Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

JC: 9 wins out of 14 and we're in Europe

Seems fairly accurate, can we do it?

Aberdeen FC point the way to Europe

Dons boss sets players a target in race for SPL’s coveted third spot

By Charlie Allan

Published: 12/02/2009

ABERDEEN FC players have been set a 63-point target to win the race to qualify for Europe.

The Dons will need to win nine of their remaining 14 games to be guaranteed of reaching the magic mark that manager Jimmy Calderwood is convinced would be their passport into next season’s Europa League.

But he has challenged his men to go for it if they want to beat Dundee United and Hearts in the fight to claim third spot and guarantee another crack at European glory.

Aberdeen FC boss Calderwood said: “If we all keep on dropping points the final target might drop a wee bit.

“But at the moment I reckon if we hit the 63-point mark it would be enough to guarantee third place and a return to Europe.

“We got 65 points the last time we finished third, so we know we can achieve our target.

“I’ve always said if you gather 15 points in each section of 11 games you are guaranteed to make the top six.

“But if you get 20 points every 11 games then you will be in Europe.

“We gained 22 points over the last group of 11, which was a massive boost as we fight to get to where we want to be.

“The pressure is growing now and the games will get harder.

“But there is a big incentive because third place would mean avoiding having to play Europa League qualifying games in early July.

“That would wreck our whole summer and mean the players only getting about two weeks off, so we have to set our sights as high as possible.â€

The Dons are currently a point behind United and Hearts, who they now face back to back in the league.

Calderwood would love to beat both to put the Dons in with a better chance of being in pole position when the SPL splits in the middle of April.

He said: “It would be a bit much to expect the players to clinch third spot before the split, although it is mathematically possible.

“The more sensible target is to attempt to win nine of the 14 league games we have left.

“If we get the bulk of those wins before the split, then even better.

“But if we are in third spot after the next nine, I’m convinced we will take a bit of stopping.â€

Calderwood accepts Saturday’s trip to Tynecastle is a tough way to continue their quest to finish third for the second time in three seasons.

But he says his men are heading for Edinburgh with their confidence high.

“We’ve not lost to Hearts this season, so we have good reason for believing we will do well down there,†he said.

“We were also unfortunate not to win both clashes with United, we were done in by daft defensive mistakes.

“They are massive games but we know how valuable two victories would be.

“We are desperate to grab the initiative in the race for the European places.â€

Remaining Fixtures:

Hearts (a)

United (h)

Killie (h)

St Mirren (a)

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

Motherwell (a)

ICT (h)

Celtic (a)

Top 6 Games:

? Celtic, Hearts, (h)

? Rangers, United (a)

+ 1 other

9 wins from 14? Pah, pessimistic approach. Let's get 14 wins out of 14. Anything less, and the players aren't fit to wear the red jersey of Aberdeen.

Seriously, though. I reckon we can do it ... by the following means:

Hearts (a) - D

United (h) - W

Killie (h) - W

St Mirren (a) - L

Hamilton (h) - W

Hibs (a) - D

Motherwell (a) - W

ICT (h) - W

Celtic (a) - W

Top 6 Games:

Celtic (a) - D

Hearts, (h) - W

Rangers (a) - D

United (a) - L

whoever (h) - W (we always win our last game of the season, regardless of who it's against)

9 wins from 14? Pah, pessimistic approach. Let's get 14 wins out of 14. Anything less, and the players aren't fit to wear the red jersey of Aberdeen.

Seriously, though. I reckon we can do it ... by the following means:

Hearts (a) - D

United (h) - W

Killie (h) - W

St Mirren (a) - L

Hamilton (h) - W

Hibs (a) - D

Motherwell (a) - W

ICT (h) - W

Celtic (a) - W

Top 6 Games:

Celtic (a) - D

Hearts, (h) - W

Rangers (a) - D

United (a) - L

whoever (h) - W (we always win our last game of the season, regardless of who it's against)

I'll swap your defeat at St Mirren for a the win at parkhead, although I suppose we have to expect at least one disaster or two

Agree we need to get through the next two games with a minimum of 2 points, then we must start winning against Killie, Helen St Mirren and Hamilton.  There'll be up's and down's to come though chaps, as usual it will be interesting.

Always is being an Aberdeen fan with a Euro run-in. We seem to be seeing more and more last-game-of-the-season spectaculars, where it comes down to the result with the Dons as to who gets into Europe, or who wins the title, or such. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure the last three seasons have seen Dons matches decide title-winners or Euro clinchers.

Last season we won 2-0 v huns to give the Tims the title (although they did it themselves really, winning at Tannadice)

Season before we won 2-0 v huns to get into Europe.

Season before that (I think) we beat Hearts but not by enough of a margin to get into Europe.

Of course this season we'll also have a cup final against Forfar to look forward to.  ;)

Exciting league finishes?

Run in - schmun in!

I preferred it when we were pumped in the league but going to Hampden to do congas with a striker in goals.

Your memory must be going too ST, it was Robbie Winters who ended up in goals.  ;)

Last season we won 2-0 v huns to give the Tims the title (although they did it themselves really, winning at Tannadice)

Season before we won 2-0 v huns to get into Europe.

Season before that (I think) we beat Hearts but not by enough of a margin to get into Europe.

Of course this season we'll also have a cup final against Forfar to look forward to.  ;)

No the only one. ;)

Exciting league finishes?

Run in - schmun in!

I preferred it when we were pumped in the league but going to Hampden to do congas with a striker in goals.

::)

some fans just cant let go of the past, do you still get an erection when you think about the conga? you mention it often enough  :wave: