounds of europe, yes please!

Last time we did the whole massive teams in european capital cities thing: Munich, Madrid, Athens.

Bring on the Norwegian fishing towns that sneaked into Europe, or an Albanian market town, or even WALES!

It's pretty safe to assume that anyone who refers to themselves in the third person twice in one day is talking bollocks.

Superstar Trademan refers to himself in the third person three times per day.  Ergo, I'm not talking bollocks.

Whose to say we would get past the qualifiers?

You really have been hanging around with the KKK too long.

Read it again needle dick.

Even if we get knocked out of the qualifier round, we'll have had practically the same number of European games as 3rd place.

Any students/statos out there want to compile a quick list of who 3rd and 4th would play if the leagues finished as things stand after last weekend?

A 4th place finish could be more lucrative to the club than 3rd place finish.

Here's why:

We finish 3rd place and are rewarded with 3rd place lump sum and a qualifier game to get into the group stages of Europe.  Generally speaking Scottish clubs haven't faired too well in this as you're likely to be facing some decent teams.

3rd place money + 1 home game + 1 away game (tv/attendance cash)

Or we finish 4th place and are rewarded with a 4th place lump sum (£100,000 less than 3rd?) and two qualifier games to get into the group stages of Europe.  Granted you need to win the first qualifier to get the second but then it's a backdoor entry for many cup competitions so you'd probably have more of a chance against 'lesser' opposition.

4th place money + 2 home games + 2 away games (tv/attendances cash)

Loose the first qualifier game and you're only really loosing out on £100,000 for the 3rd place finish in the SPL.  Win it and your fans are more likely to get twice the European games than Scottish teams normally get (Huns included) and the club will also financially benifit twice as much as 3rd place.

Or am I talking bollocks?

Yea, assuming we win the first qualifier.

If we don't then we are losing money on the league placing.

Any students/statos out there want to compile a quick list of who 3rd and 4th would play if the leagues finished as things stand after last weekend?

Oi!

I'm trying to write a thesis here you know?!

I'm almost certain if we finish 4th we got into the 'North Atlantic' qualifying group.

I'm away to find out...

Oi!

I'm trying to write a thesis here you know?!

I'm almost certain if we finish 4th we got into the 'North Atlantic' qualifying group.

I'm away to find out...

Thanks, I'm still pretending that I'm doing mine ;)  :thumbsup: (goes away to make a cup of tea :D )

Now, now! One thing you can't argue with is Jimmy's abilities to get the results that matter in Europe.

A fluked draw against Bayern who humped us in the second leg, we caught  Copenhagen  cold, I am positive that if we polay them again at home they will destroy us.

If we finish 4th, we will be seaded in the 2nd round of qualifying and shall play either:

• 2nd placed team of Slovenian PrvaLiga 2008–09
  • HJK Helsinki
  • FC Honka
  • Liep?jas Metalurgs
  • Skonto R?ga
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina Winners of Kup Bosne i Hercegovine 2008–09
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina 2nd placed team of Premijer Liga 2008-09
  • Winners of Lithuanian Football Cup 2008–09
  • FBK Kaunas
  • Winners of Moldovan Cup 2008–09
  • Moldova 2nd placed team of Divizia Na?ional? 2008-09
  • St Patrick's Athletic
  • Winners of Macedonian Cup 2008–09
  • R Reykjavík
  • Winners of Georgian Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Liechtenstein Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Belarusian Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Estonian Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Azerbaijan Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Albanian Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Armenian Cup 2009
  • Tobol (Kazikstan)
  • Winners of Irish Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Welsh Cup 2008–09
  • HB Tórshavn
  • Winners of Luxembourg Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Maltese Cup 2008–09
  • Winners of Montenegrin Cup 2008–09

Malta in the summer could be nae bad. Or a wee trip to the Faroes.

I fancy Reykjavík! I've always wanted to go and Iceland is cheaper than usual as it's in recession  :thumbsup:

Other than that i'll take anone except Kazikstan, It looks a bit of an arse to get to, anyone else though? Yeah, bring it on!

My mistake, we could also play:

• Romania 5th placed team of Liga I 2008–09
  • 5th placed team of Portuguese Liga 2008–09
  • Winners of UEFA Europa League play-offs in Eredivisie 2008–09
  • 4th placed team of Scottish Premier League 2008–09
  • Turkey 4th placed team of Süper Lig 2008–09
  • 4th placed team of Ukrainian Premier League 2008–09
  • 4th placed team of Belgian First Division 2008–09
  • 3rd placed team of Champions League Playoff in the Super League Greece 2008–09
  • Czech Republic 4th placed team of Gambrinus liga 2008–09
  • 3rd placed team of Swiss Super League 2008–09
  • Bulgaria 3rd placed team of A PFG 2008–09
  • Tromsø
  • 2nd placed team of Danish Superliga 2008–09
  • 3rd placed team of Danish Superliga 2008–09
  • 2nd placed team of Austrian Bundesliga 2008-09
  • 3rd placed team of Austrian Bundesliga 2008-09
  • 2nd placed team of Serbian Superliga 2008–09
  • 3rd placed team of Serbian Superliga 2008–09
  • Israel 2nd placed team of Ligat ha'Al 2008–09
  • Elfsborg
  • 2nd placed team of Slovak Superliga 2008–09
  • Poland 2nd placed team of Ekstraklasa 2008–09
  • Hungary 2nd placed team of Soproni Liga 2008-09
  • Croatia 2nd placed team of Prva HNL 2008–09
  • Winners of Cypriot Cup 2008–09
  • 2nd placed team of Cypriot First Division 2008–09
  • Winners of Slovenian Cup 2008–09

Good work Dave, but in short there are probably about as many different permutations presently as there are potential outcomes of tomorrow nights Lottery draw.

Fancy a nice short trip before the main event, therefore either Ireland or Wales will do :thumbsup:

Thought the same thing.

Good work Dave_min ;)

Slovenia is a nice country. Outside the Euro too is it not?

I was in Slovenia back in 2002 or 2003 can't mind which. Place I visited then was Maribor and seem to mind that a bottle of Heineken cost around the equivalent of 20p. Flew to Graz in Austria which from memeory was only about an hour from the border

Shouldn't we wait until we have actually secured a European Slot?

We're just keen to know what nationality of slots we'll be looking to secure.  ;)

But that wasn't the point of the thread.  I just thought that finishing 4th might actually be easier and potentially more lucrative for the club than 3rd.

Anyone know how much dosh the difference is between 3rd and 4th?