Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mark McGhee - future Aberdeen manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would give him a whirl.

At the end of the day, Aberdeen are highly unlikely to see a manager at the club who will deliver much more than the sort of challenge we are putting in now on a consistent basis. We might uncover someone who can give us brief periods of excitement and temporarily have us believing that title challenges, European runs and cup victories are possible. However, if we found a manager who could deliver this regularly then he wouldn't be our manager for long enough to do so.

Bottom line is that McGhee is very much in the McLeish style. He would probably do something very interesting in his first season and then we would suffer any number of 'false Dons' (a la Daily Record headlines) after that. Personally, I might just take that one season wonder performance because if you are going to have to suffer inconsistency as a function of poverty then I'll take one killer season anytime.  :thumbsup:

Bottom line is that McGhee is very much in the McLeish style. He would probably do something very interesting in his first season and then we would suffer any number of 'false Dons' (a la Daily Record headlines) after that. Personally, I might just take that one season wonder performance because if you are going to have to suffer inconsistency as a function of poverty then I'll take one killer season anytime.  :thumbsup:

A "killer season" under McGhee would probably be 3rd place.  No thanks.  I'd prefer consistency over a period of time.  He'd do no better than Calderwood.

You have to look at it this way:  If McGhee hadn't played for us before then would you even be discussing him as an option?

I don't think we would.

For instance, if someone like Windass, Jess, Snelders or Gillhaus suddenly decided to have a pop at playing manager then there's no doubt in my mind they'd be touted on here as 'future managers' regardless of their abilities in the job.  In otherwords, BB's words to me last week ring true - nostalgic bollocks.

As Kow said, I'd rather have a steady ship which looks to improve each season.  A flash in the pan means one thing to me, players being signed for a few years that the next man doesn't want, need or like.  We've been down that road all too often.

Why the fuck can't people see that JC is doing a sterling job?!  :hammer:

That is true, in fairness, but it is just the nature of football that a lot of guys end up back where they once played.

I've no problem with that but Sir Alex never played for us and did a nae bad job.  ;)

I'd prefer the next man was picked on account of his cv and then they read the name out afterwards.

Jobs for the boys doesn't interest me and if you want old legends turning up on a Saturday then I'd prefer they were pulling raffle tickets out of a hat.  Unless of course they actually had a good track record as a manager.

I've no problem with that but Sir Alex never played for us and did a nae bad job.   ;)

I'd prefer the next man was picked on account of his cv and then they read the name out afterwards.

Jobs for the boys doesn't interest me and if you want old legends turning up on a Saturday then I'd prefer they were pulling raffle tickets out of a hat.  Unless of course they actually had a good track record as a manager.

It's all hypothetical at the minute anyway. And I'm pretty glad it is to be honest, don't think there's an outstanding candidate out there just now.

You have to look at it this way:  If McGhee hadn't played for us before then would you even be discussing him as an option?

I don't think we would.

For instance, if someone like Windass, Jess, Snelders or Gillhaus suddenly decided to have a pop at playing manager then there's no doubt in my mind they'd be touted on here as 'future managers' regardless of their abilities in the job.  In otherwords, BB's words to me last week ring true - nostalgic bollocks.

As Kow said, I'd rather have a steady ship which looks to improve each season.  A flash in the pan means one thing to me, players being signed for a few years that the next man doesn't want, need or like.  We've been down that road all too often.

Why the fuck can't people see that JC is doing a sterling job?!   :hammer:

Sorry, I read the thread as a speculative effort at how the future might look, wasn't aware I had stumbled back into the relentless, bloody minded defence of everything Aberdeen party. If there are any plans to move the discussion on to new thoughts and opinons then give us a shout, I'll leave my carry out in the fridge in anticipation of better discourse after we have steadied the ship and the flood waters have subsided  ;)

Sorry, I read the thread as a speculative effort at how the future might look, wasn't aware I had stumbled back into the relentless, bloody minded defence of everything Aberdeen party. If there are any plans to move the discussion on to new thoughts and opinons then give us a shout, I'll leave my carry out in the fridge in anticipation of better discourse after we have steadied the ship and the flood waters have subsided  ;)

Thats the thing though Ajja, the fickle and sometimes nonsensical attitude of some AFC fans means that ordinarily level headed and even minded folks will eventually have a tendency to get thier hackles up.

Dunno what the fuck ST is doing right enough. ;)

Get fucked.

Just kidding.  :thumbsup:

I'm all for listening to people's thoughts and opinions but let's be honest here, this is getting dragged up yet again because a section of our fan base don't like our manager and can't wait to get rid.

But if you want to start 5 different threads with suitable replacements for Lee Miller or Jamie Langfield then be my guest.  ;)

Just kidding.   :thumbsup:

I'm all for listening to people's thoughts and opinions but let's be honest here, this is getting dragged up yet again because a section of our fan base don't like our manager and can't wait to get rid.

But if you want to start 5 different threads with suitable replacements for Lee Miller or Jamie Langfield then be my guest.   ;)

As much as we would like to, there is very little opportunity to control what people will post and comment on with these forums so we just have to run with it, ignore it or swim against it. However, eventually a forum like ours with a relatively manageable amount of traffic will eventually settle into having a 'personality'. Call it what you will, a prevailing opinion, a cultural norm, an accepted viewpoint, it will happen and on DT it feels like the personality is getting a little one sided for me. I am very much with you guys in terms of pragmatism and the avoidance of myopic thinking. The reason I 'live' on DT is the quality of discussion and debate and the reasoned debate over-riding the knee jerk nonsense. However, when we get to the point that its very difficult to make any sort of critical comments about Aberdeen without being pushed out or labelled as some sort of harbinger of doom then the balance gets off centre. Thats when forums become exclusive not inclusive and I think that detracts from their value.

I'm not sure why I am ranting about this but its been getting me down lately  :(

Guest onlyjim

Mark McGhee's managerial career

Team                              From                  To              Games        Won      Lost      Drawn

Motherwell                18-06-2007            Present            77              30        30          17

Brighton                    28-10-2003        08-09-2006        139            40        61          38

Millwall                      25-09-2000          15-10-2003        163            75        49          39

Wolves                      13-12-1995        05-11-1998        159              65        55          39

Leicester                  14-12-1994          07-12-1995        51              16          21          14

Reading                    10-05-1991        14-12-1994        183              79        53          51

As much as we would like to, there is very little opportunity to control what people will post and comment on with these forums so we just have to run with it, ignore it or swim against it. However, eventually a forum like ours with a relatively manageable amount of traffic will eventually settle into having a 'personality'. Call it what you will, a prevailing opinion, a cultural norm, an accepted viewpoint, it will happen and on DT it feels like the personality is getting a little one sided for me. I am very much with you guys in terms of pragmatism and the avoidance of myopic thinking. The reason I 'live' on DT is the quality of discussion and debate and the reasoned debate over-riding the knee jerk nonsense. However, when we get to the point that its very difficult to make any sort of critical comments about Aberdeen without being pushed out or labelled as some sort of harbinger of doom then the balance gets off centre. Thats when forums become exclusive not inclusive and I think that detracts from their value.

I'm not sure why I am ranting about this but its been getting me down lately  :(

I completely agree with this and made a half arsed attempt at saying so earlier in the thread about the Falkirk game when we were discussing JC going with 3 at the back. There's no other way round it, myself and a couple of others were moaning about the 3 at the back, and that isn't to say I wanted our manager hung, drawn and quartered for it, but it's a legitimate gripe.

But it then appears we don't have any scope for criticising the guy because it appears to others we'd be better off on KKK.  I fully accept that some folk will moan about the club from the smallest little things like the club shop was a bit stuffy when they were in it after the last home game and JC's shirt was outside his trousers while he was standing on the touchline and it shows a lack of self respect and self control  ;) , but most of the posters on this site are reasonable people most of the time. We all want the best for our club, that is inevitably going to bring about a few moans and that's the way it should be as long as it's structured and constructive.

I completely agree with this and made a half arsed attempt at saying so earlier in the thread about the Falkirk game when we were discussing JC going with 3 at the back. There's no other way round it, myself and a couple of others were moaning about the 3 at the back, and that isn't to say I wanted our manager hung, drawn and quartered for it, but it's a legitimate gripe.

But it then appears we don't have any scope for criticising the guy because it appears to others we'd be better off on KKK.  I fully accept that some folk will moan about the club from the smallest little things like the club shop was a bit stuffy when they were in it after the last home game and JC's shirt was outside his trousers while he was standing on the touchline and it shows a lack of self respect and self control  ;) , but most of the posters on this site are reasonable people most of the time. We all want the best for our club, that is inevitably going to bring about a few moans and that's the way it should be as long as it's structured and constructive.

I hope your next shite's a hedgehog.

:wave:

I can add nothing to that.  ;D

I can...

It was a well structured post, one that showed the emotion he was feeling towards you at that exact moment in time.  Much better than just saying, "you're a f*cking idiot" for example.

And it was constructive in that it may help you improve your posts, quite a helpful post to be honest as you probably would've taken his words on board.

So in conclusion, that was a structured and constructive post Andrew, as some of your ramblings also make me think "I hope he sh*tes a hedgehog".

In response, Andrew will say something like...

but you have 550 boos so who's laughing now?

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Pre-Motherwell managerial career:

1991 - 1994 Reading - Won division 2 title in second season; quit long term contract to join Leicester

1994 - 1995 Leicester City - relegated in first season (they were in the relegation zone when he joined); quit less than a year into job to join Wolves

1995 - 1998 Wolves - sacked

2000 - 2003 Millwall - won division 2 title in first season; eventually resigned

2003 - 2006 Brighton & Hove Albion - won play off in first season to get into the Championship; sacked after being relegated in third season