Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Mackie deserves a Dons tribute

Mackie deserves a Dons tribute

Jimmy’s praise for striker

Published: 28/01/2009

JIMMY Calderwood wants Darren Mackie to sign a new Dons deal and be rewarded with a Pittodrie testimonial.

The Dons boss insists if Mackie stays in Aberdeen, he should be hailed for giving more than 10 years’ service.

Mackie is out of contract in the summer and could leave the Reds for nothing.

However, Calderwood is hopeful the 27-year-old will soon put pen to paper and commit to the club.

If he does, the Aberdeen manager believes Mackie deserves a tribute.

Calderwood said: “If Darren signs this new contract he will have been at the club for more than 10 years.

“I would think he’s due a testimonial as well, which says a lot about the character of the lad.

“He is Aberdeen through and through.

“He loves the club and if he wasn’t a football player here, he’d be supporting the team.

“He trains hard and just gets on with things.

“Darren is living the dream because he’s an Aberdeen fan.

“It’s brilliant for him and he thoroughly deserves it.â€

Mackie is often criticised for his lack of goals. The speedy attacker has just 58 strikes to his name following his top team debut in 1999.

But Calderwood is still surprised by the level of negative comments directed at Mackie.

The Dons boss points out that Mackie has scored several crucial goals for the club – most notably in Dnipro.

Calderwood said: “Darren is an absolute gem and it amazes me the amount of stick he gets.

“He’s had bad games, don’t get me wrong.

“But then we won a wonderful game in Dnipro.

“We wouldn’t have won it if it wasn’t for Darren Mackie.

“I don’t think people should forget that.

“I knew if Darren was fit we had a great chance of winning a game against a very good team.â€

Mackie’s dramatic diving header against Dnipro saw Aberdeen emerge from the Ukraine with a 1-1 draw.

Following a goalless first leg, that away goal was enough to take the Dons into the lucrative UEFA Cup group stages.

Mackie cruelly missed those games through injury, but returned for the last-32 glamour tie with German giants Bayern Munich.

This season Mackie has gone on to form a potent partnership with Lee Miller.

But for the last three games, the Kemnay striker has been stationed on the right of midfield.

Calderwood’s change in tactics helped the Dons to wins against Kilmarnock and Celtic, followed by last Saturday’s home draw with Rangers.

The Reds manager believes Mackie is a valuable addition to his side as a winger.

Calderwood said: “I played Darren wide in midfield because he does a great job for us in that situation.

“Tactically he is very aware, so it’s always an option.

“He has the pace and fitness levels to get up and down the park all day long.â€

But despite adapting well to his new role, Mackie is likely to be used as a striker again.

Calderwood believes that is his strongest role, where he is an ideal foil for hitman Miller.

Calderwood said: “Obviously, Darren’s best position is upfront.

“Darren and Lee are a formidable partnership when they are together.

“There is strength and pace up there.

“They also read each other well.â€

With Mackie out wide, Sone Aluko was charged with partnering the in-form Miller and Calderwood reckons the former Birmingham City player brings a new dimension to his forward line.

The Dons boss said: “Sone lacks Darren’s strength, but he definitely has the same kind of pace.

“He also has a few more tricks than Darren, and that asks questions of other defenders.â€

He should get a testimonial - but I think it should be a pre-season match, against fairly big opposition if we can get it. Any competitive midweek game is poorly attended now, never mind a testimonial.

Many people won't turn up at a midweek testimonial at Pittodrie - that's their prerogative - but I object to some folk actively putting people off attending it.

Macki-Macki-Macki-Macki-gol,

Macki-gol,

Macki-Go-oh-ol!!!

As many supporters live in Central Scotland, there is no way to get home after a midweek game Jager which will definitely contribute to poor attendances.

Although according to some Aiberdeen loons on Saturday after hun game in pub, anyone not born and still living in Abdn shouldn't be supporters  ::)

Cheeky wee buggers!  :thumbsup:

Wasn't having a go about folk not being able to attend midweek - no public transport or work the next day makes that too difficult.

However, there's many folk living in the city and shire who won't be fucked to attend midweek.

Hell, I can see a floodlight fae my front windae and I still canna abe arsed with midweek fitba most of the time!  ;)

Corrected it for you Mr Half-Time :thumbsup:

Ye must've been in a shite pub then!

:lolabove:

Hmmm, maybe true as Stoney and Heppy there last time I was before Sat!  :-\

From my experience though I haven't been, and won't be, back in your local as owner turned a blind eye to a guy beating up his girlfriend one night I was there  >:D

Will not be bothering turning up to a testimonial for Mackie. I know has a local loon, would run through walls for the club etc but he is a pish footballer and should have been punted long ago.

Bollocks.

He's been a great servant for the club and although he's not the most gifted, he's easily worthy of a testimonial.

I'm sure most of us attended Teddy Scott's testimonial.  A man who had a broom cupboard at Pittodrie full of empty champagne bottles, old scarves and more stinky used football shirts than Craig Bellamy, Jim Hamilton and Nicolas Anelka combined.  Other than that I'm not really sure what Teddy did for us to warrent 20,000 people turning up to honour him?

He certainly never put us through to the last 32 in the UEFA cup.  He never robbed the ball off of Rab Douglas and gave us the best Xmas present ever.  He never lept like a salmon and nodded in the goal that gave us a trip to Berlin.  Nor did he jump ship to other teams when he's been offered a better deal because he's one of us.

Personally I'm pwoud, vewy pwoud we have a player like Darren Mackie at our club.

Bollocks.

He's been a great servant for the club and although he's not the most gifted, he's easily worthy of a testimonial.

I'm sure most of us attended Teddy Scott's testimonial.  A man who had a broom cupboard at Pittodrie full of empty champagne bottles, old scarves and more stinky used football shirts than Craig Bellamy, Jim Hamilton and Nicolas Anelka combined.  Other than that I'm not really sure what Teddy did for us to warrent 20,000 people turning up to honour him?

He certainly never put us through to the last 32 in the UEFA cup.  He never robbed the ball off of Rab Douglas and gave us the best Xmas present ever.  He never lept like a salmon and nodded in the goal that gave us a trip to Berlin.  Nor did he jump ship to other teams when he's been offered a better deal because he's one of us.

Personally I'm pwoud, vewy pwoud we have a player like Darren Mackie at our club.

Seriously?  He's credited as being a major part in the development of McLeish, Miller, Hewitt, Simpson, Cooper and Black. He also had a major hand in the coaching of Brian Grant, David Robertson, Eoin Jess and Scott Booth.

Seriously?  He's credited as being a major part in the development of McLeish, Miller, Hewitt, Simpson, Cooper and Black. He also had a major hand in the coaching of Brian Grant, David Robertson, Eoin Jess and Scott Booth.

Well there you go.  I just thought he was a pal of Sir Alex and used to sleep on the snooker table when he missed the last bus back to Ellon.  ;)

My point was that if someone behind the scenes gets honoured with a testimonial, then someone who has played in the first team for over 10 years certainly deserves one.

Well there you go.  I just thought he was a pal of Sir Alex and used to sleep on the snooker table when he missed the last bus back to Ellon.   ;)

My point was that if someone behind the scenes gets honoured with a testimonial, then someone who has played in the first team for over 10 years certainly deserves one.

You should have said that then.

To be honest with you, that's sentimental bollocks.  The criteria for getting a testimonial is ten years service, if he fits the criteria then he should get a testimonial regardless of those things you list (the one with Rab Douglas is tenuous at best, incidentally). Teddy Scott's was for 40 or 50 years service, so I think your flippancy is rather ill advised.

I won't begrudge Mackie a testimonial, but let's not pretend he's the second coming of John Hewitt, eh?  He's done some good things for us as you'd expect in ten years service and he's been an honest player and I thank him for that. He's also been fucking awful for some of that ten years service which exasperates me as to how he's still with us. 

Good luck to the guy if he gets a testimonial, maybe once his is done we can get round to sorting out Simmie's.

I'm not sure I understand the argument here. On a very crude basis, 10 years = testimonial, yes ?

Aside from that simple axiom. What is the damage in doing it ?

You set up a game, those who want to come and pay respect..... well, I guess they come.

Those who think he is a waste of skin......well, I guess they stay at home.

Darren gets a pay out based on the numbers who deem him worthy. The cost to the club is real but surely not inhibitive. Job done.

Pissing and moaning about whether he deserves it or not is utterly redundant and self-congratulatory bollocks.

I'm not sure I understand the argument here. On a very crude basis, 10 years = testimonial, yes ?

Aside from that simple axiom. What is the damage in doing it ?

You set up a game, those who want to come and pay respect..... well, I guess they come.

Those who think he is a waste of skin......well, I guess they stay at home.

Darren gets a pay out based on the numbers who deem him worthy. The cost to the club is real but surely not inhibitive. Job done.

Pissing and moaning about whether he deserves it or not is utterly redundant and self-congratulatory bollocks.

Precisely.

You should have said that then.

To be honest with you, that's sentimental bollocks.  The criteria for getting a testimonial is ten years service, if he fits the criteria then he should get a testimonial regardless of those things you list (the one with Rab Douglas is tenuous at best, incidentally). Teddy Scott's was for 40 or 50 years service, so I think your flippancy is rather ill advised.

I won't begrudge Mackie a testimonial, but let's not pretend he's the second coming of John Hewitt, eh?  He's done some good things for us as you'd expect in ten years service and he's been an honest player and I thank him for that. He's also been fucking awful for some of that ten years service which exasperates me as to how he's still with us. 

Good luck to the guy if he gets a testimonial, maybe once his is done we can get round to sorting out Simmie's.

The Teddy Scott thing was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

What I'm trying to say is that folk have said "I won't be going" purely because it's Darren's gig.  What happens if Man United or another team of such stature gets pulled in, are they going to stick to their guns just because it's his testimonial?

Poor show if that's the case and I for one am embarressed to know that they're 'supporting' my team.

As for it being sentimental bollocks - If there's ever any time for sentimentallity then I'd suggest that a testimonial for one of our longest serving players is probably that time.

A Dons-daft local lad who has given everything he has over the last ten years.  Limited ability he may have, but as Dons ourselves, it's quite easy for any one of us to put ourselves in Mackie's place, and successive managers have deemed him good enough to remain with us all these years.  They know more about his ability and attitude and commitment to the cause than any of us do.  Mackie deserves his testimonial.  He plays for our team and has given us good service over the years.  People can choose whatever reasons they like for not attending such an event, but if one of them is "because he is shite", then ask youself why you're travelling to Montrose or Brechin for a meaningless midweek pre-season friendly.  Such an attitude is typical of the small-minded divisiveness our club's support has.  On that note, whatever happened to the red army as the 12th man?  I think everyone quickly realised what an ironically embarrassing notion that was.

On that note, whatever happened to the red army as the 12th man?  I think everyone quickly realised what an ironically embarrassing notion that was.

The 'Red Army' still is No.12

As for Mackie, he's been at Pittodrie as long as I have! I doubt i'd recegnise a squad list without his name on it. He definately deserves one, and i'll be there, even if it's against Locos on a rainy Monday night in Inverurie. He's never been the greatest player, but his head & heart are both in the right place, and how many else can say that in out starting XI??

The 'Red Army' still is No.12

As for Mackie, he's been at Pittodrie as long as I have! I doubt i'd recegnise a squad list without his name on it. He definately deserves one, and i'll be there, even if it's against Locos on a rainy Monday night in Inverurie. He's never been the greatest player, but his head & heart are both in the right place, and how many else can say that in out starting XI??

It'd get postponed.