Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Great days under 'Uncle Ebbe'

Don't agree with that. He was not the best defender to wear the red of Aberdeen, granted! But he was probably the best defender we had at the club at the time. Beside him were an up-and-coming Russell Anderson who struggled to get back into his stride in the 01/02 season following a year out with a leg-break, Kevin Rutkiepish who was .... pish, Phil McGuire who was consistent but nothing fancy, McNaughton who was more cold than hot, and Solberg who was an extreme liability.

Of that bunch, Whyte was probably the best.

he may or may not have been the best defender at the club at the time, but it doesn't take away the fact that he was complete and utter derek whyte

He deserves fuck all. He was fucking shite. He made a mockery of our club, he made a mockery of football and I was fucking embarrassed to be an Aberdeen fan while he was in charge.

Judging by the reaction of the Aberdeen fans at Tannadice in November 2002, you were in a minority with your standpoint on Skovdahl.

things were wierd under ebbe.  it was like the rules of supporting a football team were suspended.  I remember us taking a total shoeing to someone at pittodrie and the entire stadium singing one ebbe skovdahl as the full time whistle went.  Very strange!

So Aberdeen fans became like some of the Tartan Army then  ;)

things were wierd under ebbe.  it was like the rules of supporting a football team were suspended.  I remember us taking a total shoeing to someone at pittodrie and the entire stadium singing one ebbe skovdahl as the full time whistle went.  Very strange!

Indeed, in fact, the rules were so suspended that Andy Dow was lauded for one season as well, before reverting to type! I suppose he did help us beat hibs in one fo the cup runs, but man he was painful to watch on a regular basis.....

You're saying they were all some of the best in the world?  :-\

Well obviously not Steve Guppy (although he did get an England cap so he must be up there).

Ronald De Boer played over 60 matches for Holland including a World Cup Quarter Final, won the champions league with Ajax before playing for Barcelona. So he's certainly up there with Demarcus Beasley ::)

Numan has over 40 Dutch caps must have played in the same Quarter Final as De Boer.

Klos has a Champions league winners medal with Dortmund

Viduka only played in the Semi's of the Champions league

I seem to remember Moravcik in my WC '90 stiker album, how old was he at Celtic? He was good though, touch control, vision, wonder why he never played at a higher level?

Kanchelskis was replaced by Beckham at Man U, would it be too dissimilar to Ronaldo popping up at Rangers in 6 or 7 seasons time?

Cannigia, World cup finalist? Definatley played in 90, OK I suppose 10 years and a lot of drugs later.

Berkovic and Petrov out of that lot would be closest in terms of talent to the current old firm squads, so I'll give you them. Although Petrov is currently plying his trade for a top 4 Prem side so that has to make him top 50 at least  ;D.

I'm not really speculating on who was the better manager though, I certainly didn't like Ebbes first season when we were getting battered by Celtic 7 - 0, avoiding relegation by virtue of league restructuring and the like.

On the flip side, like Stoney says, we were in two cup finals, and reached Europe twice, in what three seasons? As opposed to no cup finals and reaching Europe once in 5 seasons.

From that point of view I can see why people remember the times fondly. Especialy considering Ebbe had a bit of character too.

Well obviously not Steve Guppy (although he did get an England cap so he must be up there).

Ronald De Boer played over 60 matches for Holland including a World Cup Quarter Final, won the champions league with Ajax before playing for Barcelona. So he's certainly up there with Demarcus Beasley ::)

Numan has over 40 Dutch caps must have played in the same Quarter Final as De Boer.

I seem to remember Moravcik in my WC '90 stiker album, how old was he at Celtic? He was good though, touch control, vision, wonder why he never played at a higher level?

Kanchelskis was replaced by Beckham at Man U, would it be too dissimilar to Ronaldo popping up at Rangers in 6 or 7 seasons time?

Cannigia, World cup finalist? Definatley played in 90, OK I suppose 10 years and a lot of drugs later.

Berkovic and Petrov out of that lot would be closest in terms of talent to the current old firm squads, so I'll give you them. Although Petrov is currently plying his trade for a top 4 Prem side so that has to make him top 50 at least  ;D.

I'm not really speculating on who was the better manager though, I certainly didn't like Ebbes first season when we were getting battered by Celtic 7 - 0, avoiding relegation by virtue of league restructuring and the like.

On the flip side, like Stoney says, we were in two cup finals, and reached Europe twice, in what three seasons? As opposed to no cup finals and reaching Europe once in 5 seasons.

From that point of view I can see why people remember the times fondly. Especialy considering Ebbe had a bit of character too.

Were they still that good by the time they went to Rangers?

Zidane said that Moravcik is the best "No.10" he ever played against which is certainly some compliment.

The De Boers would have played in a WC semi final, and possibly missed a penalty or two as well  ;). I think Numan and van Bronckhorst would also have played in that one.  Larsson also played in a WC Semi Final.

But then, so did Kiriakov and Tzvetanov...

Zidane said that Moravcik is the best "No.10" he ever played against which is certainly some compliment.

Not sure exactly what is meant by 'number 10', but Zinedine Zidane also said: "Paul Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."