Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Great days under 'Uncle Ebbe'

"Aberdeen were officially the worst team in Europe after an awful beginning to the season during which they lost their first seven games and won only one of their first 15 matches.

With a winning run of three matches in February, it looked like the club might have turned the corner, but they faltered again and could not avoid bottom place in the league.

A relegation play-off was only avoided by virtue of first division Falkirk not having a suitable stadium for the SPL. "

:thumbsup:

Guest swaddon

How the fuck does being bottom of the Scottish Premier make you 'officially' the worst team in Europe?

At the start of the season when clubs were lining up to beat us, and goals were at a premium, we were ranked last in some sort of European list of teams or something.

Aberdeen had the worst losing streak, the worst defensive record and the worst goal-scoring record of all top-flight clubs in Europe.

Still, Ebbe still took us into Europe twice in the three-and-a-half seasons he was with us. I believe that's more European ventures than the Calderwood-Nicholl regime has seen in the same timeframe.

A lot of folk bag Skovdahl. I liked the man. He was a good soul with his heart in the right place. He tried his bloody hardest for the club. The fact that 5000 Aberdeen fans packed into Tannadice to give him a real farewell when we all knew he was on his way was testament to just how many people believed in him.

But he got screwed by the bean-counters at Pittodrie.

Yep, can't blame the money men for 7-0 humpings.  >:D

Ebbe was a top bloke, I had a lot of time for him.  Two cup finals and a great trip to Berlin, but quite a lot of his results were absolutely woeful, far worse than under Calderwood, which is a shame as he was a popular guy and quite witty.  People talk about the highs and lows under Calderwood, but the gap between the highs and lows under Ebbe were far greater (sadly) - mainly because the lows were just so low!

Still, he was better than Pele!

Yep, can't blame the money men for 7-0 humpings.  >:D

Ebbe was a top bloke, I had a lot of time for him.  Two cup finals and a great trip to Berlin, but quite a lot of his results were absolutely woeful, far worse than under Calderwood, which is a shame as he was a popular guy and quite witty.  People talk about the highs and lows under Calderwood, but the gap between the highs and lows under Ebbe were far greater (sadly) - mainly because the lows were just so low!

Still, he was better than Pele!

Agree with you there Kow, and I had a lot of time for Ebbe, met him on several occassions, always remembered my name etc and was a complete gent.

The one thing I'd say in his defence was that Alex fucking Miller had ripped the heart and soul from our club the previous season. The playing staff that was left was really dreadful so he didn't have much to work with.  We also did improve every season under Ebbe but there was always an undercurrent of fragility with us (it could be argued that it's still there).

Aberdeen had the worst losing streak, the worst defensive record and the worst goal-scoring record of all top-flight clubs in Europe.

Still, Ebbe still took us into Europe twice in the three-and-a-half seasons he was with us. I believe that's more European ventures than the Calderwood-Nicholl regime has seen in the same timeframe.

A lot of folk bag Skovdahl. I liked the man. He was a good soul with his heart in the right place. He tried his bloody hardest for the club. The fact that 5000 Aberdeen fans packed into Tannadice to give him a real farewell when we all knew he was on his way was testament to just how many people believed in him.

But he got screwed by the bean-counters at Pittodrie.

Ridiculous. Caldwerwood ahs done more with a fraction of that transfer and wage budget.

I know lots of people who are 'top blokes'. Doesn't mean I want them to manage our club though. Ebbe was absolutely fucking shite as a manager.

Exactly.

I hear Gandhi was absolutely top banana as a person, but would he have been any good at managing a fitba team?

Probably not.

On a side note, I recall a mate of mine referring to Gandhi as "A fucking Paki", I got into the spirit of the discussion by offering, "Worse than that Chinky bastard, Hirohito."

Erroneous racism is fun for all the family.

Where were we?

Aye, I could never understand the love for Ebbe. He spent a fair bit of cash, had us bouncing around the table, more often than not the wrong end of the table, wasted cash on guys that didn't even deserve a red shirt, and every time we went to Glasgow it was with the certainty we were about to be humiliated.

If Calderwood performed to the same standard there would be hordes of angry villagers waving pitchforks and torches aloft outside the doors at Pittodrie every Saturday.

Aye, I could never understand the love for Ebbe. He spent a fair bit of cash, had us bouncing around the table, more often than not the wrong end of the table, wasted cash on guys that didn't even deserve a red shirt, and every time we went to Glasgow it was with the certainty we were about to be humiliated.

If Calderwood performed to the same standard there would be hordes of angry villagers waving pitchforks and torches aloft outside the doors at Pittodrie every Saturday.

But at least the football was entertaining under Ebbe......

I'm not blaming the bean counters for the 7-0 drubbings. I'm saying the bean-counters were the ones who didnt do enough to keep our top scorers (Winters & Stavrum) and couldnae even keep our captain Derek Whyte who (despite the ribbings he gets from us these days) was a bloody good defender and captain in the 2001-02 season!

That 2001/02 squad should've been developed and enhanced. Instead Ebbe was forced to let most of that squad go, and had to replace it with cheaper and inferior options ... which ultimately saw the end of his reign the following season.

he was fucking shite, i would have more confidence in langfield clearing the ball than whyte

Don't agree with that. He was not the best defender to wear the red of Aberdeen, granted! But he was probably the best defender we had at the club at the time. Beside him were an up-and-coming Russell Anderson who struggled to get back into his stride in the 01/02 season following a year out with a leg-break, Kevin Rutkiepish who was .... pish, Phil McGuire who was consistent but nothing fancy, McNaughton who was more cold than hot, and Solberg who was an extreme liability.

Of that bunch, Whyte was probably the best.

2 cup finals more then jimmy and more wins in europe then jimmy yet he still doesnt get the respect he deserves

some of the best players in the world were in the SPL when he was around and still managed to get 9 home wins in a row - a feat that will never be beaten

Bring back ebbe :)

2 cup finals more then jimmy and more wins in europe then jimmy yet he still doesnt get the respect he deserves

some of the best players in the world were in the SPL when he was around and still managed to get 9 home wins in a row - a feat that will never be beaten

Bring back ebbe :)

He deserves fuck all. He was fucking shite. He made a mockery of our club, he made a mockery of football and I was fucking embarrassed to be an Aberdeen fan while he was in charge.