Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pittodire Pitch to be ruined?

Reds in a rage at state of pitch

Published: 25/11/2008

SNOW JOKE: Ground staff clear the Pittodrie pitch of snow before Scotland’s match with Canada.

More Pictures

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood is worried the Scotland v Canada rugby international has wrecked the Pittodrie pitch.

Calderwood is also furious the rugby players and officials left the dressing rooms in a mess after the match, which the Scots won 41-0.

The Reds manager admitted it will be nearer to the end of the week before they will know if the pitch will recover from the battering it took from having to clear snow off it to get the game played.

Calderwood said: “It’s not at its best, but we will be able to get a more accurate picture by Thursday. The ground staff will work their socks off to get it ready for the Motherwell game.â€

Calderwood slated the state the dressing rooms were left in.

He said: “When staff came in to clean them they couldn’t believe the mess.

“They didn’t treat the facilities with any respect.

“The officials’ room was the worst, it seemed as if they had never been told what bins are for.â€

A Scottish Rugby spokesman said: “Scottish Rugby always respects the changing rooms and facilities we use, whether home or away, and Saturday at Pittodrie was no different.â€

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/955895

I see the Scotsman have had a pop:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/SRU-denies-turning-stadium-into.4730753.jp

SRU denies turning stadium into 'tip'

Published Date: 26 November 2008

By David Kelso

THE Scottish Rugby Union has flatly denied a claim that their players left Pittodrie in a mess after the autumn Test triumph over Canada on Saturday.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood accused both teams and the match officials of failing to treat the facilities with any respect – claiming the changing rooms had been abandoned in a "disgraceful state."

But last night it emerged that Calderwood hadn't even seen the so-called "absolute tip" and was making the allegations on the strength of tittle-tattle from cleaners.

Red-faced club backroom staff admitted Calderwood's outburst was "totally over the top" and insisted the Scots rugby side will be welcome back "at any time."

An SRU spokesman declared: "The Scotland rugby team always respects changing rooms and facilities, whether home or away and Saturday at Pittodrie was no exception."

He was backed up by a senior Aberdeen FC insider, who stressed: "The changing rooms were left in no worse or better a state than after any SPL fixture.

"You also have to consider the fact that they were being used by 15 players in the starting line-up and seven substitutes – along with all the physios and medics.

"Rugby players also have much more in the way of strapping and other disposable equipment.

"There were no problems. As far as the club are concerned, Jimmy's views on the matter were based on hearsay. What he said was totally over the top.

"He was at Ibrox with the team at the time and so was not in a position to witness the condition of the changing rooms.

"Saturday was a great occasion for Pittodrie. We staged a major sporting event, attracted a big crowd and Scotland pulled off an excellent victory.

"As far as we are concerned, the Scotland rugby squad will be welcomed back with open arms any time in the future."

In his rant, Calderwood described the rugby international as a "fabulous occasion with a near sell-out crowd" but added: "When staff came in to clean up the dressing rooms they couldn't believe the mess.

"It was an absolute tip to put it mildly and the officials' room was worst of the lot. It seemed as if they had never been told what bins are for. No SPL club has ever left Pittodrie in such a state and when we are on our travels we always tidy up before we leave.

"Rugby apparently has a very different code of behaviour and it was very disappointing to see our ground abused like that.

"It was the board's decision to stage the event and in my opinion it wasn't taken to generate more income in the current financial climate. It was taken to show certain people Aberdeen is capable of handling an international match."

Calderwood also moaned about the state of the playing surface, which had to be swept of snow before the kick-off.

"The weather was more of a factor than the actual rugby and right now the pitch has not recovered. It's not at its best but by Thursday I should be able to give a more accurate assessment of the playing surface."

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/960127

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today confirmed the Pittodrie pitch won’t be up to scratch for their SPL clash with Motherwell.

The club’s groundstaff have been working around the clock to repair the pitch in the wake of last weekend’s rugby international between Scotland and Canada.

But Calderwood, pictured right, reckons it could be another fortnight before it is restored to the standard he would like.

“The pitch is okay, that’s the best I will say about it at this stage,†said Calderwood, who will have top scorer Darren Mackie back for tomorrow’s game.

“The groundstaff have been working their socks off and have done a great job to get it flat and looking as well as it does.

“But it’s likely to be another two weeks before it’s as good as we want – and that’s only if we don’t get hit badly by frost.

“The markings from the rugby game are still on it as well. That might cause a wee bit of confusion at times tomorrow, but I’m sure the players will cope.â€

When asked if he would be urging the club to decline any offers to host rugby matches in the future, Calderwood replied: “I will be having a friendly meeting about that behind closed doors. I’d rather not say anything else at the moment.â€

Calderwood had already slated the state the rugby players and officials left the Pittodrie dressing rooms in after the match, which Scotland won 41-0.

The SRU denied that, but Calderwood is sticking to his guns.

He is also hunting for the “senior figure from Pittodrie†who was quoted criticising his comments about the match in a national newspaper.

He said: “I won’t be retracting a word of what I said. Every accusation I made was right.

“The rugby people left the place looking like a tip.

“I would also love to know who the ‘senior figure from Pittodrie’ who claimed I was out of order is.

The directors have denied speaking to anyone. I’m now checking through the club and I will find him.â€

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today confirmed the Pittodrie pitch won’t be up to scratch for their SPL clash with Motherwell.

The club’s groundstaff have been working around the clock to repair the pitch in the wake of last weekend’s rugby international between Scotland and Canada.

But Calderwood, pictured right, reckons it could be another fortnight before it is restored to the standard he would like.

“The pitch is okay, that’s the best I will say about it at this stage,†said Calderwood, who will have top scorer Darren Mackie back for tomorrow’s game.

“The groundstaff have been working their socks off and have done a great job to get it flat and looking as well as it does.

“But it’s likely to be another two weeks before it’s as good as we want – and that’s only if we don’t get hit badly by frost.

“The markings from the rugby game are still on it as well. That might cause a wee bit of confusion at times tomorrow, but I’m sure the players will cope.â€

When asked if he would be urging the club to decline any offers to host rugby matches in the future, Calderwood replied: “I will be having a friendly meeting about that behind closed doors. I’d rather not say anything else at the moment.â€

Calderwood had already slated the state the rugby players and officials left the Pittodrie dressing rooms in after the match, which Scotland won 41-0.

The SRU denied that, but Calderwood is sticking to his guns.

He is also hunting for the “senior figure from Pittodrie†who was quoted criticising his comments about the match in a national newspaper.

He said: “I won’t be retracting a word of what I said. Every accusation I made was right.

“The rugby people left the place looking like a tip.

“I would also love to know who the ‘senior figure from Pittodrie’ who claimed I was out of order is.

The directors have denied speaking to anyone. I’m now checking through the club and I will find him.â€

In that case we're fucked up here then

Guest swaddon
“I would also love to know who the ‘senior figure from Pittodrie’ who claimed I was out of order is. The directors have denied speaking to anyone. I’m now checking through the club and I will find him.â€

:ooh: