Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Falkirk

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1486414,00.html

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/7b/d8/0,,10284~4774011,00.jpg[/img]

Jimmy Calderwood spoke to RedTV/Northsound at lunchtime as he previewed the Falkirk game tomorrow. He started by giving the latest team news.

"The injury news ahead of the game tomorrow is that Sone Aluko and Jamie Smith are both out but will return to the squad training on Monday so it looks as if they may be ready to face Inverness away next weekend.

"Bossu is coming on well also and should hopefully be available for selection next week. Tommy Wright and Stuart Duff are both out also.

"We face Falkirk this weekend and it is going to be a very tough game. We have a real chance to close the gap on Hearts and Dundee United, given that they both face tough games against the Old Firm. Hopefully the results will go our way and we can possibly reduce the gap between ourselves and third place to five points.

"Falkirk may not have had the best run of luck but they are very dangerous. We know here how good a striker Lovell is and he is having a good run of form at the moment. If our defenders can stop him in his tracks, and they have the advantage of knowing some of his weaknesses, then that will be a huge bonus.

"We have had a good few games at home and we want to build on this and get Pittodrie back to what it used to be."

Guest swaddon

If the weather tomoro afternoon is anything like the monsoon/hurricane/gale/blizzard that is going on outside just now, it'll be a pretty wee crowd.

I hope Jimmy's not building this up to be a "must win" game - we're shite at those  :(

It should be a piss easy game and I reckon we'll romp on the bairns  :-\

You're right, it should be a piss easy game, but we all said that about the Hamilton game earlier this season.

But that was months ago, so surely we won't be slipping back into old ways? We'll find out tomorrow. I reckon we'll slaughter Falkirk, but with Aberdeen, you never know what they're going to do.

image.cgi?resolution=640x480&camera=1&compression=25&date=1&clock=1&text=1

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/985892

With their main rivals up against the Old Firm, Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew sees a big chance for the Dons today.

Victory against Falkirk at Pittodrie would probably close the gap in Aberdeen’s race for third place and Europe.

The Dons go into the match on the back of three consecutive shut-out home victories, while third-place Dundee United host Rangers at lunchtime before fourth-place Hearts take on leaders Celtic at Parkhead.

Mulgrew reckons there is s great opportunity to close the eight-point gap. He said: “We need to string a run of wins together like Dundee United and Hearts have to catch them up. They are playing the Old Firm this weekend and obviously they still have to face each other so the gap is something we can definitely overhaul. We have a game in hand over Dundee United as well so it is all there for us.

“But we won't be relying on other sides to do us favours as Hearts and United are capable of taking points from Rangers and Celtic.â€

Mulgrew has set his sights on third spot and a return to Europe next season. He also is hoping his form at Aberdeen can help earn him an international call up.

He said: “I came through the ranks with the likes of Ross McCormack and Steven Fletcher and these guys have made a deserved step up to George Burley's squad.

“It would be great to join them in the Scotland set-up.

“I loved playing for the under-21s so it would be a dream come true to go on to the big team in the future as it would fulfil an ambition of mine. Everyone wants to play for their country and I am no different as far as that goes.

“The aim is to become a regular at Aberdeen, work hard every day at my game and hope that gets me involved with the national team. Getting back in to European football is a massive incentive. I enjoyed watching Aberdeen’s Uefa Cup campaign on television last season and I’d love to be part of it in the future.â€

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/985844

Falkirk determined to wipe the Pittodrie slate clean

Published: 13/12/2008

Falkirk manager John Hughes is anxious to erase the memories of his side’s defeat to St Mirren by ending an unwanted record at Aberdeen.

The Bairns’ disappointing 2-1 home loss last weekend has left them hovering just three points above bottom spot.

Despite playing some impressive, passing football at times this term, Falkirk’s failure to turn draws into victories has proved their undoing.

It will also not be lost on Bairns supporters heading north today that the last time they visited the Granite City, their team was playing for a place in the top-six of last season’s table.

The Dons beat them to that achievement and also preserved an incredible home record against the Bairns, with Falkirk last winning at Pittodrie in March 1958.

Hughes, clearly dejected after last weekend, is therefore keen to triumph for various reasons. He said: “The record is just one of these things. Some teams have got your number. It would, though, be nice to get the monkey off our back.

“It’s a very difficult venue against a good team, who possibly after a slow start have really picked up. Their achievements last season tell you what you’re up against.

“Everybody on their day is capable of beating each other in the SPL. If I’m totally honest, what the boys have given me, we’ve not always got what we deserved. But that’s football, sometimes it’s got that habit.â€

Hughes will be without ex-Don Jackie McNamara after his red card last weekend, with the right back picking up a further ban after reaching the disciplinary points barrier.

Hughes’s players could have put eight points between themselves and the Buddies last weekend if they had won, but he does not want the disappointment to linger. He added: “What you need to do is not feel sorry for yourself and get yourself ready to go the next week.

“That’s the good thing about football, you always get the opportunity the next week to get it right.

“After coming off a bad result against St Mirren and a disappointing one, hopefully we can go up to Aberdeen and try and put things right.â€

But at least we've got a 4 and 0 home success rate at the moment ;)

So what was the game like anyway?

We played really well, solid enough defensively, just could have done with a knocking a few more in, we dominated enough to do that.

I'm just wondering when it was we went to one up front?

Mackie could have done with coming off, he ran his balls off, touch of a fucking elephant at times though.

Maguire was stinking, ran the ball out at least twice, bloody annoying.

We played really well, solid enough defensively, just could have done with a knocking a few more in, we dominated enough to do that.

I'm just wondering when it was we went to one up front?

Mackie could have done with coming off, he ran his balls off, touch of a fucking elephant at times though.

Maguire was stinking, ran the ball out at least twice, bloody annoying.

So it was pretty much what I could work out from the radio then. They said Mackie played well but his "shooting was something to be desired for" or something along those lines. Quite amusing as obviously I agreed with them. His shot that made the corner flag was a good chance to make it 3-0 or was it not as clear cut? I doubt the highlights will show most of these which is why I'm asking  ;)

People on MAD are saying it was JdV best game in a red shirt or had a very good game? I do hope he gets a run in the side and stays injury free as he clearly has the skills, just needs a bit of time in the team and by all accounts seems to have shed a few pounds to give him some "pace" ;)

JdV had a decent game, good passer.

Mackie's shot was pretty dire but it was a good few yards away from the corner flag, a similar distance from the upright though!

Mackie covered so much ground, constantly putting the ball under pressure when the Falkirk defence had it. Useless when the ball was played to him though, lost the ball really cheaply, much the same as Maguire.

Mulgrew has recovered some form, less fucking about, more direct which was difficult with Maguire in front of him.

Foster looked sharp when he came on, made some good runs but got a nosebleed at the business end and took the wrong option at times. McDonald was very good, again grafted well but lost the ball a couple of times and one of them could have been very costly.

Defence must have done well, nothing really to say about them. ;D