Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Get well soon Drew

DONS hero Drew Jarvie was recovering in hospital today after undergoing life-saving heart surgery.

The 60-year-old underwent a heart valve repair after it was initially thought he would need a valve replacement.

Drew’s wife said the operation had been a complete success and he was recovering well.

Janette Jarvie said: “He’s doing really well and he’ll be delighted to hear everyone is asking for him.

“The staff here have been absolutely fantastic and we’ve been really well looked after.

“Drew has been having hospital appointments for about 10 years and the doctors in Aberdeen have been fantastic too.

“We knew he was going to need the operation at some point but that’s it done now.â€

Surgeons at Golden Jubilee National Hospital, near Clydebank, had intended to carry out a heart valve replacement but were able to repair the valve instead.

Drew has been moved out of intensive care and into the High Dependency Unit. He could be moved to a general ward in a day or two and could be released from hospital early next week.

Today fellow Dons legends wished the striker, who was part of the 1976 league cup and 1980 league winning sides, a speedy recovery.

Drew formed a prolific partnership with fellow striker Joe Harper in the 1970s.

The King of the Beach End said: “I hope he gets well soon – he’s one of my golfing partners and I’ve been carrying him for years!

“He’s always saying he carried me when we played together so the least I can do is return the favour!â€

Dons spokesman Dave Macdermid said: “On behalf of everyone at the club, our thoughts are with Drew and Janette at this time and we wish Drew a speedy recovery.

“We’re delighted to hear the operation went well and we’re looking forward to seeing him back at Pittodrie soon.â€

Former Aberdeen captain and Evening Express columnist, Stewart McKimmie, said: “I watched him when I was younger and he scored a lot of fine goals for Aberdeen.

“He always gave 100% and is a really nice bloke. Football is his life and I wish him a speedy recovery.

“He’s the kind of guy that football needs. He has still got a very keen interest in Aberdeen. I see him regularly at Pittodrie and I hope to see him back there again soon.â€

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish said: “Drew is a great guy and I, along with my coaches Roy Aitken and Andy Watson, were saddened to hear that he has had to go into hospital.

“I’ve known Drew a long time and Roy, Andy and I all worked with him at Aberdeen so on behalf of the three of us I’d like let him know that we’re thinking about him and to wish him a speedy recovery.â€

Drew – who played for Aberdeen between 1972 and 1982 – remains the Dons’ fifth top scorer with 85 league goals and a total of 137 for the club.

He netted against both Fortuna Dusseldorf and Borussia Monchengladbach in European competitions.

Drew helped develop the Dons’ young guns during a spell as under-21 coach at Pittodrie and was involved with players including Darren Mackie and Zander Diamond.